Herbivory...includes a bit on Furcifer Oustaleti in it...

kinyonga

Chameleon Queen
"The chameleon Furcifer oustaleti (Mocquard, 1894) consume plant parts using different mechanism of collection if compared with animal prey. The capture of arthropods occurs through the projection of his tongue, while the consumption of fruit, for example, takes place by direct collection of the jaws. The mechanism indicates that the individuals identify the food item before consuming them and, since there is no need to capture vegetables items, the chameleons opt for direct collection, saving energy spent on the tongue projection"...
https://www.intechopen.com/books/herbivores/herbivory-by-lizards

Very interesting about cellulose digestion...("Plant tissues are more difficult to digest than invertebrates due to the presence of cellulose"). I've wondered for years if gutloading with veggies, greens and such will really benefit all species of chameleons. That's part of the reason I usually say to feed/gutload the insects well...I've always been aiming at the insects being well fed to be healthy and figuring that there might be some use to the chameleons when they eat the insect too...but never had any proof of it.

"The chameleon Furcifer oustaleti (Mocquard, 1894) consume plant parts using different mechanism of collection if compared with animal prey. The capture of arthropods occurs through the projection of his tongue, while the consumption of fruit, for example, takes place by direct collection of the jaws. The mechanism indicates that the individuals identify the food item before consuming them and, since there is no need to capture vegetables items, the chameleons opt for direct collection, saving energy spent on the tongue projection"...
https://www.intechopen.com/books/herbivores/herbivory-by-lizards

Very interesting about cellulose digestion...("Plant tissues are more difficult to digest than invertebrates due to the presence of cellulose"). I've wondered for years if gutloading with veggies, greens and such will really benefit all species of chameleons. That's part of the reason I usually say to feed/gutload the insects well...I've always been aiming at the insects being well fed to be healthy and figuring that there might be some use to the chameleons when they eat the insect too...but never had any proof of it.
You always post such interesting and on point studies. I think these are what I look forward to most any more. I thought the one about the male chameleons following the pheromone trail was quite enlightening. So I just wanted to say thanks. You keep us evolving our concepts of husbandry and keeping.

@Hashtag ChamLife I learn from the things I post and want to post it so others can learn from them too. I can't say that everything I post is a food source of information but I hope people can judge that for themselves.

@Hashtag ChamLife I learn from the things I post and want to post it so others can learn from them too. I can't say that everything I post is a food source of information but I hope people can judge that for themselves.
Well, it has a trickle down effect.... I don't have anywhere near the understand of biology, anatomy and chemistry, etc to understand every bit of it.... but I have referenced info from these posts quite often. I just used some info from you about how they hear... now I know how to talk to my chams... and now they will look at me when I speak in the right tone/frequency.

Lol, it's the little things.

P.s. dont be modest.... not many people out there know how to keep a veiled from needing a lay bin = P

I just do my best...and believe me...I've made lots of mistakes along the way...not only with my chameleons but all the other lizards and turtles, etc I kept. That's all we can do...

Back
Top Bottom