Herpetology

telkins08

ive been reading alot about this lately and ive come to the conclusion of that im going to become a herpetologist and major in mostly chameleon and other lizard species. im still in highschool so this is a pretty big goal ive set.

also i was wondering if any others on here have any background in herpetology and can possibly help me out?

I have also considered a career in herpetology...my girlfriend is studying to be an ornithologist (bird scientist) and just got her bachelor's in biology. If you are serious, take some advanced biology classes and also some chemistry while you are still in high school. Organic chemistry is going to be a very difficult class and is required for a bachelor's in biology.

I would also get some good personal references from science teachers. You should also try to get some hands on experience in the field, be it volunteering at a zoo with the reptiles, leading or participating in a local herping club, and attending lectures in your area that are animal biology geared.

Have you thought about what exactly you want to do in herpetology? Do you want to be a reptile vet, zoo curator, field biologist? That will be a big cue for the direction you need to step to make it happen.

ive been reading alot about this lately and ive come to the conclusion of that im going to become a herpetologist and major in mostly chameleon and other lizard species. im still in highschool so this is a pretty big goal ive set.

also i was wondering if any others on here have any background in herpetology and can possibly help me out?

Telkins, not sure exactly what kind of work there is in terms of herpetology but i must say, get in chemistry and biology courses as soon as you can like Kenya said. I will have my bachelors in Biology with a minor in environmental sciences in about a year and a half and the chemistry has by far been the most difficult part and im not even done yet. My curriculum requires chem 1,2, and organic chem 1, and 2. Dont let that scare you though. If you enjoy this kind of field you'll look at boring classes in a whole different mindset. Good luck!

thanks! i know its going to be ALOT of work to come, and im still a little fuzzy on what i want to do overall. but what from what you guys said i know where to start out and im going to plan my goals for that first. lol the chem seems pretty scary and i know ill have to take some not so fun classes but i know in the end it will be totally worth it.

If it makes you feel better, I really hate math and I loved taking chemistry in high school. It is actually a lot of fun, but the teacher will make or break it. Go in with an open mind.

I have to say that physics was the worst class ever, though and I don't know anyone who disagrees with that sentiment. Get it out of the way as soon as you can via AP classes.

The first thing to think about is "what is a herpetologist?" To be honest, they are typically a biologist of some type who uses reptiles and amphibians as their medium to answer biological questions. Biology is very broad and there are many subfields within biology. Further, it is very difficult to define any biologist into a single subfield. I could be referred to as a biologist, a herpetologist, a physiologist, a biomechanist, a morphologist, an ecophysiologist, a functional morphologist, an environmental physiologist and many more. The point I'm trying to make is that when you are preparing yourself to become a "herpetologist" you need to realize that you will need to keep an open mind and become a biologist before you can focus on reptiles and amphibians. At that point, you can decide whether you want to study cellular/molecular biology, ecology, evolution, conservation, physiology, animal behavior, systematics, etc. You can study reptiles and amphibians using any of these major subfields of biology but typically you need to focus on a subfield to conduct your research in.

As far as jobs available as a "herpetologist," it really depends. The obvious track is the academia track where you get a Ph.D. and go on to a tenure-track position at a major research university teaching and conducting research. You could also end up simply teaching at either the college or some other level and the degree required to do that will vary. You also can work for the government (Fish and Wildlife, etc.), an NGO (conservation groups, etc.) or for industry (company environmental scientist, etc.). Again, the degree needed for this positions will vary but it is very competitive and a Master's is often the bear minimum.

The education required is daunting. If you plan on going into academia at a research institution, you can expect a 15+ year track after you graduate highschool. Undergrad is about 4 years, Ph.D. is about 6 and then you usually end up doing 2 or 3 PostDocs (1-3 years each) of varying lengths before you actually get a tenure track position. Keep in mind that it seems less and less common to graduate from a lot of undergrad programs in 4 years, many people get their master's (about 3 years) between their BS and Ph.D. and MS and Ph.D projects can take a lot longer then planned, especially if you do field work. Its a big commitment and can take a long time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that research is not always fun and glamorous. Biologists don't always just get to go into the field and watch/play with reptiles and amphibians. The vast majority of my year is spent teaching or in the lab behind a computer analyzing data, writing grant & research proposals and writing papers. Obviously this will vary depending on the type of research you are doing and where you are located relative to where you conduct your research but its not all fun and games. What you see on Animal Planet is definitely not what herpetologists typically do.

