Hi everyone!

Leon100

Hi there,

Leon the new guy here, just thought I'd say hello before I start annoying people with begginer questions!

So basically, I've been looking at getting a chameleon for a while now, I have a few shops near me that sell them but so far I've been good and avoided the urge to just buy a viv, plus lizard without doing some homework first (not matter how easy im told they are to keep by the shop owners!)

So basicaly I was wondering If there is a begginers guide for picking which Chameleon? Now im no stranger when it comes to putting in a bit of hard work, time and money when keeping tropical pets, I have a 5ft Discus fish tank and if anyone knows about these they will know they requier a lot of work.

If there is no "which chameleon guide" then you anyone be able to recomend me a good hardy Chameleon which doesn't get to large, I have been recomened high casqued chameleon from the shop but from what I have read online there probably not best as a starter Chameleon (but this is around the ideal size)

Any opinions / points in the right direction would be great.

Thanks a bunch,

Leon

well the only other option i can think of is a male jacksons that gets like 1o inches, but needs exesive humidity and low basking temps.....they need a 18 by 18 by 36 as an adult so it like a small down grade

If I'm right, then a "high casqued chameleon" (which I'd never heard of, but just looked up) is a hoehnelii. If so, I doubt that they would make a great starter cham. They need dramatic night time temp. drops and they also need high humidity (80-100%). From what I've read, there isn't a ton of info on them and I would not suggest them as a starter cham.

If a small pet is that important, chams might not be right for you. Veileds are widely considered the best starter cham (veiled chameleons are the same as yemen chameleons) and yes they get big, especially the males

What is the biggest space you can afford?
I personally would reconsider getting a chameleon at all if you cannot afford a space that can fit at least a 2'X2'X4' cage.

A Panther chameleon is also hardy and just a tad bit smaller than veiled.
most importantly they are far more expensive.

Due to the price, most people will double check to do research and get all the supplies right before they invest on a 350 dollars worth of chameleon.
Sometimes i think the cheap price of veiled chameleon prompt people to but impulsively.

(please don't think that I am insinuating you are that kind of people.. this is me rambling :eek:)..

What about a Rudis Chameleon, Some say they are good beginner chams and are small in size. I think they are kind of cool looking.

What about a Rudis Chameleon, Some say they are good beginner chams and are small in size. I think they are kind of cool looking.

rudis? in my humble opinion, montane species is not a good starter chameleon.

Especially, if you are not familiar at all with chameleon care.

they need cooler temp and more humidity...
http://www.rockymountainrudis.com/rudis/care/care_index.htm
If you really want to have it, make sure you do whatever you can to provide the optimal environment for him.

Dodolah money Isn't the problem, its more to do with space. Altho I have seen some vivs that come with stands at one of my local shops, Just never really liked the idea as the stands dont look amazingly steady and I have a fat cat who likes to jump on things like this (altho since he fell through the lid on my old fish tank he has stopped!)

I'll check the size of these and let everyone know what sort of space I have to work with.

Just to clear things up, im not asking which one so I can go right out and buy it, im trying to find a suitable one for what area I can spare and then find all the best info and items required to keep it / them in tip top shape, I am in no way in a rush to buy. (I like to think I am fairly responsible at keeping animals)

It may be easier If you recomend me some good begginer chameleons and I can then find out what size viv's they need and see if I can find a space for them.

