High Output Fixtures

UrbanChameleon

Hey guys, I need some recommendations.

I'm searching for a 22" (single bulb) T-5 High Output fixture. It seems most of the fixtures are double bulb or more. If anyone can point me in the direction of a trustworthy site with a quality brand, that would be much appreciated.

*I've checked lightyourreptiles.com, and didn't see a one bulb fixture, unless I overlooked it.

Curious; how come you don't want a dual lamp fixture?

ZooMed makes a single lamp fixture BTW... Link to ZooMed.com

Link to LLL Reptile.com product listing for the ZooMed Fixture

Two lamp fixture will be brighter and better for the chameleon. Single lamps are not very bright, especially if it's a UVB lamp going into the fixture.

Thank you for the help. :)

I just figured it was unnecessary. I currently have a heat lamp, and a separate 5.0 UVB light setup for both of my boys. I've been planning to upgrade to HO, and thought two 6% Arcadia's would be overkill. Also, I have no use for a plant light. I leave the room light on all day, so they have that, plus their individual lights. This will be my first time dealing with HO, so I am completely open to experienced opinions and suggestions. I would rather buy the correct lighting now, than find out I should have gone a different route later.

zoomed aquasun fixture

I have five of these t5 ho 34" 39w dual fixtures. Have individual on/off switch for each bulb. Fit exact over two 18x18x36" reptibreezes side by side. If they were a woman, i might marry again.

If you use any live plants having a 6500k bulb will help a lot, unless the cage is in a room that gets a ton of natural sunlight. Overhead lighting will not help much since it is too far away and usually does not have the proper color spectrum.

Most modern digital ballasts work fine without all the bulbs installed, but you should be able to verify this with the seller/manufacturer.

I agree with most here- get the double bulb, and add a spectrum oriented bulb, for viewing. You dont *HAVE* to put two UVB bulbs in (in fact, I'd suggest against it). But you'll enjoy it more, and your chameleons will appreciate a nice bright full spectrum.

I agree with most here- get the double bulb, and add a spectrum oriented bulb, for viewing. You dont *HAVE* to put two UVB bulbs in (in fact, I'd suggest against it). But you'll enjoy it more, and your chameleons will appreciate a nice bright full spectrum.

Sometimes I think people forget that our animals live outside :eek:.

Bright is a good thing, and with T5HO you are spending less money on energy to make it bright than you would if you tried to get as much light with a T12 fixture of olden days.

As our hobby evolves things become cheaper to operate and better for the animal. A single UVB lamp and a heat lamp are all that a chameleon NEEDS, but is not representative of the habitat from which they come from. This is why more light is better, and RainDomes are better than misting.... :D

I agree, I would recommend getting a double fixture over a single. The full spectrum lighting is great for plants but it also has benefits for your chameleons as well. I would suggest one 6% Arcadia bulb and one 6.5k daylight bulb. With that combination it will provided your chameleon with what is needed as well as create an excellent lighting environment.

Okay, thanks guys. The only reason I wasn't planning on going with the dual fixture was because I use all fake plants. Most on the forums use the full spectrum bulbs for their plants. I wasn't trying to be cheap or not give them what they need. The Chameleon room has a ton of natural lighting coming from the windows, a five bulb chandelier, and their separate cage lights. I was afraid adding more on top of that would be overkill. Plus, I figured it would be unnecessary considering their cage doesn't require it. However, everyone made some very valid points. I will be buying the dual bulb fixture.

Okay, thanks guys. The only reason I wasn't planning on going with the dual fixture was because I use all fake plants. Most on the forums use the full spectrum bulbs for their plants. I wasn't trying to be cheap or not give them what they need. The Chameleon room has a ton of natural lighting coming from the windows, a five bulb chandelier, and their separate cage lights. I was afraid adding more on top of that would be overkill. Plus, I figured it would be unnecessary considering their cage doesn't require it. However, everyone made some very valid points. I will be buying the dual bulb fixture.

You will be glad you did. I actually use a 4 bulb T5HO fixture, with 1 x Reptisun 10.0 and 3 x 6500K bulbs, above all of my cages. I do not use real plants either, but I and my chameleons enjoy the extra light (though it makes it difficult to get good pictures while in their cages, using an iphone).

I have used these lights for years on my planted FW angelfish tanks. They're really cost effective and reliable. The fixture has a clear plastic cover over the bulbs...just remove it. You can also swap a bulb out for your UVB. Make sure you get the one with the 6500k bulbs. There are several different options and some come with built in timers.

http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-2x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52121p.htm

I actually use the Aquatraders 4 bulb fixture with built in timer for my chams. I have used them for years on aquariums also. I LOVE these lights, and I know there are a few others on the forums that have purchased them recently for their chams as well. I will probably be getting the 48" dual fixtures for my baby rearing room.

I have used these lights for years on my planted FW angelfish tanks. They're really cost effective and reliable. The fixture has a clear plastic cover over the bulbs...just remove it. You can also swap a bulb out for your UVB. Make sure you get the one with the 6500k bulbs. There are several different options and some come with built in timers.

http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-2x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52121p.htm

These light fixtures are nice and cheap but be aware, you get what you pay for. These lights have been known in the past to overheat and cause fires. I have a 48" quad fixture from Odyssea and I can attest to the amount of heat they put off. Not to mention the life time on the moonlight LEDs are maybe 2 months. I personally wouldn't recommend these fixtures.

These light fixtures are nice and cheap but be aware, you get what you pay for. These lights have been known in the past to overheat and cause fires. I have a 48" quad fixture from Odyssea and I can attest to the amount of heat they put off. Not to mention the life time on the moonlight LEDs are maybe 2 months. I personally wouldn't recommend these fixtures.

I have several of these units and have had no issues with the amount of heat they put out. It is FAR from enough to cause any fires or problems. Not to say the quality of every fixture is as good, but of the couple dozen I have owned, only my metal halide systems for my reef tanks ever caused me any concern.

As for the moonlight LED's, I do not use them anyway, so it doesn't matter whether they last or not.

Quote:
"These light fixtures are nice and cheap but be aware, you get what you pay for. These lights have been known in the past to overheat and cause fires. I have a 48" quad fixture from Odyssea and I can attest to the amount of heat they put off. Not to mention the life time on the moonlight LEDs are maybe 2 months. I personally wouldn't recommend these fixtures."

I agree with Nick here.
Some may hold up longer than others, but in general you do get what you pay for, so do your research.
If you want to be "one and done" I would consider a unit from L.Y.R. ("Light Your Reptiles").

Good luck:)

Back
Top Bottom