Hibiscus pests

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I think my hibiscus is under assault by a bunch of pests. Can someone help me identify these things and offer some advice on what to Do? I'll post some pictures. One of the flower buds is covered in something or some kind of bugs and a lot of leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I'm worried this will spread to my other plants.

Attachments

• 20170621_152804.jpg
    20170621_152804.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 833
  • 20170621_152835.jpg
    20170621_152835.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 1,212
  • 20170621_152804.jpg
    20170621_152804.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 1,100
Ahhh damn... I've heard lady bugs are great, but wouldn't my cham eat them? So without pesticides I'm pretty much screwed? I won't have time tonight to get rid of these. I hope it's not too late for my other plants. :( any precautions i should take with the surrounding plants? They seem fine, but what is the chance they've spread?

Idk they look like a mix to me but it's hard to tell. Either way usually citrus based (organic) pesticides or mint based can help and it won't be harmful as long as you dilute the essential oils well ^^

Idk they look like a mix to me but it's hard to tell. Either way usually citrus based (organic) pesticides or mint based can help and it won't be harmful as long as you dilute the essential oils well ^^
I'm gonna have to remember this if they ever come back.

What do you mean by a mix?

A mix of pest insects. Though I can't tell for sure it looks there are aphids and maybe mealy bugs in there... maybe another type not sure though. The thing is, ladybugs are an amazing all natural predator of all these species of pests but don't you have fully planted enclosures? @jamest0o0 so I am guessing the organic homemade pesticide may be best. You can kind of make you own citrus essential oil too. Just don't use the basking lights until the pesticide directly pooling on the leaves and exposed areas of the hibiscus is dried. Because citrus essenstial oils are highly flammable.

Oh god mealybugs?! Aren't those things basically a plant death sentence? Luckily this is my one plant that isn't planted in. It's my baby cham's free range. I'm going to have to put him somewhere while I tear his cage apart and get him new plants. Appreciate the help everyone!

If I got lady bugs and set it outside, would they stay there and eat them? Should I worry about my croton planted at the base of this hibiscus even though it *looks* fine.

There are some specific plants that interest sap eaters like aphids and mealbugs, it's usually flowering plants or fruiting plants. The croton isn't one they usually get interested in but just keep an eye on it. As far as keeping the lady bugs in, just let them loose and maybe keep some bug netting over it for a day or two to encourage them to stay. Once they notice the huge amount of food you can remove it.

So i might grab lady bugs from the nursery today, I heard they could be kept in the fridge. I was going to put my hibiscus outside with something over it and then drop the lady bugs all over. Think it'll work?

put yur cham somewhere else in the mean time. order some lady bugs and put them in the terrarium with the plant. give it some time. spray with water and see. you can also put coffe grounds helps. if you are gonna use pesticides that will kill the feeders you put in the Cage.

Back
Top Bottom