Hi Everyone! I'm new.

Yak

Hi, everyone, I have three chameleons, two of them have identical settings. The third has a slightly different setting. So I decided to provide one sheet for each even if it sounds repetitive.

YAK’s Info:
• Your Chameleon – Jackson, male, 14 months (?), 7 months under my loving care.
• Handling – He loves being handle, the moment he sees me he runs to me.
• Feeding – Mainly a cricket diet, I feed him adult crickets, an occasional superworm, and an occasional dubia roach. (they are readily available to him but he doesn’t seem to care much for them) I gut load with “Repahy” Superload.
• Supplements – I use calcium every other day and multivitamins once a week.
• Watering - slow drip (home made) and mist twice a day, also a slow cool mist.
• Fecal Description – brownish matter covered with slime and a whitish lead. Not yet tested.
• History – I got this at a pet store that specializes in reptiles, he was a bit shy at first and on the skinny side. His middle horn has a blemish, it is not straight and is short. I am assuming the was either dropped when he was a baby or never developed. Other than that he appears to be healthy.

YAK’S Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Zoo Med Reptibreeze Screen Cage 18x18x36 (large)
• Lighting – Reptisun 5.0 uvb 13watt, for basking a regular 75 bulb
• Temperature – I have a thermometer that indicates 75-80º during the day, basking spot around 85º - at night all off between 65-75º
• Humidity – The have a cool mist system that runs 15 every 2 hours during the day.
• Plants – foliage type Pothos
• Placement – The cage is located near the dinning room, cages are 45” off the ground on a dedicated table.
• Location – East Bay Area, California
Camilo’s Info:
• Your Chameleon – Panther – ambilobe, male, I was told he was 2 months when I got him from a reputable breeder, (Bruce at Chameleon Paradise), two months ago, so he is around 4 months.
• Handling – once a day.
• Feeding – He eats mainly small crickets ¼ - 3/8” once in a while silk worms, super worms and subia roaches if I find them small enough.
• Supplements – I use calcium every other day and multivitamins once a week.
• Watering - slow drip (home made) and mist twice a day, also a slow cool mist.
• Fecal Description – brownish matter covered with slime and a whitish lead. Not yet tested.
• Watering – he has a drip (home made) system that falls directly on his plant, he seems to drink fine, in addition I mist him at least 3x day.
• Fecal Description – he does darkish brown with a cottage-cheese-like stream.
• History – As mentioned he came from who I consider one of the best in the West. Happy little fellow sired by “Jake”.

Camilo’s Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Zoo Med Reptibreeze Screen Cage 18x18x36 (large) note: he has a safety net.
• Lighting – Reptisun 5.0 uvb 13watt, for basking a regular 75 bulb
• Temperature – I have a thermometer that indicates 75-80º during the day, basking spot around 85º - at night all off between 65-75º
• Humidity – The have a cool mist system that runs 15 every 2 hours during the day.
• Plants – foliage type Pothos
• Placement – The cage is located near the dinning room, cages are 45” off the ground on a dedicated table.
• Location – East Bay Area, California
Betty’s Info:
• Your Chameleon – Panther (ambilobe) female, she is two months, in my care for only a week.
• Handling – Only for cleaning her cage.
• Feeding – pinheads, about 5-10, silk worms. Repashy Gutload.
• Supplements – Expo tierra Calcium and Zoomed reptile multivitamins,
• Watering – For now just misting 3x day.
• Fecal Description – brownish with white lead.
• History – I’ve got this baby from a breeder in Sacramento. She is very tiny, but seems alert and runs to eat her food.

Betty’s Cage Info:
• Cage Type – 12x12x20 home made cage
• Lighting – reptisun 5.0
• Temperature – she is from 80º-90º environment
• Humidity – the humidity is from a plant and a cool mist stream.
• Plants – im not sure about the name but I often hear others call it “umbrella” very small in size to prevent falls.
• Placement – cage is next to the other two with a divider, about 45” off the floor.
• Location – Near Oakland CA

here's a link to their photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/primera/9202111172/

dang! I went to all the trouble of writing all these and not one soul even says hello....

that's a fine how do you do!

Hay hay

I'm new here too. I was never much for these types of forums, but in the few days I have been here I have gathered a lot of information. There is a wealth of knowledge here.

