Herbert Sherbert AKA Herbie

Jenni2370

Hello fellow chameleon forumers! I ran across this website doing research for my first veiled chameleon and thought I would join in! I had been wanting a veiled for a while, and my boyfriend got me Herbert Sherbert for christmas (in late January haha)! I believe he is about three months old now, and from what I can tell loving life at home. I would love any input from everybody--seems like there are a lot of experienced chameleon owners around here. Got him in a zilla fresh air screen cage. He has a waterfall, tons of plastic plants, a few vines with intention to get more, two large wood pieces, a feeding cup, and the new monsoon misting system.. I've got a hooded light fixture with two heat lamps to cover the entire cage and a UV light, all of which are on a timer (UV light and one heat bulb turn off for 14 hours/day). I've also been using a feeding dish for his crickets (which I lightly dust with calcium powder daily) and have been feeding him roughly 12-15 crickets/day. So far he seems happy and content, spends the day roaming his cage, night time sleeps in his plastic weed plant hiding out, has a pretty good appetite, and has been drinking beads of water from his plants regularly. I have a few questions for the chameleon community.. Is there a specific age that veiled chameleons start to show their colors? Herbie does really well with holding once I get him out of the cage, but it can be a struggle to get him out. I have been attempting to hold him at least three-five times/week to get him accustomed to human interaction, is this a good or bad idea? He never flares his throat like I have read some do, never hissed, never bitten me, just sometimes struggles to get away as I'm trying to get him out. Right now I have him in the main living room waiting until my boyfriend moves his old salt water aquarium upstairs, do you think it is good for him to have the movement to get him comfortable with some -what of a fast paced household, or should he be more secluded? Anxious to hear responses, let me know if you need more information!

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Dangit!

Ok I have no idea how to get my pictures to show.... HELP! This will probably sound rediculous but where do I get a URL address for my pictures? Or how do I do it?!? Hahah ahhhhh!

Jenni

Umm the easiest way would go to "reply post" then scroll down to "additional options" under the smlies then "manage attachments" then find your pictures and upload them :) I think u can only do like 4 or 5 at a time tho

Welcome-you have found the perfect site to make sure you chameleon lives a healthy life. A few suggestions I have right off the bat without seeing the pictures are to remove the waterfall. They are bacteria havens and impossible to keep clean. Live plants are the way to go-many inclduing myself will use a combination of fake and live, but the live plants really maintain your humidity. Temperatures are extremely important in chameleon keeping-hopefully you have a digital thermometer. UVB light is also crucial-do you know what kind you have? I think you are overhandling-chameleons are territorial and solitary creatures that you don't want in a high traffic area. Yours may or may not remain "handleable". Usually they will go through a teenage phase where they get quite aggressive and stay that way. It is not usually possibible to handle them to make them handleable. They are what they are. You can cause them a great deal of stress and not realize it.
This is the form that people use to ask for help and it is very good to check husbandry so members can make suggestions as to what needs to be tweaked. Brand names of items and pictures are extremely helpful.
Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Back
Top Bottom