Hi my first and very sad post.

cyclone

I am totally gutted, and cant see any option but to take my Chameleon Doug to the Vets tomorrow for euthanizing. I got doug as a baby Vailed Chameleon and we have had him 10 years 3 months, and the owner of the pet store Capricorn Conection says he is the oldest Vailed he has seen in 35 plus years in the business. I am really worried about the procedure the vets use to send him off. I wont under any circumstances do it myself, or freeze him either, not a chance. I dont care what it costs, just as long as he does not suffer at all. I wanted to know if anyone knew what method the Vets use, and is it humane ???

I dont know what the vets will do to your loving and im sure, caring chameleon. But, i hope the best for you and your chameleon, i am very sorry. Just something to cheer you up, I think you may have one of the oldest veiled chameleon pets in a very wide range i am sure. I hope for the best for you guys! Wish you luck(y).

Thank you for the support. I was told by several reptile guys near here, that Doug is the oldest anyone has ever heard of, we are very sad, but also pleased he has had a very very long life

I am sorry to hear this. He sounds like he lived a good life.

I can tell you about my experience with euthanizing my boy. I admit he was young and it was very sudden to have to do it but the vets did a wonderful job, even if they were urgent care vets and not the actual exotics vets.

They did an IC injection, which just means they drew up his solution (it was a full syringe so it scared me on that aspect) and they injected him in his heart. It was hard to see them use such a big needle but he went quickly and peacefully. They then used a Doppler to check for his heart beat and confirm passing.

All in all it was a bit traumatic at first but I know it was best for him and the vets really did take good care of him and I.

Again, I am sorry you have to go through this but hopefully his passing will be smooth.

So sorry that your chameleon has to be euthanized. It's lived a very long life though....and that means you took good care of it. Can you post some photos of it over the years for us to see please.
Yes I will get them off my phone and posted tomorrow

Thanks guys, I am dreading tomorrow I have to be honest, I really am. I am very greatful of your kind words, and happy in the thoughts he has had a great life with our family. I will get some images going back all the years in the next few days, once I am or have come to terms with his passing.

Our thoughts are all with you. Ten years is AMAZING and you should be proud of the wonderful life you have given to Doug. Unfortunately the crossing of the rainbow bridge is something that we all must face when we take creatures into our hearts and our homes. Remember all the wonderful times with Doug, and post photos when you are ready. Perhaps by posting them you will find peace and comfort.

Sorry that you have to go through this. Be proud that Doug lived 10 plus years with you! It says so much that even now your main thoughts are about him :). I would also love to see some pics of your boy if it isn't too much to ask (if and when you can) because a 10 year old veiled is basically unheard of. Rest in paradise little one.

Don't be down about it, dude. You must be an amazing owner if your chameleon has lived 10 years. Kudos to you for being that good of a caretaker. If I'm correct, Veiled Chameleons are only supposed to live 5 or 6 years. I bet Doug has lived really happily because of you.

I have just got home from the specalist Vets in Leeds Yorkshire, they were so very kind and nice, and even through my tears at having him put to sleep, they let me know that I was being as much as friend to him, as he was to me by letting him go. I am so very sad, we have just burried him in our Garden, and will miss him every day from now on. The Vet told me that at just under 11 years he was the oldest Vailed they had ever dealt with in the history of the practice, so I am privalaged to have had so many happy days with him. I will post some pictures tomorrow, I am just too upset to do anything just now. Thank you everyone for your very knid words, and if anyone needs a speciality Vet and you reside in the North of England try Holly House Leeds, an amazing caring service.

23405698_367593927001235_7263230450388089005_o.jpg

Attachments

• 23231318_1309877895785147_8825403632654563690_n.jpg
    23231318_1309877895785147_8825403632654563690_n.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 113
That is an extremely long life, but I know that does not make things any easier for you. As you probably know now euthanizing is quick and painless. I have had a couple put down myself. There was someone on here many years ago that said they had a Veild live to 14 yrs old. I don't know if they were telling the truth or not. I know for fact from being on here for almost 8 yrs now, that 10 yrs old is basically unheard of. So sorry for your loss. I hope you will open up your home and heart to another when you are ready.

That is an extremely long life, but I know that does not make things any easier for you. As you probably know now euthanizing is quick and painless. I have had a couple put down myself. There was someone on here many years ago that said they had a Veild live to 14 yrs old. I don't know if they were telling the truth or not. I know for fact from being on here for almost 8 yrs now, that 10 yrs old is basically unheard of. So sorry for your loss. I hope you will open up your home and heart to another when you are ready.
I will have another for sure, just need a few weeks to breath a bit, and start looking. Thank you so much for your very kind words
Martin

Back
Top Bottom