Although I have dealt with a ton of herps in my life, I only had one period as an adult with chams, and although the adults did super, i had major issues raising the babies. So,, I won't be posting much on care,, maybe a few ideas and more liking caging ideas as I really love to work out those types of issues.

Good luck with your chams,, they really care a special animal to be owned by!

Welcome to the forum! I'm not on line every day these days so it's not unusual for me not to respond quickly.

You said you dust with calcium every second day..is that every second feeding then? Is it phos - free? Does it contain D3?

i'm new too!

sounds like you have a good handle on the cham front though! i just got a baby male ambilobe 2 days ago! i haven't had a chameleon in several years, and have never had a panther so it's pretty exciting! i'm having a lot of fun so far!

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lol

I would not say that. I was highly disappointed in my baby jackson losses.
And just recently I lost my 3 eastern fox snakes for no apparent reason.

I have very bad well water I have used for my hognose with no issues. And for jaxs I would be using a LOT more water. For my jax in 2001 I would oxygenate the water which makes the dissolved solids enlarge so you can easily filter it. It also removes iron. It still had some minerals at its testing but I though that may be a benefit for my chams.

I also used RO water for my babies with no change. I really think the issue before was my humidity.

My experience is not in any specific area, and most of the crazy stuff I had, I was a teenager. Things are QUITE different in 2013 than 1973. As a kid I had 12 monitors and 2 adult tegus in a room. The monitors were 3' - 7' 4". If I was crazy enough to have that many varanus again, I would not have them all in 1 room. But it was cool being 14 and having all that in a room.

I'm not a newbie for sure, but not an expert, or even close.

I'm just a semi old fart looking to get a lizard project going. Chams are #2 on my list next to cyrtodactylus peguensis,, (a gecko),, But the gex are now well over $200 each. The last one I saw purchase was $20.

If I do go the cham route, I'm sure I will be in here a TON and reading and asking a lot of my own questions.

welcome to the forum Yak. I hope you find it as useful and interesting as I have.

You might want to reduce Betty's temperature a bit

we'd love to see pictures :)

I'm new here too. I was never much for these types of forums, but in the few days I have been here I have gathered a lot of information. There is a wealth of knowledge here.

Although I have dealt with a ton of herps in my life, I only had one period as an adult with chams, and although the adults did super, i had major issues raising the babies. So,, I won't be posting much on care,, maybe a few ideas and more liking caging ideas as I really love to work out those types of issues.

Good luck with your chams,, they really care a special animal to be owned by!

Thanks for your reply
Looking forward to reading from you.

Welcome to the forum! I'm not on line every day these days so it's not unusual for me not to respond quickly.

You said you dust with calcium every second day..is that every second feeding then? Is it phos - free? Does it contain D3?

Hello,
Thanks for your response, yes it is phos free and no D3. I feed daily

sounds like you have a good handle on the cham front though! i just got a baby male ambilobe 2 days ago! i haven't had a chameleon in several years, and have never had a panther so it's pretty exciting! i'm having a lot of fun so far!

great were in the same boat, it will be interesting to see how they progress. thanks for the chat

I would not say that. I was highly disappointed in my baby jackson losses.
And just recently I lost my 3 eastern fox snakes for no apparent reason.

I have very bad well water I have used for my hognose with no issues. And for jaxs I would be using a LOT more water. For my jax in 2001 I would oxygenate the water which makes the dissolved solids enlarge so you can easily filter it. It also removes iron. It still had some minerals at its testing but I though that may be a benefit for my chams.

I also used RO water for my babies with no change. I really think the issue before was my humidity.

My experience is not in any specific area, and most of the crazy stuff I had, I was a teenager. Things are QUITE different in 2013 than 1973. As a kid I had 12 monitors and 2 adult tegus in a room. The monitors were 3' - 7' 4". If I was crazy enough to have that many varanus again, I would not have them all in 1 room. But it was cool being 14 and having all that in a room.

I'm not a newbie for sure, but not an expert, or even close.

I'm just a semi old fart looking to get a lizard project going. Chams are #2 on my list next to cyrtodactylus peguensis,, (a gecko),, But the gex are now well over $200 each. The last one I saw purchase was $20.

If I do go the cham route, I'm sure I will be in here a TON and reading and asking a lot of my own questions.

great reading ya

Back
Top Bottom