Hey newbie... question about panther vs.

SKnaak

Hey guys/gals Sam, from California...
Question!
I many years back had a Veiled here and really enjoyed having as pet. Now my wife and I have three kiddos and we have been going to the big reptile show here every year. We have a pet Rosy Boa who is real sweet. Well I got out of the garage all the old chameleon cage and stuff and cleaned it all up (re-screened) and its pretty good to go! We have a great reptile pet store in La Habra and I've been going there for years. He has a few chameleons for sale. In my mind I was thinking we would get a baby Veiled cause had a good experience with that one many years back. THEN just the other day with the kids (9, 7, and 5) we stopped in at another local pet shop and I didn't think they even had chameleons. They had 7! Three Veiled, two Jacksons, two Panthers... So I get to talking to kid working there and I said, yea we'll probably get a Veiled cause they are just easier I think, and do a little better with temperament. He then opened up the Panther cage and said, 'you should see this male Panther' 'sweetest chameleon you'll every meet!' I let the male crawl around on me for a bit and then my 7 year old (he wants a chameleon the most) and the guy was right, it was a super mellow happy camper. We really fell in love with that guy. He said it never hisses like the Veiled and Jacksons they have and as soon as the cage is open he goes running for your finger! :-o
All of that to say... what advice would you have toward this? Should I keep looking and maybe stick to Veiled? Or maybe I just found a rare, very well mannered Panther? He is quite a bit more money. And about 6 months old I believe. Eating very well.
My three kids are very mellow as well and very good with pets like this... love to help with cleaning out cages and all that.
Panther vs. Veiled?
Advice is much appreciated!
Sam

I'm so happy we went with a panther. Nothing against veiled, but if he's already pulled at your heart strings, then the choice seems simple.

I'm new and only have my two male Panthers, one is standoffish and one is pretty sweet. However, from what I've read, Veilds are more likely to be... Grumpy, lol. No hate on the veilds! :ROFLMAO:That's just what I've heard :)

I'm new and only have my two male Panthers, one is standoffish and one is pretty sweet. However, from what I've read, Veilds are more likely to be... Grumpy, lol. No hate on the veilds! :ROFLMAO:That's just what I've heard :)
I see your from Central California. I grew up there... what part?

I’ve bred som veilds before and there is no question about it, they do not care for humans or anything else for that matter. They are defanitly the grumpier of the two. Love my veilds but for you situation I’m voting panther.

Panthers are historically much friendlier than Veiled chameleons. That being said, there's always an exception and Veiled chameleons with some work can grow fond of you. However since you have children, I would opt for the Panther. Suck up the extra cost and it'll be worth it.

.... one more thing I’d like to add... 95% of Chams, weather veild or panther, do not like children! Young ones are far to loud, graby, and shifty for most chams taste. Since it sounds like the Cham will be shared with them just make sure they are closely monitored during their interactions. I personally have a 6yo who insists on being involved in any thing I’m doing with ours but it took a long time for him to actually understand how to be involved without freaking out the Cham. I totally support you getting them involved, just take it slow and remember to let the Cham dictate the pace.

Good luck, post some pics once he’s settled in! Kids holding a Cham for the first time make some of the best pics!
0ACBAC8E-971D-490A-B121-25A9FAE16585.jpeg

Last edited:
Im more of a panther person. They typically are more chilled than veilds but as always depends on the chameleon. Care between the two pretty similar

.... one more thing I’d like to add... 95% of Chams, weather veild or panther, likes children! Young ones are far to loud, graby, and shifty for most chams taste. Since it sounds like the Cham will be shared with them just make sure they are closely monitored during their interactions. I personally have a 6yo who insists on being involved in any thing I’m doing with ours but it took a long time for him to actually understand how to be involved without freaking out the Cham. I totally support you getting them involved, just take it slow and remember to let the Cham dictate the pace.

Good luck, post some pics once he’s settled in! Kids holding a Cham for the first time make some of the best pics!View attachment 212713
You are so right. My veild takes to my 16 yr old better then me. But will say Jacksons little beter at being calmer then veilds too. But yeah pathers are better.

You are so right. My veild takes to my 16 yr old better then me. But will say Jacksons little beter at being calmer then veilds too. But yeah pathers are better.
I wonder if its cause kids are smaller.. always come from below... adults tower over them... i can see why they appreciate that

Back
Top Bottom