Hibernation/Burmation

Merlin77

Hello,

I have a Chameleon who I believe (HOPE) is in Hibernation/Burmation state. his lighting temperatures are normal, he is getting misted with water every 3 hours for 30 seconds. His tank is mesh to provide the necessary air flow. He has stoped eating, however his weight seems to remain the same. He doesn't move around much, but when he does, his eyes are closed. He is about 80% shed and I am finding him at the bottom of his cage often. Are these normal symptoms of a chameleon in hibernation/burmation state?

Only some species go thru brumation and it is brought on by a drop in cage temperatures.
You should look for other causes of his lethargy.
The how to ask for help form might shed some light on the problem. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/ copy and paste to fill in the answers.
Thank-you for the reply!

He is a translucent veiled. We have recently went into our winter season, so his temperatures have changed a bit. We try to keep the house one temperature, but in the summer we do not have air conditioning, so it would have been a bit warmer compared to now, and his cage between 72 - 80. I tried your link and it is closed, not open for future replies. I will take a read through it though.

Thank-you for the reply!

He is a translucent veiled. We have recently went into our winter season, so his temperatures have changed a bit. We try to keep the house one temperature, but in the summer we do not have air conditioning, so it would have been a bit warmer compared to now, and his cage between 72 - 80. I tried your link and it is closed, not open for future replies. I will take a read through it though.

Copy and past the link into here and fill in your answers please.

They do have a dry season, and it does get cold enough that there are frost warnings and the little guys need to get low. So that could be considered brumation. I know i have had some Madagascar chams that would stay in a 2ft area for a few months in the winter, and then once spring came they would start free ranging around the room and start looking out the window again.

I apologize, I misread.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Translucent Veiled Chameleon, estimating 2.5 years old. We were told he was 1 year when we got him and we have had him for 1.5 years
  • Handling - Not often at all. But since I have seen him at the bottom of his cage, I have started taking him out and soaking him in warm water for roughly 10 mins every other day to try to help with the shedding and when I see him at the bottom of his cage, I pick him up and place him on a vine near the top of his cage.
  • Feeding - I try to keep crickets in his cage often, and I have provide different worms every two -three days.
  • Supplements - Flukers Repta Calcium & Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamins
  • Watering - Misting system that mists every three hours for 30 seconds
  • Fecal Description - brown.. hasn't changed since we have owned him.
  • History - when we first got him, he has had a scar/lump on his nose but it has not grown or shrunk since we have owned him, and the breeders said nothing of it.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen, very large. roughly 4 feet tall and 2.5 wide
  • Lighting - have a heat bulb and a UVB build that run 12 Horus a day. We were running the heat lamp 24/7 and the UVB 12 hrs per day but since we have noticed his symptoms, we have reduced both bulbs to 12hrs per day as per the research we did.
  • Temperature - from very bottom (which he never used to go to) is about 67 and the top point is about 82.
  • Humidity - I have an additional misting "Puck" that we have hooked up to a humidity control system, when the humidity drops below 60%, the misting system starts. In addition to this, we have a Large Dripper to provide a constant water source on the leaves in his cage.
  • Plants - yes - I will have to look up the kinds as I do not recall at this moment. I researched for a while before purchasing them.
  • Placement - located in living room. one side is beside the back of a couch and one side by a wall. There is an air vent behind it. Top of cage is roughly 1 foot below roof of house.
  • Location - Alberta

Current Problem - He has stopped eating. Walking around with his eyes closed. Weight has remained the same. Seem around bottom of cage which is unusual.

Do you provide any type of supplement with d-3?

You should be using a phosphorus free calcium powder without d3 most feedings. A phosphorus free calcium with d-3 every 2 weeks and a multi vitamin every 2 weeks on alternating weeks.

Also what type of uvb bulb are you using and when was the last time you replaced it?

Based off the symptoms I would say he needs a vet visit ASAP.

how often do you supplement calcium with d3 should only be given twice a month, same for the multivitamin, calcium without d3 should be given every feeding.

misting needs to be 2 mins each i suggest a drainage system in the cage.

what types of bulbs are you using and you should be changing the uvb every 6 months or so, are you using a compact coil bulb?

the temperature is way too low, it should be 90 degrees basking with an ambient of 70 degrees

air vent is no good, is there a possibility to move him into a less busy area of the house? maybe a bedroom?

I apologize, I misread.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Translucent Veiled Chameleon, estimating 2.5 years old. We were told he was 1 year when we got him and we have had him for 1.5 years
  • Handling - Not often at all. But since I have seen him at the bottom of his cage, I have started taking him out and soaking him in warm water for roughly 10 mins every other day to try to help with the shedding and when I see him at the bottom of his cage, I pick him up and place him on a vine near the top of his cage.
  • Feeding - I try to keep crickets in his cage often, and I have provide different worms every two -three days.
  • Supplements - Flukers Repta Calcium & Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamins
  • Watering - Misting system that mists every three hours for 30 seconds
  • Fecal Description - brown.. hasn't changed since we have owned him.
  • History - when we first got him, he has had a scar/lump on his nose but it has not grown or shrunk since we have owned him, and the breeders said nothing of it.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen, very large. roughly 4 feet tall and 2.5 wide
  • Lighting - have a heat bulb and a UVB build that run 12 Horus a day. We were running the heat lamp 24/7 and the UVB 12 hrs per day but since we have noticed his symptoms, we have reduced both bulbs to 12hrs per day as per the research we did.
  • Temperature - from very bottom (which he never used to go to) is about 67 and the top point is about 82.
  • Humidity - I have an additional misting "Puck" that we have hooked up to a humidity control system, when the humidity drops below 60%, the misting system starts. In addition to this, we have a Large Dripper to provide a constant water source on the leaves in his cage.
  • Plants - yes - I will have to look up the kinds as I do not recall at this moment. I researched for a while before purchasing them.
  • Placement - located in living room. one side is beside the back of a couch and one side by a wall. There is an air vent behind it. Top of cage is roughly 1 foot below roof of house.
  • Location - Alberta

Current Problem - He has stopped eating. Walking around with his eyes closed. Weight has remained the same. Seem around bottom of cage which is unusual.
Sorry to bust in late! I agree on vet ASAP! For husbandry changes, there’s quite a few, so please bear with me. Chameleons are dry shedders and shouldn’t have baths; when shedding, don’t mist him extra or anything, it’ll make him retain his shed longer. What are the exact types of feeders and how many do you put in his cage at once? What time of day and how often do you feed? What do you gutload and water your feeders with? Fluker’s and RepCal aren’t the best supplement brands. I’d get Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3 (use every feeding) and Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 (use every two weeks). There are also other ways to supplement, if you want to know. How do you dust your feeders? Make each misting 2 minutes long and space it out so the humidity stays in the proper parameters (40-70%). Make sure to mist at least 3 times a day, though. What type (compact coil or linear) and strength of uvb does he have? Is his basking bulb a white light or different color? For lighting times, it should be 12 hours of uvb and basking and 12 hours of complete darkness. His basking should be 90-92/93*F. Please list the live plants, as well. Could you close off the air vent? Sorry if this is a lot, I just want to help! I’d also recommend reading the veiled care sheet here, as well.

Back
Top Bottom