Hey look, a new guy!

Crayron

Hey everyone, I've been stalking around the forums, reading up on chameleons (Obviously) Because well, I'm really interested in getting one. Really interested. Anyways! I had a couple of questions and I figured... Hey maybe you guys could help : )

Alright, so.. First off I live about 30 minutes from the nearest pet store, so I would have to keep the insects somewhere, because I really only get into the city once a week. I have a uhmmmm I believe 20" class fish tank, that I figured I could put SOMETHING in. I'm kinda hesitant on crickets, just because I don't want them making noise (the tank would be kept near where I sleep :p) But if it's a must, then, I suppose I'll deal.

Also, I'm wondering if the Chameleon will be alright on a 30 minute car ride. I really hope so, like... I don't want to cause the little guy to much stress, but.... It's kind of a must if I were to get one.

Uhmmmm, let me see. Yeah, I'll be doing alot of phoning around today, checking different places, seeing the types of uhmm what ever the little cage like things are called (The name escapes me evidently) and see what insects I can get from where! (I don't really want to order them :p Rather just go pick them up from a pet store or something)

Annnnd, I think thats about all I have to say! OH RIGHT. Also, I'm interested in getting a Veiled Chameleon :) Now thats all :p Uhmm, Thanks in advance for any "Tips" "Help" or "Suggestions" I appreciate it!

-Jordan.

p.s. I found out I have a Bait shop in my Town, so... I'm sure I could get a variety of worms there.

Last edited:
Do more research and don't get your chameleon from a pet store your better off saving a little more money for a cb from a breeder on this sight. Take a look at the classifieds there are a lot of breeders selling chameleons.

Would really suggest to not purchase a chameleon from a pet store. Your more likely to get a much healthier animal at about the same price by ordering one from the more reputable breeders online. Pet stores generally do not know or care to properly take care of them. Highly recommend a male as they are easier to start out with and you'll need a screen cage or reptarium to properly house your new guy. This is just the tip of the iceberg as their is much more to get and much more to learn. Be sure you know what your getting into. Good luck, David

Right, thats the kinda cagey thing I mentioned, but had forgotten the name. And as for the pet store thing, I agree with you there, BUT the one I'm looking at is about to get a shipment or what ever you'd call it, of a few. So I figured If I acted quick. It should be fine. As for many breeders being around.... I'm not 100% on that, I live in Qu'appelle SK. (in canada!~) and, well. I've really am not to sure if there are any breeders around, but I will check. Oh, but back to the pet store thing, would that be alright? Like if I got at one a few days after the "shipment" or what ever comes in? : )

The problem is, you don't know where their coming from. They could be wild caught or captive. Look up Puritania on the member list. She's a breeder in Canada and has baby veiled right now. They ship them overnight. Do what you want but there is no way I would purchase from a pet store due to my own exp and the exp. of others on this forum.

NEVER LISTEN TO PET STORES WHEN IT COMES TO CHAM CARE! Just thought id tell you that...do more research on caging and their habitat id say.

Welcome fellow Canadian! I was born in Manitoba (Brookdale/Brandon), raised in British Columbia (Salmon Arm), currently living in Seattle, Washington.

I would echoe others here saying continue to research.

My suggestions:

Use the search function on this forum, it's incredible.

Buy and raise a colony of blaptica dubia roaches and you'll never go to the pet store again.

Remember that if you go with crickets, your cham will eat upwards of 12 crickets a day for several months depending on his age. See if you can order crickets delivered in bulk to your house.

Remember that one day - all of a sudden and without warning - your cham may swear off crickets, and never touch another one for a very long time. Think about staples but also think about variety.

Remember that most cham's coming from a sitution where there was little cage cleaning or high cross contamination will likely have a parasite that you may need to treat once you get them - find a vet who can do fecal exams for you.

Rememeber humidity - the next thread you will post after you get your cham will go like this "how do you guys deal with drainage and flooding in your chameleon cage?" The humidity levels that these guys need, require a lot of water, and that water has to go somewhere other then the bottom of your cage. (again use the search tool on the forums)

If money isn't an option I highly recommend the promist-60 misting unit. It saved my hobby!

Also remember that although this hobby isn't for everyone, it's very rewarding and I'm not trying to discourage you, but in a way I am.

Like my pastor said to me on my first day of pre-marital councelling, "My goal is to break you up before I marry you so I can see how serious you are about this commitment."

Good luck and welcome!:)

Hey, another Canadian!!

I am in Edmonton, Alberta. My boyfriend is from Saskatchewan too. Ever herd of Raymore??

I definatly agree with getting a male. We bought ours from a pet store, and were told that it was a male, but suprise suprise, we got a female. She adds a lot of work and stress when she is about to lay eggs.

