Hey everyone! I'm new here & to the chameleon world!

Bryan47

Hey everyone!
So I post this with much excitement, as an avid animal lover and very active in the saltwater fish, coral, and invertebrate world I have branched out! I got a bearded dragon about 3 months ago and love him dearly! I am know getting into reptiles more and chameleons JUST became legal here in Rhode Island. I plan to breed Panther Chameleons! I figured I would start with a veiled chameleon and learn as much as I can through online communities and books! I am posting a screenshot of the 3 books I ordered second hand from Amazon, I am hoping they will be good resources and if any of you have read them or have any recommendations for books or resources I am eager to learn. I started with saltwater fish 3 years ago and now I am on the board of directors for the Ocean State Reef Aquarium Society; so you can count on me to be an active member of the community. I purchased a used Large Exo Terra Repti breeze and what accessories by good friend who owns the store thought I would need to get started. I purchased a male VEILED chameleon to master the keeping of chamelons before purchasing my veiled chamelons. I am particularly fond of the Ambilobe locale of Panthers. I will post a picture of my setup.

The exo terra is currently being setup as we speak to house the baby veiled. I usually would have done more research before making the purchase but the situation presented it self.

My other questions are this:
1. I see there is a resources tab on this site I plan to use it heavily, any other resources or even videos would be greatly appreciated.

2. One of the enclosures I received was glass and I was told by a few people that because of our climate (North east) Glass enclosures can be good IF well ventilated. I plan to get some polarized glasses and if it is not tempered I have a diamond drill I use for reef fish tanks and I will be drilling many holes for screens and glass.

3. Any tips for a newbie will GREATLY be appreciated. I am not a fly by night hobbits I take these things very seriously and I am a huge animal lover.

*** I have attached the list of books I purchased tonight! Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 1.16.48 AM.png

Hey everyone!
So I post this with much excitement, as an avid animal lover and very active in the saltwater fish, coral, and invertebrate world I have branched out! I got a bearded dragon about 3 months ago and love him dearly! I am know getting into reptiles more and chameleons JUST became legal here in Rhode Island. I plan to breed Panther Chameleons! I figured I would start with a veiled chameleon and learn as much as I can through online communities and books! I am posting a screenshot of the 3 books I ordered second hand from Amazon, I am hoping they will be good resources and if any of you have read them or have any recommendations for books or resources I am eager to learn. I started with saltwater fish 3 years ago and now I am on the board of directors for the Ocean State Reef Aquarium Society; so you can count on me to be an active member of the community. I purchased a used Large Exo Terra Repti breeze and what accessories by good friend who owns the store thought I would need to get started. I purchased a male VEILED chameleon to master the keeping of chamelons before purchasing my veiled chamelons. I am particularly fond of the Ambilobe locale of Panthers. I will post a picture of my setup.

The exo terra is currently being setup as we speak to house the baby veiled. I usually would have done more research before making the purchase but the situation presented it self.

My other questions are this:
1. I see there is a resources tab on this site I plan to use it heavily, any other resources or even videos would be greatly appreciated.

2. One of the enclosures I received was glass and I was told by a few people that because of our climate (North east) Glass enclosures can be good IF well ventilated. I plan to get some polarized glasses and if it is not tempered I have a diamond drill I use for reef fish tanks and I will be drilling many holes for screens and glass.

3. Any tips for a newbie will GREATLY be appreciated. I am not a fly by night hobbits I take these things very seriously and I am a huge animal lover.

*** I have attached the list of books I purchased tonight!View attachment 168791
chameleons take a lot of time effort. Breeding them everybody has opinions take everybody's advice and do what's best for you it will take you awhile. I live in Massachusetts. You have to take the climate. What species of locales were you thinking of breeding.

chameleons take a lot of time effort. Breeding them everybody has opinions take everybody's advice and do what's best for you it will take you awhile. I live in Massachusetts. You have to take the climate. What species of locales were you thinking of breeding.
Hey Link! I actually was just in Mass (Franklin) to get the reptibreeze. Are there any local clubs? Keeping in mind I am in Northern RI so not to far from Mass.
Once I master the care and knowledge of chameleons with my first veiled, I will be looking to breed Ambilobe locale of Panthers!

Thank you for your quick reply!

Hey Link! I actually was just in Mass (Franklin) to get the reptibreeze. Are there any local clubs? Keeping in mind I am in Northern RI so not to far from Mass.
Once I master the care and knowledge of chameleons with my first veiled, I will be looking to breed Ambilobe locale of Panthers!

Thank you for your quick reply!
Well I have 4 locale right now. I don't know many of clubs. This is usually where I have my club. But there is a few good reptile stores. That's strictly adhere to just reptiles. You can get hornworms all kinds of types of crickets micros up to large. I don't know how much they have in Rhode Island. Butt jabberwocks in Winchester is a very good place. I will also be having a bunch of clutches hatching soon seeing that you're that close I'll let you know. If you have any questions just ask

Welcome Bryan47 , I'm also from mass Cape cod . We have 2 beardies , a Leopard gecko , and one female veild chameleon. We have always had beardies , and geckos . New to charms . There very specialized care as @Nursemaia says . There's many amazing keepers here , Take there advice !!. This will be the only club you will need . Most you're things will be cheaper to order .

Welcome to the forum. There's plenty of great information here.
I recommend lots of live plants and coverage. So much it's nearly impossible to find him in there.
He's also going to out grow the large enclosure. The minimum size for a male veiled is 24x24x48 but the bigger the better.
Invest in a top of the line misting system and lights. It's worth it.
I can't preach the importance of proper supplementation schedule and UVB lights.
Use a variety of feeders
Don't be surprised if your cham never wants to be held. They're a look at pet but some can be friendly, lots are not.

Welcome I am also a first time chameleon owner as well ont canada I mostly have snakes I have not been on this forum long but have learned alot already

Back
Top Bottom