Leon

Last edited:
Yeah, cat can be a problem, CAN, Cham like to be above eye level, and this can be important in them feeling secure, along with alot of live plants. To keep the humidity up and to hydrate them u must mist them at least twice a day (now an auto mister can be purchased if u are not home enough to stay on top of this)which then brings u to the drainage needs-depending on how u choose to hydrate them- if u hand mist, u can just use paper towels but auto misters I believe put out enough H2o u want a way for them to drain. Chams will not drink from a H20 bowl or waterfall. Cats can REALLY stress them out and its best if they aren't in a high traffic area of the house. I personally have alot of cats and I just keep the door shut to the cham rooms and do not allow them in there. I have a flap-necked chamelon, and when bought healthy, they can be pretty hardy and don't get very big at all. Mike at FLCHAMS said he has some incubating so he will have some babies ready in a few months. u can check out his website and look under "other species" and then look for flap necked chameleon. Hope this helps!!

its more to do with space. Altho I have seen some vivs that come with stands at one of my local shops, Just never really liked the idea as the stands dont look amazingly steady and I have a fat cat who likes to jump on things like this (altho since he fell through the lid on my old fish tank he has stopped!)

I'll check the size of these and let everyone know what sort of space I have to work with.

Leon

I believe male veiled and male panther are perfect species for beginner.
They are hardy and more commercially available than other species.
But, they do need a big space (2' 2' 4').

I don't honestly think rudis and pygmy are great beginner species.
They are smaller in size. But, they are more prone to temp shift and so on.

and just to be clear also, as i said in the last thread, I do not in any way think you are one of those impulsive buyer.
I was just rambling of why sometimes panther is a better choice due to the high price :).

economically speaking, people take more precaution and do more thorough research when they are about to invest big money in anything.

Cheers for the advice, is 2,2,4 the optimum size or minimum? Im not trying to get a smaller one, just seeing if bigger would be better. If possible.

I think I would prefer a panther as from what I've seen they look stunning, not to say the veiled's dont look great aswell!

I'm still moving a few bits around in my room and waiting to get a new desk in, so hopefully I'll be able to sort a space then. There's plenty of room in my hallway but I get the impression If I keep one out there it could get spooked by everyone randomly walking past.

Cheers for the advice, is 2,2,4 the optimum size or minimum? Im not trying to get a smaller one, just seeing if bigger would be better. If possible.

I think I would prefer a panther as from what I've seen they look stunning, not to say the veiled's dont look great aswell!

I'm still moving a few bits around in my room and waiting to get a new desk in, so hopefully I'll be able to sort a space then. There's plenty of room in my hallway but I get the impression If I keep one out there it could get spooked by everyone randomly walking past.

That is the preferable size is for male adult veiled or panther.
Or course, if you can afford it (space and money wise), bigger is generally better.

Are the Exo Terra Flexarium's any good? I could get a descent size one of these, plus they seem ideal for ventilation, plus due to the light weight it would be easy to move it outside in the summer for some natural UV.

Also how about the jacksons chameleon they seem to be a begginer / intermediate choice from what I have read, plus I would be much more likely to give them a bigger home then they need rather then one thats just about right for a bigger species?

I have purchased the 260, should be here anyday... i think it may be good, for transporting in and out, that would be nice, :) If that helps any, your welcome haha :p:D

Honestly the Pigmy Chams, are somewhat good beginer Chams (depending on species) and do fit in rather small locations and glass enclosures. I'm going to post my Pigmy Paradice in a couple days with Pic's! so check it out, when I get time to do it. May be somthing you can work off of. And we are allways all here for your advice and help, Cool!:)

I have to admit I'm scared of the cat allover the setup, as Chams stress to those things easily. But you never know, it may work. Just pay attention to the signs the Cham gives under those conditions and do not be afraid to recalculate or reconsider your setup! Enjoy the future of Chameleons and these forums!

Any other opinions as a Jacksons for a first chameleon?

They are a good chameleon, they require a lot of water/humidity. I found it almost impossible to own one without a misting system and proper drainage. Cant let water build up....
Anyway, a jacksons is my first chameleon i would recommend one if you had the proper space/time but do lots of reading. I have found jacksons to be real temperamental, i only take mine out when the cage gets deep cleaning. Not sure how a cat would work with a chameleon, i think that would be stressful.

The cat really wont be a probelm, he's very fat and very lazy and can always be shut out of the room, cheers for the info.

Back
Top Bottom