Hey guys meet hyde the panther! :D

Darwinning

So I just recently adopted my first panther chameleon from a half off sale at petco for both the reptile and repti screen chameleon setup. I have inserted pictures below to show his setup and his awesome little self. I am however a little concerned due to him biting fake vines and sitting with his mouth open at times but I've been told this by my roomates. I haven't personally Sen him do it yet. To better inform.:

He's in a 16x16x24 I belive it says nowhere on the box the size -_-
Basking area: 90 without a/c 85 with a/c
Mid of tank: 79 without a/c 75 with a/c
4 exo Terra fake plants 2 med at the top 1 small in the middle and 1 large at the bottom and vines to give him as much hiding/climbing options as he desires.

I Feed him gutload crickets every morning freerange and always make sure I take the stragglers out cause I know theyve been left out the longest and possibly have eaten poo. He's a little hunting machine :p

For humidity I keep fans and ac off at night and cover 2 sides of screen cage with shirts to mist and keep himid.

Due to living in the San fernando valley in california which summer is now setting in my area gets to a whopping 100 no problem during the day so we run our ac a lot. To try and compensate for this i place his cage on the highest shelf in my room a foot or 2 away from a vent I keep shut 24/7 ( is this a problem even if the vent is closed?) However I have another vent I keep open partially but it still drops the Temps in my room down to the mid 70s never lower.
This spot also keeps him away from other animals such as dog and cats which they all pay no mind to him and certainly cannot get to him I make sure of it :D

My first question is what should I do regarding the a/c and heat situation? should I close the second vent which is across the room facing away from him and just let the air seep into the room from the rest of the house or will he possibly be fine by maintain ly his own temperature by going to his heat light.

Attachments

• 20150723_203105.jpg
    20150723_203105.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 20150804_113442.jpg
    20150804_113442.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 20150729_164652.jpg
    20150729_164652.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 159
Ahh I forgot my second question!

What can I do for him biting on his vines? He's not trying to eat them but he bites on them pretty violently. There were no crickets in his cage when I saw him do this and his water was not dripping at the time either, should I get him some vegetation to eat on?

To start, you are the owner of a very pretty FEMALE Panther Chameleon. The temperatures seem fine, even with the AC running, as long as his basking spot stays above 80 degrees. Ideally you'd want it from 85-90, though the rest of the cage can be lower temperature. Night time temperatures can dip in the low 70's without an issue. You can try using like a shower curtain on any side that the vent may be blowing into to see if it'll help. Is it one particular plant he's going after, or all of them? If it's a specific one, maybe try removing it and see what happens.

Wow thank you very much! If she's a she then looks like I have some renaming to do lol. I will definetely try the shower curtain , I didn't really think the little one would need it considering the heat bulb I had got with the setup said it was in specific for a chameleon and was worried any hotter would cause problems due to living in the desert. And as for the plant biting it seems to be in one spot but very seldomly at this point.

If your cham is biting the fake ones I would put real plants in the cage. Any greenhouse, Lowes or home depot should have ficus and umbrella trees, that is what most of us use.

Back
Top Bottom