Hey I’m new and need advice

Hi Im new to Chamaeleon forms I’ve been reading everyone’s advice to other people but so far this is my set up I have holes on the inside so that water can process through I have a Mist King and I have reptile vitamins that he needs and got a lot of advice from watching my favorite chancel about panther chameleons shout out to: Neptune the Chamaeleon. She’s awesome but I wanted some advice from you all like what plants would be best and if I should get Bamboo sticks or outside sticks and ya know anything from you guys would help I’ll take pictures of my chameleon when he is here in April

Attachments

• 6F4B6F42-9B5E-49DA-82BB-EE41977EE8F2.jpeg
    6F4B6F42-9B5E-49DA-82BB-EE41977EE8F2.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hi there and welcome to the forums. Good plants are, pothos, moneytrees, Mass Canes. Those are a few good ones to start. You can certainly use bamboo and outside sticks. Just be sure to wash the outside sticks thoroughly. It's looks like you got all the right stuff of the bat so that is good. We will look forward to seeing pictures. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Gingero does have some awesome videos on chameleons!
Chameleon Academy does has lots of information as well...and there is definitely lots on this forum.

For sticks/branches...I've always used branches from trees I can find outside in areas where no pesticides would be used on them.

Regarding your supplements...you said you have vitamins...but what about calcium, etc?

Welcome to the forum!

Gingero does have some awesome videos on chameleons!
Chameleon Academy does has lots of information as well...and there is definitely lots on this forum.

For sticks/branches...I've always used branches from trees I can find outside in areas where no pesticides would be used on them.

Regarding your supplements...you said you have vitamins...but what about calcium, etc?
I meant these sorry and I plan on doing these

Attachments

• 430B57C9-9F48-496D-A845-41644073C7F0.jpeg
    430B57C9-9F48-496D-A845-41644073C7F0.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 79
  • A095D9E5-5BCE-49B3-A857-434B320B76E9.jpeg
    A095D9E5-5BCE-49B3-A857-434B320B76E9.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 80
Just as everyone else has said, welcome! I've learned a ton from the forum and Chameleon Academy myself.

I use big schefflera (umbrella) plants as centerpieces in my adult enclosures. You can pick up big ones (like 3 feet tall) from lowes or home depot. I also suspend hanging angel plants in mine, and they look great.

If you use wood from outside, it needs to be wood other than cedar which is toxic to reptiles. Also, wood can have pest invertebrates living deep inside of it, and potentially parasites. So, in order for it to be "reptile safe", you'll need to either soak it for a long time in a bleach solution, or bake it for a couple of hours in your oven at 250 degrees F.

I meant these sorry and I plan on doing these
You would not follow her schedule with these supplements because you have a multivitamin with D3 rather then them being separate.

So... IF you have a Panther or a Veiled this is how you would use the supplements you have. Your reptivite has D3 in it and it would be used every other week at one feeding day. Then all other feeding days you would use the calcium WITHOUT D3.

You would never use the calcium with D3 so you would return that to the store.

Just as everyone else has said, welcome! I've learned a ton from the forum and Chameleon Academy myself.

I use big schefflera (umbrella) plants as centerpieces in my adult enclosures. You can pick up big ones (like 3 feet tall) from lowes or home depot. I also suspend hanging angel plants in mine, and they look great.

If you use wood from outside, it needs to be wood other than cedar which is toxic to reptiles. Also, wood can have pest invertebrates living deep inside of it, and potentially parasites. So, in order for it to be "reptile safe", you'll need to either soak it for a long time in a bleach solution, or bake it for a couple of hours in your oven at 250 degrees F.

Not true, fresh branches hold up better than cooked. Now if you want to clean off bird poop, go for it, but the fear over parasites (funny no one ever mention which specifically) is overblown. Let them sun bake and rinse with a hose, otherwise you're breaking down the wood and/or introducing dangerous chemical residue(bleach) to your enclosure.

I literally take dead logs and live branches from our woods and put them all through my enclosures. Never had a parasite issue with chameleons. That's usually from buying crickets at petstores or chameleons from breeders with an outbreak.

Not true, fresh branches hold up better than cooked. Now if you want to clean off bird poop, go for it, but the fear over parasites (funny no one ever mention which specifically) is overblown. Let them sun bake and rinse with a hose, otherwise you're breaking down the wood and/or introducing dangerous chemical residue(bleach) to your enclosure.

I literally take dead logs and live branches from our woods and put them all through my enclosures. Never had a parasite issue with chameleons. That's usually from buying crickets at petstores or chameleons from breeders with an outbreak.

I've un-intentionally transferred slugs from wood introduced to my bio enclosure. Now I have a slug problem :oops:
Agree not using bleach, I'll sun bake and rinse next time.

Hi and welcome I personally wouldn't go down the bleach route with branches never used it never needed it if you have porous branches it would be hard to get out as Beman said bamboo can be / is slippy ( I personally have found if you don't get the correct size (in the beginning when I was wet behind the ears my girl slipped) you are starting fresh so start fresh. There are lots of great people on here with lots of experience. And always ask as many questions as you want there is never a stupid 1 . Enjoy 😉

You would not follow her schedule with these supplements because you have a multivitamin with D3 rather then them being separate.

So... IF you have a Panther or a Veiled this is how you would use the supplements you have. Your reptivite has D3 in it and it would be used every other week at one feeding day. Then all other feeding days you would use the calcium WITHOUT D3.

You would never use the calcium with D3 so you would return that to the store.
Wait I’m a little confused now what should I not be using ? I got a panther chameleon should I not use the purple one ? And thanks hopping to hear from you soon

Wait I’m a little confused now what should I not be using ? I got a panther chameleon should I not use the purple one ? And thanks hopping to hear from you soon
You would not use the purple one since your multi vitamin contains d3 in it already. And you would use the multivitamin every other week so that you are using it twice a month.

I've un-intentionally transferred slugs from wood introduced to my bio enclosure. Now I have a slug problem :oops:
Agree not using bleach, I'll sun bake and rinse next time.

Ahhh yeah, I mean, use some common sense haha. Slugs can be a PITA, but couldn't be too hard to get rid of them? Maybe try beer traps in your enclosure?

Hello there! You’ve gotten some really great info from the forum members already. I’ll just add that CaskAbove.com has a plant safe list with plant care and positioning, supplement schedule info, enclosure setup and checklists that may help you a lot. Hope this helps and Welcome to the fam! ☺️

Oh and btw, you may want to keep that calcium with d for a “rainy day” if you ever have a problem getting your UVB bulb or fixture replaced and outdoor sunning isn’t an option in your climate. But for the most part you won’t need to use a calcium with d when you have a multivitamin with d, as long as you have the correct uvb bulb setup. ☺️

Back
Top Bottom