I am thinking about purchasing another one from a guy on this forum that i got a hold of his name is ChromaChameleons (he ships from ontario), and from what hear the little guys are ready to ship by June, panthers tho, not sure if he carries veileds. I've searched the pet stores, and the ones from the breeder look about 100x more impressive! But I mean after we got our Veiled home from the pet store, it took about a week for her to get nice a settled, and she is doing just great.

oh ps. at the time we did live about 25 min away from the pet store.

Huh! Awesome : ) Thanks alot for that, and yeah ! I do know where Raymore is :) And thanks for the welcome guys :p

Welcome fellow Canuck!

Before you get your cham, if you are VERY serious about it, make sure you buy all the supplies you need first and have it all set up so you can move your new cham in right away once you get one with as little hassle as possible. You don't want the thing climbing your curtains while you put the cage together! Here are some tips for the enclosure:

- Mesh is best. Glass enclosures can cause respiratory infections (stale air) and some chams will also be stressed by their own reflections.

- You want an enclosure that's taller than it is wide, because chams like to climb! A small cham can do alright in a cage about 2.5 feet high, but as it gets older you will probably want a cage that is at least 4 feet high. Honestly, it just costs less to start with a big cage than to get a little one and replace it later on.

- Research any live plants thoroughly before putting them in the cage. Live plants are best, because they help with humidity and are easier to keep clean, but you want to make sure they are cham-safe and cleaned of any potential chemical traces.

- Get a good heat lamp, positioned out of reach of the cham so it will not burn itself, as well as a seperate UV light. Don't get one of those combo lights, they don't really work. Make sure there is no glass or plastic in the UV light holder- if there is, take it out.

- Make sure to buy your vitamins/calcium suppliment ahead of time, along with any cricket supplies (if you want to incorporate commercial food with your gut load) so that you can start feeding your crickets right away. (You NEED to suppliment, no way around it, despite what many pet store clerks will tell you.)

- Don't use a waterfall, they accumulate bacteria. Also, don't stick a dish of water in there, chameleons don't recognize standing water.

A proper enclosure, with heat lamps, vines and greenery, and et cetera will be expensive. Many forum members here build their own cages for cheaper (and some are GORGEOUS) but if you aren't a handyman like that... you may find yourself shelling out a fair bit for a decent cage. But I must stress to you- it's worth it. It is necessary to give your cham a lot of space to hide and climb in order for it to be happy. I have a 175 gallon mesh cage, a live schifflera (umbrella plant), a live corn plant, several fake leaf garlands and vines, plus the heat lamp and the UV light. (I hand-mist, but you may want to invest in an auto-mister.) This is all for my male veiled. It has cost me a good $350 when all is said and done, which is PROBABLY around what you can expect to spend getting everything set up yourself. (Somebody? Stop me if I'm wrong, and then tell me where I can get cheaper stuff!)

As for the cham itself, veileds are great and probably one of the easier chameleons to keep, and it'd be best for you to start with a male. Males are more nasty and aggressive than females (don't get me wrong, females are mean too) but you don't have to worry about watching them for getting pregnant and making sure they lay their eggs and whatnot. (Females will lay eggs even if they haven't mated and if they don't lay, they will hold the eggs in until they die.)

A lot of that you've probably read elsewhere on the forum but I just figured it's good to have a handy little checklist in front of you in case you decide to take the plunge. Remember to do your shopping first!

If you do buy a cham, best of luck, and it's a good thing you found this forum because it is EXCELLENT. There is someone on this forum whose name I forget at the moment... but you should check out his blog: www.raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com.

That's all I can think of at the moment!

Wow.

Thanks for the lengthy reply!! I appreciate it :D and 350? Thats it? Awesome! I was thinkin' I'd have to spend alot more. Thats a relief :) THanks again!

Thanks for the lengthy reply!! I appreciate it :D and 350? Thats it? Awesome! I was thinkin' I'd have to spend alot more. Thats a relief :) THanks again!

You're welcome ^_^

Yeah, $350 isn't too bad I guess. I'm a University student, so $350 is like a year's worth of Kraft Dinner, you know. I would say you're looking at probably at least that much if you don't build the cage yourself- fortunately the upkeep of a chameleon doesn't cost too much- especially if you breed your own crickets/roaches/worms or buy in bulk, plus the suppliments (if you go for the big size) last quite a while :)

If you do decide to get a cham let us know eh?

Well! About the uhm, breeding insects and stuff, I found out I have a bait shop in town, and the guy sells some of the insects, (for fishing, but I don't see whats wrong with making it chameleon food) so I could probly get good deals :D Also, Thanks for the welcomes guys :D

Back
Top Bottom