As far as recommendations go, definitely take as many science and math classes as you can and study hard. Once you get into college you'll most likely major in Biology or maybe Zoology (there really isn't a herpetology major at most schools). Biology majors are often designed around the pre-meds so you'll have to seek out other biology courses to take so that you can build up your experience and knowledge. Be sure to get involved in research as an undergrad as well (this is really key if you plan on going to grad school). Finally, keep an open mind. If you really want to do herpetology, thats great, but you never know when something will come along and change your mind or what class that you hate or didn't think you would ever use will end up being critical in your research. I personally only took a single semester of physics and really didn't think too much of it. Now physics plays a big role in a lot of my research.

I hope I've not scared you but rather prepared you so that down the road when you start encountering these things you realize that its normal and not to get too worked up over them. It can be a very difficult and long road. While it isn't always fun, if its something you enjoy, its extremely rewarding and worth every effort you put into it.

Good luck!

Can you major in chameleon? ..... I mean, if you're not Chris Anderson?;)

Haha, I wish they taught chameleon classes!

Chris

Well said Chris Anderson, well said! :)

I would say the majority of people in the world, like myself, with a Biology Degree (Pre-med track just like Chris mentioned :) ) find out that they are not quite cut out for the long hours and intensive work that research requires and go into the vast world of "other" employement! I did teach for awhile, considered getting my masters, but "life" seems to steer you in different directions (Husband/Kids)! Of course that good old Biology degree comes in mighty handy when you are facing decisions of a medical nature and of course for the greatest hobby and passion in my life-chameleons! :)

The first thing to think about is "what is a herpetologist?" To be honest, they are typically a biologist of some type who uses reptiles and amphibians as their medium to answer biological questions. Biology is very broad and there are many subfields within biology. Further, it is very difficult to define any biologist into a single subfield. I could be referred to as a biologist, a herpetologist, a physiologist, a biomechanist, a morphologist, an ecophysiologist, a functional morphologist, an environmental physiologist and many more. The point I'm trying to make is that when you are preparing yourself to become a "herpetologist" you need to realize that you will need to keep an open mind and become a biologist before you can focus on reptiles and amphibians. At that point, you can decide whether you want to study cellular/molecular biology, ecology, evolution, conservation, physiology, animal behavior, systematics, etc. You can study reptiles and amphibians using any of these major subfields of biology but typically you need to focus on a subfield to conduct your research in.

As far as jobs available as a "herpetologist," it really depends. The obvious track is the academia track where you get a Ph.D. and go on to a tenure-track position at a major research university teaching and conducting research. You could also end up simply teaching at either the college or some other level and the degree required to do that will vary. You also can work for the government (Fish and Wildlife, etc.), an NGO (conservation groups, etc.) or for industry (company environmental scientist, etc.). Again, the degree needed for this positions will vary but it is very competitive and a Master's is often the bear minimum.

The education required is daunting. If you plan on going into academia at a research institution, you can expect a 15+ year track after you graduate highschool. Undergrad is about 4 years, Ph.D. is about 6 and then you usually end up doing 2 or 3 PostDocs (1-3 years each) of varying lengths before you actually get a tenure track position. Keep in mind that it seems less and less common to graduate from a lot of undergrad programs in 4 years, many people get their master's (about 3 years) between their BS and Ph.D. and MS and Ph.D projects can take a lot longer then planned, especially if you do field work. Its a big commitment and can take a long time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that research is not always fun and glamorous. Biologists don't always just get to go into the field and watch/play with reptiles and amphibians. The vast majority of my year is spent teaching or in the lab behind a computer analyzing data, writing grant & research proposals and writing papers. Obviously this will vary depending on the type of research you are doing and where you are located relative to where you conduct your research but its not all fun and games. What you see on Animal Planet is definitely not what herpetologists typically do.

