High traffic area

Hi everyone.

Is it possible for a chameleon to get use to having it enclosure in a semi high traffic area? Don't have to many places to put my cage. My living room is the only suitable place. If I get him at a young age is it possible for him to get use to this situation?

I have kept chams in my home office, which is pretty high traffic. Especially at parties and such. Mine have always gotten used to it.

i say sure some chams can get used to it.i keep my cham in my living room.for the first 4 days he would slide backwards on the branch everytime we walked in but now hes used to it and isnt bothered.:)

I used to have a living room, like normal ppl, now its a cham room.
With only me and my older brother here, and we walk around pretty slow,
they don't pay any attention, but they do watch us.

I guess as long as you don't have a bunch of kids running and throwing stuff
around, you should be fine.

But if you have a TV in there room, and watch it after bedtime, I would cover
the cages.

My enclosure is also in the main living area of the house. It is right next to a hallway, and I usually walk around the other way so I don't always have to come by the side of the cage. I don't want to appear out of nowhere and startle him. He doesn't seem too bothered by people moving around, we just move around a bit slower when he is awake :D.

Just a couple questions...
How old is your cham? Do you have him yet? Is he/she skiddish or frightened easily?

I kept my veiled in my room, semi-high traffic and he never had any issues. I would advise you keep him in a room without a TV, or if that's not an option, than cover his/her cage with a blanket when you watch TV at night. Just make sure the area he is in does not have people in his face a lot, fast-moving objects, etc.

As for the cage, I think mesh or screen isn't much of a difference (I used fiberglas for my enclosure). Chameleons need LOTS of ventilation, and you're going to need to mist his cage very frequently. Some people will put newborn and 1-3 month olds in small glass enclosures, but that should not be long term, if at all.

Hope it helps :)

mines in a wooden vivarium.i make sure i cover him at night due to having the tv on.my boys really not bothered by much.i do have a 3 year old but he mainly plays in his bedroom.i would say my living room is a mild traffic area zone.

but if your chams is bothered by it i would place him somewhere hes more comfortable.:)

If the cage offers lots of cover so he doesn't feel exposed to view constantly and can hunt, bask, drink out of sight that will help a lot.

No I don't have him yet. I am in the process of building my custom cabinet and screen enclosure. I am planning on makin it 36w x 24d x 48t. I been doing lots of research and planning. I have plenty of reptile experience just wanted something I haven't had. I plan on making lots of hiding spot for him to get away if needed. There's a Reptile expo coming up in April here in MN, I was going to check out and if I can't find anything I like or worth it I plan on buying it from FLCHARMS!!!!! I at least want to give the Expo a chance!!! On the bright side that gives me sometime to get the Enclosure/Cabinet done and everything properly working before I bring my Charm home.. I have another thread for my enclosure just haven't posted any pics yet.

No I don't have him yet. I am in the process of building my custom cabinet and screen enclosure. I am planning on makin it 36w x 24d x 48t. I been doing lots of research and planning. I have plenty of reptile experience just wanted something I haven't had. I plan on making lots of hiding spot for him to get away if needed. There's a Reptile expo coming up in April here in MN, I was going to check out and if I can't find anything I like or worth it I plan on buying it from FLCHARMS!!!!! I at least want to give the Expo a chance!!! On the bright side that gives me sometime to get the Enclosure/Cabinet done and everything properly working before I bring my Charm home.. I have another thread for my enclosure just haven't posted any pics yet.

Expos can be hit or miss from what I hear for chams. You should research some of the site sponsors and other trusted breeders that are members.

You live in the US so you have a lot of great options.

Fair enough that you want to give the expo a chance. I thought that I would throw in my two cents.

I think it depends on the chameleon. Mine doesn't hide very often at all, so I don't think he minds the traffic. He doesn't like the cats too much though - and will keep a pretty close eye on them whenever they are in the room.
Sometimes he'll want out of the cage, so I go to take him out, and he'll stop and turn around if he sees one of the cats. On the other hand I've seen chameleons at pet stores that sometimes hide, sometimes don't.

Back
Top Bottom