Hi

JohnMcD

Hi guys, My name is John, I'm a 14 year old from IL, and I'm looking to get a new reptile at Tinley Park's NARBC. So far on my list is a Kenyan sand boa, or a Chameleon, most likely veiled or panther. I'm just here to learn about the species and find out how great they are. I do have a few questions though, as I just joined a few minutes ago.

- Is there a chat on this forum?

- Are there caresheets on the site?

Thanks,
John

Hi guys, My name is John, I'm a 14 year old from IL, and I'm looking to get a new reptile at Tinley Park's NARBC. So far on my list is a Kenyan sand boa, or a Chameleon, most likely veiled or panther. I'm just here to learn about the species and find out how great they are. I do have a few questions though, as I just joined a few minutes ago.

- Is there a chat on this forum?

- Are there caresheets on the site?

Thanks,
John

I have to say it. Sand boas don't really make great pets. I bought a snow kenyan sand boa (named Gaara - naruto reference) and 2 normal ones because I thought they looked cool and heard they are easy to take care of. They aren't. They're problem feeders and two of them died within a week because they wouldn't eat. The lone survivor barely eats and it's frustrating when you offer them food and they don't eat it. Even though I love Gaara he isn't exactly my type of pet. He's always burried in his sand or aspen shavings. KSBs aren't exactly the type of pet you can handle often and don't make great display pets because they're always hidden. My melleri (Sahara sand boa) is more of a display pet, but he too is also finicky about being handled. If you're going to get a reptile either get a chameleon or a ball python. Trust me they are better as display or handling pets.

Last edited:
Spork are you using basic white feeders? frozen?

try a multi colored mouse/rat. ive noticed some snakes don't like to eat white mice only oddly enough.

also it could be related to the enclosure that you are keeping them. he won't eat if the enclosures arn't at the proper settings.

Spork are you using basic white feeders? frozen?

try a multi colored mouse/rat. ive noticed some snakes don't like to eat white mice only oddly enough.

also it could be related to the enclosure that you are keeping them. he won't eat if the enclosures arn't at the proper settings.

Even though he's almost 2 years old, he's still really small. He can only eat fuzzies (or pinkies) right now. He's over one feet long but as thin as a normal wooden pencil. He's suppose to get bigger after 2 years old, occording to my books and the forum members at kingsnake.com. So until then, it's only fuzzies which mostly come in the albino varitey so far (probably due to the fact they're not fully developed yet to show their colors).

Thanks for all your replies, but i need to fill a 20gallon Long tank. Im just considering a cham because theres a small chance i could convince my parents to let me get one

Thanks for all your replies, but i need to fill a 20gallon Long tank. Im just considering a cham because theres a small chance i could convince my parents to let me get one

If it's a glass tank, you can have a colony of 3 pygmy chameleons. I'm sure the rents wouldn't mind that.

It is my understanding that pygmy chams take special care. Please do research on these animals before you purchase any. I think there are better pets to get then chams to go into a glass tank. Most chameleons need screened habitats to let lots of air run through. They are mostly tree dwellers. Pygmys are very small and live on the forest floor so they could live in a glass aquarium, but like I said the husbandry is more exacting then sticking a few sticks and a plant in the aquarium.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am mainly looking to fill my 20L glass tank but i want a vieled or panther cham, and i would not house them in the 20L, i would buy a screen enclosure

Back
Top Bottom