As far as recommendations go, definitely take as many science and math classes as you can and study hard. Once you get into college you'll most likely major in Biology or maybe Zoology (there really isn't a herpetology major at most schools). Biology majors are often designed around the pre-meds so you'll have to seek out other biology courses to take so that you can build up your experience and knowledge. Be sure to get involved in research as an undergrad as well (this is really key if you plan on going to grad school). Finally, keep an open mind. If you really want to do herpetology, thats great, but you never know when something will come along and change your mind or what class that you hate or didn't think you would ever use will end up being critical in your research. I personally only took a single semester of physics and really didn't think too much of it. Now physics plays a big role in a lot of my research.

I hope I've not scared you but rather prepared you so that down the road when you start encountering these things you realize that its normal and not to get too worked up over them. It can be a very difficult and long road. While it isn't always fun, if its something you enjoy, its extremely rewarding and worth every effort you put into it.

Good luck!

Chris

Gads! You've taken all the fun out of it! :rolleyes:

-Brad

On the other hand, look at it this way - those 15+ years (may vary) in training, etc. can be very rewarding, as a lot of that time may be spent working with something you love. I have a PhD in biology (specifically plant biology; more specifically poisonous mushrooms). I knew this was the road I wanted to set out down after my first high school biology class. 4 years undergrad, 5 years grad school, 6+ years to date as a postdoctoral researcher - but after the first year or two undergraduate (the aforementioned chemistry classes, possibly calculus, etc. - I did not do magnificently in those), its been classes and work I'm interested in, and I can't think that I would have been happier spending these past years doing anything else, even if it led me to a "real" job more quickly. In college, it will probably be a couple years before you can start taking the classes you're really interested in (they generally have more basic prerequisites), but bigger universities often have things like a herpetology club, to which anyone is welcome, and see if you can get a job working in a lab (or museum, or zoo) early on. Check out the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists <http://www.asih.org/>; if you're really interested, anyone who can pay annual dues can join (as low as $45 a year, with somebody vouching for you as a student; this is probably designed with college students in mind, but I can't imagine they wouldn't give a high school student the discounted membership rate as well), and it can be really interesting and valuable to get involved somewhat at the professional level early on. Also keep an open mind - many places may not have a "herpetology" program per say, but you can study reptiles and amphibians through zoology, fisheries and wildlife, ecology, etc. Ecology may be worth looking at if you wish to study animals in the wild, i.e. do field work in Madagascar with wild chameleon populations.

My two cents; good luck!

Whats funny is that since i was about 3 i was really into inscects and wanted to be an entemologist, and that kept going till i was about 11, then, i got into reptiles, my first chameleon didnt go so well, then i took a break and i have my guys, i too am interested in herpetology, i just find it funny that i was into insects now i feed them to my reptiles >.<

normal animals never really did interest me, even though i love them, sorry i just felt like posting this :D

Talk to your highschool guidance counsellor or You might like to consider contacting your local community college - one that has a university transfer option. Academic Advisors and Career Counsellors at those colleges would be happy (at least where I live they are) to meet with high school students to discuss their future goals, dreams, and help you set realistic plans and choose what classes to study both at high school and in College before moving on to University. Frequently college offers a less expensive and better learning environment for first year studies.
Like Chris said, you'll want to take all the biology classes you can, as well as chemistry, mathmatics, and dont forget English. Being able to write a clear paper that explains your ideas is just as important as having those ideas in the first place if you want good grades!

Wow i must be a real geek. I am also in high school and am interested in herpetology. This just sounds so exciting to me! sorry for the diversion.

I think if u want it these few classes that maybe tough but should not deter you from your goal.

Please remind that there aren't much jobs for biologists (at least here in Germany). I've think about it very long and decided finally to study chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom