His colors

Hellooo, so as a surprise my cousin got me a valid chameleon for christmas and dropped him off like 3 or 4 days ago. He seems to be healthy, when he’s in his cage he’s a green and drown color, but he pretty much begs to get out of his cage so when i let him out he turns to a bright vibrant green and turquoise color. when i leave him alone for a hour he turns dark but when i’m around him he becomes brighter. I was told to leave him alone in he’s cage for a few days but he seems happier out of his cage. please any suggestions on what i should do or explain his behavior?!

Can you post some photos of both your chameleon and the entire enclosure including lights?

The "bright" colors he shows could be his stress/defensive colors.
Wanting out of the cage is usually a sign that he's unhappy with something in the cage. This is often temperature related.
And last... are you sure you have a boy? How old is he?

Bright colors are a sign of warning, as with any animal.
Post a picture of your enclosure, from the lights down and fill in the health form.
I will post it in one sec....

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I currently in quarantine and i’m not able to get the proper plants/uvb light yet but this is him inside of his cage and when i took him out he claimed on my sister and this was him on her head.(i carefully took him down and let him climb on her arm for a minute or two.) in the second picture are those defensive/stressed colors?

Attachments

• 2BF04263-207C-40B1-ADC6-54F4F3F5A6D8.png
    2BF04263-207C-40B1-ADC6-54F4F3F5A6D8.png
    818.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 4400F736-AA45-43EE-BB1E-1508C42EE206.png
    4400F736-AA45-43EE-BB1E-1508C42EE206.png
    790.5 KB · Views: 157
Well, it would help to fill out the form. You cant order the correct T5 5.0 light and fixture online? Proper UV is crucial.

Those colors look fine. You are advised to leave him be in his enclosure so he can get used to his new home and surroundings. He does have a few of the stress spots appearing, but he doesn't appear to be too stressed.

Make sure he cannot get too close to the light that it burns him. And, in addition to the lighting, you will need supplements. I recommend getting a calcium with NO D3, and reptivite WITH D3. You'll dust every feeding with calcium, and 2 times a month (I do the 1st and 15th) use the reptivite multivitamin.

He will also need an xl reptibreeze, 2ftx2xftx4ft enclosure.

It looks good for a start, with what you have, but there are some things that a chameleon absolutely needs too.

1. Valid Chameleon, male, 9 months, 4 days
  2. I’ve only handled him once for maybe 5 minutes
  3. I try and give him 8 crickets but so far every day he’s only eaten 2 or 3 a day, i feed him around 9 am, and i’m feeding the crickets lettuce and carrots (that’s all i have at the moment)
  4. Im not able to get any supplements until saturday or sunday.
  5. I have a little dripper for his cage and i mist his cage with warm water for 3-4 minutes every 2 or 3 hours. i occasionally see him drink.
  6. His droppings were solid with white at the end but a few have had a light orange tint. No
  7. I don’t have any previous information about him because he’s only been in my care for a few days.
  8. I have a mesh cage that is 60x45x90
  9. I have a normal house light 75w for his basking and a compound 5.0 uvb fluorescent lamp (i know that uvb is the wrong light i just can’t currently get the right one... when i do i will update!) i have a 12/12 hour schedule lights off at 8:30pm and lights on at 8:30 am.
  10. His ambient temperature ranges from 72°-80° and his basking temperature is around 88°-92°. lowest overnight temp is around 65-70 (it’s been a bit cold but not to bad, if it ever gets lower then 60 i have a heat emitter). i have a thermometer that i bought on amazon (but i’m playing on getting a temp gun)
  11. The humidity levels rang from 42-48, i most his cage to keep the humidity but if it gets low i put a cut out piece of shower curtain on one side of the cage. The thermometer doubles at a humidity thermometer.
  12. I am not using live plants, i’m not the best at keeping plants alive and i cant go out any but any right now.
  13. The cage is in my room away from anyone( my room is located in the back corner of my house) i have a fan but i do not put it on, the air vent is on the opposite side of the room, and no one really comes in my room if they do it’s just to check if my cham is okay. i have the cage on a table that is about 2f tall and the top of his cage is a 5’4-5’5.
  14. i live in central florida.
i hope this is enough information, since he was a present i wasn’t prepared but i did a ton of research when i got him. my parents weren’t to happy that i got him so they are helpful but only to a curtain extent. i’m 16 and only want the best for my nygma(that’s his name:)). thank you so much for being helpful it means a lot!!

my responses will be in red 😊
  1. Valid Chameleon, male, 9 months, 4 days
  2. I’ve only handled him once for maybe 5 minutes
  3. I try and give him 8 crickets but so far every day he’s only eaten 2 or 3 a day, i feed him around 9 am, and i’m feeding the crickets lettuce and carrots (that’s all i have at the moment)
  4. Im not able to get any supplements until saturday or sunday.
  5. I have a little dripper for his cage and i mist his cage with warm water for 3-4 minutes every 2 or 3 hours. i occasionally see him drink. you will want to mist for 2-5 minutes in the morning and 2-5 minutes in the evening. Before and after lights go on and off. His humidity should only be between 30-50% during the day, and his enclosure should have a chance to dry out during the day. At night his humidity can spike to 100% and a fogger (or humidifier with tube going into enclosure) is a good tool to help achieve this. Dry, warm days; cool, moist nights.
  6. His droppings were solid with white at the end but a few have had a light orange tint. No
  7. I don’t have any previous information about him because he’s only been in my care for a few days.
  8. I have a mesh cage that is 60x45x90
  9. I have a normal house light 75w for his basking and a compound 5.0 uvb fluorescent lamp (i know that uvb is the wrong light i just can’t currently get the right one... when i do i will update!) i have a 12/12 hour schedule lights off at 8:30pm and lights on at 8:30 am.
  10. His ambient temperature ranges from 72°-80° and his basking temperature is around 88°-92°. lowest overnight temp is around 65-70 (it’s been a bit cold but not to bad, if it ever gets lower then 60 i have a heat emitter). i have a thermometer that i bought on amazon (but i’m playing on getting a temp gun) his temps shouldn't exceed 85. Anything in the 90s is too hot for him. Just make sure you measure your temperature and humidity with a digital thermometer/hydrometer because the analog types are unreliable. also, if I were you I would lift the heat bulb up off the screen so the chameleon cannot get burned. I lift mine about 4-5 inches off, and I use a thermostat to mmaintain the proper temps. That is not required, but it gives a good peace of mind. I use a herpstat(kinda pricey)
  11. The humidity levels rang from 42-48, i most his cage to keep the humidity but if it gets low i put a cut out piece of shower curtain on one side of the cage. The thermometer doubles at a humidity thermometer.good
  12. I am not using live plants, i’m not the best at keeping plants alive and i cant go out any but any right now.again, the internet is a good place to buy plants and lights. Your lights and misting sessions will keep pothos alive. And they are cheap and hardy plants.
  13. The cage is in my room away from anyone( my room is located in the back corner of my house) i have a fan but i do not put it on, the air vent is on the opposite side of the room, and no one really comes in my room if they do it’s just to check if my cham is okay. i have the cage on a table that is about 2f tall and the top of his cage is a 5’4-5’5.
  14. i live in central florida.
i hope this is enough information, since he was a present i wasn’t prepared but i did a ton of research when i got him. my parents weren’t to happy that i got him so they are helpful but only to a curtain extent. i’m 16 and only want the best for my nygma(that’s his name:)). thank you so much for being helpful it means a lot!! cute name!! I have female named Spring and a male named Mushu!
you have done a good job to start! I know it is a lot of info to take in. But your chameleon will benefit in the long run.
The most important things you need are the supplements and the T5 5.0 light bar.
Read through my responses though, I think it will help.

A variety of feeders is the best and a variety of gutload for the feeders will make them healthier, which in turn will be better for your chameleon.
chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food.jpg

Thank you so much!! I’m going to try to go out on saturday to but the supplements and the right uvb light. i just checked and if i were to order them online they wouldn’t get here till next week on thursday. what do u suggest i do for the next few days till i can buy the proper light and supplements?

He will be fine with what you have for the next few days. I dont know that you'll find the proper light at Petco or petsmart, but I do know that they have them at 2 of my closest reptile shops, so good luck! I always just order off amazon. You can either buy a 5.0 or a 6%. Arcadia 6% T5 bulbs are better quality, but he 5.0 T5 is what I use, just needs replacement every 6 months....the 6% will last a year before needing replacement.

Dont be fooled into buying a compact bulb that says 5.0
The one you want is a long linear tube-like bulb.
I recommend buying a 24" light bar (with a 22" bulb) since you're going to have to upgrade your enclosure relatively soon anyway.

what size cage do u suggest i upgrade to?
Minimum cage size for a veiled is 2foot x 2foot x 4foot. That will be the XL reptibreeze.
There are many more styles, but the xl reptibreeze or the DIY cages are the most cost-friendly.

There are also dragonstrand enclosure which are AMAZING but pricey, and zen enclosures, which are also amazing....and pricey.

He looks like he wants out, he probably wants more territory to explore. Do you happen to have a free range? What are your temps like outside right now? If you happen to have a spare small tree (ficus, hibiscus, schefflera, something like that) or place for him to climb he can have some outside time too. Just be sure to watch him the ENTIRE time. I'd personally be comfortable with temps above 70 and below 90.

Yep, you will need at least a large pothos and a larger enclosure relatively soon. He wants out because there isn't enough space for him, or enough coverage (is my guess)

Back
Top Bottom