Here s a weird one! Has anyone tried a coated Tomato cage?

Call me brilliant or just plain dumb. Has anyone added a small coated tomato cage to their enclousures? Here s my reasoning. It adds both horizontal and vertical climb space while supporting ficus and other taller plants. The steel is coated so it not raw metal that your chameleon is rubbing up againist. You can run shorter vines through it to create even more horizontal climbing. More durable and won't mold like some reptile vines. My concerns are how hot the tomato cage could get under the basking lamp and is the coating dangerous to chams. I am curious to hear what everyone thinks!

Well aren't the wires on tomato cages like, pretty thin? I cant imagine it would be good or natural for their feet.

Last summer I grew some tomatoes.. the cages I used got pretty darn warm under the sun. But thats the sun, not a heating lamp. Not sure if the coating would be harmful if it scratched off.

I would also be worried about any sharp bits of metal.

The one I have is pretty sturdy but I didn't even think of that hmm. That would be very uncomfortable! That alone makes me think it's a horrible idea!
True , my zoomed vines have been ripping with the wire becoming exposed so I ve been tossing stuff and looking for alternatives! I feel like metals not even worth the risk but I m also just curious hahaha.
I ve seen people use bamboo poles

Lol just go outside and and get some sticks. Natural as it gets

Make sure the sticks aren't from trees with sap.

Wash them well with soap and warm water. Some people bake them, but I just alternate pouring boiling water, and then cold water over them a couple times. Haven't had any problems.

The one I have is pretty sturdy but I didn't even think of that hmm. That would be very uncomfortable!

perhaps you could wrap it in burlap, coat with silicone, then ecoearth. This would give it the right thickness and further waterproof the metal.

Personally I would use bamboo or something natural.

Lol just go outside and and get some sticks. Natural as it gets

Make sure the sticks aren't from trees with sap.

Wash them well with soap and warm water. Some people bake them, but I just alternate pouring boiling water, and then cold water over them a couple times. Haven't had any problems.
Just freaks me out because it's so humid here and full of bugs haha welcome to new england!

Are you having issues getting height, like to hook stuff in? Show me a pic of what your working with. And yes the exo terra jungle vines are horrendous! When I was a newbie I did not know that and bought $100 worth of them. Not only do they peel but the black stuff can flake off in the chams eye if they rub their face on them.

Are you having issues getting height, like to hook stuff in? Show me a pic of what your working with. And yes the exo terra jungle vines are horrendous! When I was a newbie I did not know that and bought $100 worth of them. Not only do they peel but the black stuff can flake off in the chams eye if they rub their face on them.
Just got the 2x2x4 cage waiting on the stand which is coming friday. My ficus and vines are short so filling the upper portions going to be hard. They are terrible!

Just got the 2x2x4 cage waiting on the stand which is coming friday. My ficus and vines are short so filling the upper portions going to be hard. They are terrible!
Dragon ledges are awesome for attaching plants, branches, vines etc throughout higher levels. You could also try making your own scaffolding type support, attached to the enclosure frame to help hang things higher.

I like to use wild grape vines. There everywhere here in Iowa in the woods, not sure ? if you have them in New England?
5E285440-BF13-4C61-AB01-3355766756D2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom