Hemipenis Prolapse and Amputation

Hanging outside all day today while I does yardwork. 78 degrees, breezy… uvi gradient of 1-5uvi in his run at noon. What a perfect day. Hope some sunshine makes him feel as good as it makes me feel! Its also super important as I do not have uvb on the freerange he is living on during recovery. We are outside twice a day for sun and showers.

Waiting on the med tape to arrive this afternoon. Hope the sun makes him poop, so I know I can bandage him w/o worry.

CCD721C9-C851-48C0-9975-0DF2D4E56641.jpeg

Perfectly sums up Donnie when its time to clean up his wound.

EB777B04-76EB-4846-9C80-DCA6605C2C1A.jpeg

Not sure what to think. Day 5 of meds, still see a lot of pale yellow around his vent, but less redness and swelling, so I hope the meds are working.

Today I stopped the peroxide and switched to just rinsing the area with diluted dawn and thoroughly rinsing. Down to silver cream 1x a day for the next 10 days. 5 more days of Baytril.

Donnie seems kinda blah. Not super active today or yesterday, but alert, eating and drinking.

2 more doses of Baytril to go, and about a week of SS cream 1x a day. Finally starting to see some marked improvement in the area.

A1593FBD-62F5-47D8-B967-4BFF0FD9B1FA.jpeg
FF08D1CB-1E9A-46D7-947E-1DC397693180.jpeg

Donnie is hard to read. Since adding the ladder, he “sploots” a lot and lays on his belly to let his limbs dangle. When I approach he hops up like personal fitness trainer! He is very active outside, and his appetite is voracious. He has a “go gettum” attitude and a lot of pep when he wants to. So I think he is feeling better, but just enjoys a good sploot now and then. I, too, love a good sploot.
04A07D81-C419-4C09-86B7-9014119C3F69.jpeg

Last night was pretty comical. He was basking, and I guess his cream was chilly. I put it on and he popped up and started scratching his butt (quite accurately) with his hind legs, and arching his back. I cant imagine it was a pain response, but very similar to the “applying cold sunscreen to the lower back” medical reaction.

F5A21767-B544-4ABA-A49C-A5754447C19E.jpeg

About 1.5 months from prolapse, and 2 weeks since second vet visit / baytril / silver sulf treatment. Getting closer to normal every day. His butt is still a bit puffy, and he is shedding scabs regularly, but it looks like he is finally healing. Eating, drinking, and pooping normally. Meds are finished.

This has definitely been hard on my old man, but he is hanging in there. He has slowed down a lot over the past 2 months, but that is to be expected with surgery and infection, etc. Hopefully he gets his youthful energy back soon. I think he misses his meds… or at least the silkworm dessert that came with it!

56E8A50A-5E59-429F-862B-E24A13689F68.jpeg BBE63C10-71FF-4005-9E08-153DAC9B02ED.jpeg A240BF28-48E5-43D0-89F5-1CED71EB95A5.jpeg

I want to thank you for sharimg this journey in such detail and with great pics. I am so happy that this long road to recovery is sucessful. He is so handsome and such a trooper! And bravo to you! You have done an amazing job on saving him! I want to mention one thing, most elastic medical wrap is not waterproof and needs to be removed before showers. you can reuse it as long as you put sterile new guaze pad on a wound with each change.

I want to thank you for sharimg this journey in such detail and with great pics. I am so happy that this long road to recovery is sucessful. He is so handsome and such a trooper! And bravo to you! You have done an amazing job on saving him! I want to mention one thing, most elastic medical wrap is not waterproof and needs to be removed before showers. you can reuse it as long as you put sterile new guaze pad on a wound with each change.

Thank you! I only used the elastic for a day or two - and removed it for part of the day (including showers). Wish I found it sooner, as we really needed it the first week!

He is doing pretty well. He turns 6 next month! His vent is nearly back to normal, but the ordeal has taken a toll on him, for sure. Still an active eater and alert, but not nearly as active. He used to patrol the area dutifully, but now he prefers hiding in the foliage, unless he is outside. We do try to spend an hour per day, minimum, outside. Today it was very rainy, so he got to spend the entire morning gulping up the good stuff!

90ED472A-A421-4A8F-B2F5-935C3FAFE54C.jpeg 1858AEAF-3D03-46F8-AE89-85335133B3EF.jpeg

Thank you! I only used the elastic for a day or two - and removed it for part of the day (including showers). Wish I found it sooner, as we really needed it the first week!

He is doing pretty well. He turns 6 next month! His vent is nearly back to normal, but the ordeal has taken a toll on him, for sure. Still an active eater and alert, but not nearly as active. He used to patrol the area dutifully, but now he prefers hiding in the foliage, unless he is outside. We do try to spend an hour per day, minimum, outside. Today it was very rainy, so he got to spend the entire morning gulping up the good stuff!

View attachment 328620View attachment 328621
I love his face! Poor guy has been thru a lot, but still looks sweet. Lots of yummy silkworms for him! 🥰

Hangin’ in there - literally! Donnie’s doing ok. His vent is still peeling and shedding tissue, but almost back to normal. Secondary or lingering infection are still a concern, though. He is definitely a bit more frail and clumsy - but he puts it in 4WD for food and outside time! We’ve (mostly) finished our outside ranges, so he has been spending the past week outside for 12 hrs a day.

7ABFC829-4365-4C66-B9CC-216B88C86D53.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom