Higher altitude living chameleons = higher UV output lamps?

Shauno

As the title states, would this be a correct assumption?

I would like to know what lamp combination individuals keeping mountain species are using?

Thanks in advance

It seems it is the opposite they need lower output uv lamps. Inpersonally use 12% Ho lamps on panthers and veileds but would use a maximum of 6% HO lamps on montages unless the enclosure was very large.

I believe montanes are more likely to live in a climate with lots of shade and variable weather, opposed to chams who live at sea level.

Just a hypothesis :)

As the title states, would this be a correct assumption?

I would like to know what lamp combination individuals keeping mountain species are using?

Thanks in advance

No I wouldn't think so. After all, the elevational differences may not be that significant. No cham at any elevation is exposed to full sun for the majority of the day. Montane habitats tend to be more heavily canopied, cloudy and rainy more of the time too.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I would have thought higher altitude would necessitate higher UV even thought the exposure times (for chameleons) would be far less due to canopy coverage, clouds/rainstorms, etc.

The reason I ask is I have recently acquired a cb male Quadricornis and his compact florescent needs to be changed.

He came with a 13w ZooMed 5.0 UV and a 40w incandescent. His cage is a 24"x 24"x 48" screened. I have added a repti fogger and have it running 24-7. Relative humidity is 50-70% and temp ranges from 62F (night)-75F(day)

Thanks for the feedback :)

I would have thought higher altitude would necessitate higher UV even thought the exposure times (for chameleons) would be far less due to canopy coverage, clouds/rainstorms, etc.

The reason I ask is I have recently acquired a cb male Quadricornis and his compact florescent needs to be changed.

He came with a 13w ZooMed 5.0 UV and a 40w incandescent. His cage is a 24"x 24"x 48" screened. I have added a repti fogger and have it running 24-7. Relative humidity is 50-70% and temp ranges from 62F (night)-75F(day)

Many of the more montane species don't bask much (deremensis for example) so the difference in UV may be lost on them. They may not bask as much because they are less tolerant to full sun and overheating (living in cooler habitats) or they don't require as much exposure (their habitats didn't offer as much sun exposure so they are more efficient at using what they get). Another aspect to be aware of is that this does affect their sensitivity to supplements. You want to give herp vitamins less frequently to avoid metabolic overdoses. Its safer to avoid using vitamin dusts and gutloading more carefully anyway.

Back
Top Bottom