Hey thats a cool chameleon...what is it?

Sammag

Hey guys, as I was web-surfing the other day, I came across a cool cham. It was blue with a mace like horny nose. It looked as if someone mixed a velied with a panther. im curious as to what it is, any ideas? The funny thing is that its being used as an ad of sorts. You can find the picture a lllreptile.com. Its hangin on the right side of the ad bar that slides from pic to pic in the middle of the screen.

Thanks in advance and id appreciate speedy responses :D

If I can find out what it is maybe I can find one to purchase

-Sam

that would be a Calumma parsonii, Parson's Chameleon, unless you have 3,000 dollars to dish out I doubt youll be able to buy one just as easily as you could buy a panther or veild. Not to mention they have many strict requirements that need to be met.

hmmm well lets go check the ol' piggy bank...lets see. 1 nickel, 2 nickel, 3 nickel...:D

Well thanks guys, I was just quite curious, for its truly a beautiful animal. Maybe one day eh?

I think there are alot of people that would love to have a parsons one day.

They are very awesome and live to be very old! The only problem is that people have a really hard time breeding them and they aren't allowed to be exported anymore (they used to be put in to fill panther chameleon orders when they didnt have enough panthers lol).

Man could you imagine back in the day ordering a WC panther and gettin a parson's? How old do they typically live to?

I could be wrong about them filling the orders with parsons as fillers, but that's what I heard.

I do however remember reading somewhere that between 1988 and the time they were banned from being exported there were over 10,000 imported to the states (now there are probbaly less than 500-1000.

I believe in captivity they can live over 20 years.

I've never even seen one in person :( but I've done a lot of research and I would love to have one some day.

Why so cheap? O ya and the one in the picture is quite blue, are all males that general hue?

because they were not rare and required to CITES papers. Rocky I saw my first parsonii last year.

Sam, there are different locales of Parsonii so no, not ALL males are that blue.

When you buy Calumma Parsonii, that 2-3000 dollars also buys you an all exclusive membership to the "Cool kids group" and that chameleon, if it deems you worthy, will also teach you the secret hand shake

I was reading an older chameleon keeper's bio. and he said that when there was talk of the ban he had both parsonii and pardalis, he thought that pardalis would be banned and took his chances with keeping the pardalis and selling the parsonii. Big mistake :D

hey rocky where in texas are you? you can go to the zoo in fort worth and see one .... it's a pretty incredible specimen

Back
Top Bottom