Hi, I'm new and have a question!!!

cmrush88

Hi there everyone. I was wondering you all could help me. Currently, I am getting the necessary supplies for a future cham, but I had a question about species. Which do you think would be the best species to start with? Panther? veiled? Does it matter?

I would start out with a Veiled Chameleon. They are a bit easier than a Panther but I haven't owned a Panther. I have read and been told that a Veiled is the best to start off with.

Veileds are far more forgiving, but Panthers are not terribly difficult. Getting either one set up correctly and then purchasing from a reputable breeder will help ensure your ultimate sucess. It is great that you are here doing research prior to buying-I cannot tell you how much it will help you!

Thats more of a personal question, it seems like most people start out with those(i did) they seem to be a hardy species. Panthers seem to be more mellow while from what I have read the veileds tend to be more agressive but then again that tends to depend on the animal. Once you do your research on how to care for them go for what you like

Veileds are far more forgiving, but Panthers are not terribly difficult. Getting either one set up correctly and then purchasing from a reputable breeder will help ensure your ultimate sucess. It is great that you are here doing research prior to buying-I cannot tell you how much it will help you!

Isn't that the truth! I wish I got here before I bought from Petco! But heck now I have my amazing Darwin :)

I concur with the previous comment about using a reputable breeder, check out the site sponsors. Not only are they trustworthy but they are a great resource to not only help you select a good specimen to start with but also, they will continue to coach you usually as you and your chameleon continue the journey. Welcome.

I agree. I think if you go with either one you should be fine as long as you keep up with the research. :) Good luck and let us know what you choose!:D

yes listen to all these guys on here.. i have done hours of research on every site known to chameleons lol. and i have still done about 15 more hours or reading on this forum over the net. these people are the greatest!!!!!

They are sooooo darn interesting!!!! I can't get enough!!! This has become my new facebook! I may or may not be obsessed! haha. I'm leaning toward a panther, but I will definitely keep everyone posted. I won't be getting the little guy until summer when it is a safer temp for him to be transported or I will wait for the reptile show in Kansas City, MO. I am getting so excited tho!~:D

At first I thought Veiled would be the easier species. But, after owning veileds and panthers for a few months they seem the same to me. I agree with as long as you do your research you will be fine.

As stated do plenty of research and get your setup perfect, buy from a reputable breeder. If you get all the pre-steps right i honestly dont believe one is easier them the other. Good luck. and keep us posted

When I get my enclosure set up, I will post a pic, so you guys can let me know what you think! Thanks for all of your support! :)

Good luck with whatever you choose! I wish you the best in your future keeping in chams! They really are amazing creatures. This forum is a great source of information and support, so definitely utilize it! There are plenty of people on here that will help you as much as they can, so when you get your setup ready we would love to see!

I started off with both and care for them exactly the same. They're almost equally hardy, though some say the veil is hardier. Perhaps because veils are from a desert area and you have more room for error when providing them the right husbandry. Veils are more "common" and cheaper to start off with but panthers have a great range of colors (not that veils aren't stunners in their own right). At this point, its really just a person preference for you.

do panthers need more humidity than veileds?

There are differing opinions for humidity for these two species, ranging from 50-80%. My mistings keep it at around 80. I figure that the high end shouldn't be harmful. If you hit the 60s, I would say you're on the right track for either.

Welcome to the forums Colbey! I keep veileds and have three Luie, Camille and their daughter Elly. They are all friendly and sweet and gorgeous too I might add, but I'm bias. :) At the moment I also have my daughter's 6 panthers for an extended stay and they too are gorgeouse and sweet all but one and he gets moody. :D I have allot of respect for you for doing your homework before you get your first chameleon. I'm attaching my blog for new keepers below incase you haven't found it yet. Jann
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

We did the same. We started researching last year, got everything set up and then something came up. However everything is great now and we have been working hard to setting up everything again. I can't wait!!! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom