helppppp! asap

abidahreptiles

im a new mommy and while im sure there a post or something on this i not sure i have time looking for it hours on end

i just walk into my Chameleon and saw little foot did not look so well so i took him out and omg .. what is wrong?

he would not even wake up! and when i want to put him back down he actted like he was wake and i think he about fall, is there something i can do now for him .. it late at night so no vet will be open .. i try oftering him a dusted super mealworm but he would not wake up for it

also could it be because our Humidifier not working so well ... we just got it this month but it sound like the motor is burning out and it stop working after a hour of being turn on .. we been misting the cage

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 187
Looks like an infection if hes not able to support himself just make him comfortable on the bottom of his cage. A vet visit is crucial at this point... Usually vets have an emergency contact # so I would try that asap.

Please fill this out after you see if you can get an emergency appt. Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

the problem is we live in the middle of nowhere it would even take a hour to drive to the next town over but thank you i will let my other half know

He has a mouth infection. Jackson's are prone to them in that area. You have to get him to a vet in order to save him. If you leave it untreated, he is not going to make it. I hate to say, but he already looks in pretty bad shape. How long has his mouth been like that?

Ditto what Carol said. You can't treat that at home, so a vet visit is a must ASAP. Unfortunately with small animals, one of their only defenses is to not look sick, so by the time they are symptomatic, the infection might be very far along.

My Jackson's just recently recovered from a mouth infection. The vet cleaned out the pus and put him on a round of antibiotics, and after about a week, the swelling went down and happily has stayed down. There was a follow up visit after a month to make sure three injection was cleared.

While you're at the vet, take fresh droppings with you in a baggie (no more than a day old and keep them in the fridge) so the vet can check for parasites too.

i just notice it today .. all of his Crickets that we put in his cage on sat.day are gone .. i did try to take him out and give him water but he refuse to open his mouth

sadly we had to use the money we put aside for me to go to the er 2 this month so we unable to get him to the vet, it suck and i problemly a bad mommy but stuff happens " sighs "

It is mouth rough it happens when you feed them to big of crickets because the crickets feet scrape there mouth and it gets infected and they call it mouth rough. The person that I got my Jacksons from had a few get it and you need to get him to the vet and get medicine from the vet really really fast!!

i just notice it today .. all of his Crickets that we put in his cage on sat.day are gone .. i did try to take him out and give him water but he refuse to open his mouth

sadly we had to use the money we put aside for me to go to the er 2 this month so we unable to get him to the vet, it suck and i problemly a bad mommy but stuff happens " sighs "

I'm sorry but I agree he's in very bad shape at this point. These infections can be difficult to treat but it's possible he has other health problems going on top of it.

It is always important to consider how far you'd have to go to find a vet for an exotic pet like this, and whether you would have the money to pay for treatment before buying one. Without vet treatment he's not going to make it unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that, he looks a little dehydrated too. A vet visit is your best bet. A swelling that large doesnt happen overnight. It is an infection, maybe some Neosporin might help until you see the vet. Apply with a Q-tip or use some Nolvasan...most people dont have that though...

Its much cheaper online than buying from a vet: http://www.amazon.com/Fort-Dodge-Nolvasan-Solution-Gallon/dp/B0002XJ178

Still, get to a vet ASAP for an abscess drain if needed and and infection cleanse.

Good luck OP, hope he makes it.

''stuff happens'' isn't the way this should be looked at.
if you are an adult you should have taken precautions.
a life is a life regardless of the species. would stuff happens be the way you looked at it if you were a real mother? i'll always have money put aside for my cham no matter what. if i could i'd shrink myself down to give him a hug.

''stuff happens'' isn't the way this should be looked at.
if you are an adult you should have taken precautions.
a life is a life regardless of the species. would stuff happens be the way you looked at it if you were a real mother? i'll always have money put aside for my cham no matter what. if i could i'd shrink myself down to give him a hug.

Hey now. She said that she had money put aside for chameleon emergencies but had to use it for 2 trips to the ER for herself. I'm sure she wasn't planning on using that money to go to the ER herself. We all have unexpected things happen that we have no control over so being rude isn't called for.

Now, abidahreptiles....You may want to try giving a reptile vet in your area a call. They may be able to work out a payment plan with you or know of a rescue that could take your baby if you can't afford to get him treated. I hope everything works out for you and your cham. Please keep us updated...

try to work out a payment plan with a vet,
or try to find someone to give the chameleon to who can properly look after it.

Without immediate help, he is going to die, and Im sure you dont want to be responsible for a cruel and unnecessary death.

Hey now. She said that she had money put aside for chameleon emergencies but had to use it for 2 trips to the ER for herself. I'm sure she wasn't planning on using that money to go to the ER herself. We all have unexpected things happen that we have no control over so being rude isn't called for.

Now, abidahreptiles....You may want to try giving a reptile vet in your area a call. They may be able to work out a payment plan with you or know of a rescue that could take your baby if you can't afford to get him treated. I hope everything works out for you and your cham. Please keep us updated...

it can be rationalized anyway you want.
in the end if someone is to get a pet why aren't precautions taken?
there should always be enough for a life you choose to take care of. who are we to take an animal and then not properly be able to take care of it?

it can be rationalized anyway you want.
in the end if someone is to get a pet why aren't precautions taken?
there should always be enough for a life you choose to take care of. who are we to take an animal and then not properly be able to take care of it?

Well, not everyone has an unending supply of money and emergencies happen and that is not something you can control. People that come to this forum and ask for help do not deserve to be treated with no respect. Maybe I'm old school to think that everyone deserves to be treated with respect. the op is trying to find out what she can do for her baby. Maybe giving suggestions about trying to work out a payment plan or find a rescue would be more helpful for them, as well as their chameleon, than a rude comment to their post. We all get in over our heads at one time or another and we have all needed help at some point. Why not try to be helpful. Remember, treat others like you want to be treated..:)

Well, not everyone has an unending supply of money and emergencies happen and that is not something you can control. People that come to this forum and ask for help do not deserve to be treated with no respect. Maybe I'm old school to think that everyone deserves to be treated with respect. the op is trying to find out what she can do for her baby. Maybe giving suggestions about trying to work out a payment plan or find a rescue would be more helpful for them, as well as their chameleon, than a rude comment to their post. We all get in over our heads at one time or another and we have all needed help at some point. Why not try to be helpful. Remember, treat others like you want to be treated..:)

you don't need an unending supply of money.
not at all. you need precautions. no matter what the cost.
they don't have money for a vet bill to save a life but i'm sure they won't go hungry for the next month. and i do treat others as i would like to be treated. if i was in op's position i would love a wake up call. that is all that is needed now. i'm not one to argue with. if i make a statement it will be backed up. if you take a look at the threads I've made there are 105. all questions to ensure the safety of my cham. not one of them asks ''should i be ready in case my cham has to go to the vet?''.

Time out. We all agree with your thought process, Whysoez420, but I believe every party here wants what is absolutely best for their chams.

In my short time on this forum, I have seen many posts created by owners who are never going to own up to the level of responsibility bringing a pet into your home should so obviously require. Based on the posting history of abidahreptiles, I do believe she knows how to be a responsible owner and sincerely wants what is best for her herp family. I also know that she has been fighting a protracted illness or injury. While there have been a number of attention seeking posts lately, I truly do not believe this is the case here.

The hard reality of life is that sh!t happens. All the time. And sometimes, you have to choose between two bad decisions. I'm not a kind person by nature, so if you knew me and saw me write this, you would be surprised. I react much more like you and completely agree with your intentions. In this case, it's the approach that is a little off.

Abidahreptiles, you should absolutely reach out to a vet about about a payment plan. If they say no, send me a PM and we will work something out. I am sincere about that.

Time out. We all agree with your thought process, Whysoez420, but I believe every party here wants what is absolutely best for their chams.

In my short time on this forum, I have seen many posts created by owners who are never going to own up to the level of responsibility bringing a pet into your home should so obviously require. Based on the posting history of abidahreptiles, I do believe she knows how to be a responsible owner and sincerely wants what is best for her herp family. I also know that she has been fighting a protracted illness or injury. While there have been a number of attention seeking posts lately, I truly do not believe this is the case here.

The hard reality of life is that sh!t happens. All the time. And sometimes, you have to choose between two bad decisions. I'm not a kind person by nature, so if you knew me and saw me write this, you would be surprised. I react much more like you and completely agree with your intentions. In this case, it's the approach that is a little off.

Abidahreptiles, you should absolutely reach out to a vet about about a payment plan. If they say no, send me a PM and we will work something out. I am sincere about that.

i hear you, trust me. my life in the past was built around sh!t happens.
because that's alot of what i got. as i sympathize which what you said about her because that is very unfortunate and sad. we as humans have noone to take care of us but ourselves in reality. a cham can not in no way do what needs to be done to save him. so someone has to step up and do it. i know for a fact something can be done. that is my point. i highly respect that you are willing to help out.

i hear you, trust me... i highly respect that you are willing to help out.

I hear ya. We've all been there at some point, and if we haven't, we will be some day. I completely agree with you that we are wholly responsible for the tiny lives we bring into our homes, and I get the sense that the OP feels that too. Otherwise, I wouldn't have spoken up

I would be heart broken to be in a similar position. It's not a major hardship to me, so I don't mind. I consider it a credit towards karma for the next time I am rude to someone.

Theres no real reason to argue about this . The advice has been said , take it to a vet asap .

Its hard for animal lovers / cham lovers too see pictures like that and hear that the poor thing wont go to the vet because of a money situation

Some people would run into a burning house to save their cat , dog or cham . Others put down their animal cause the vet bill would be too big to save a animal .

I guess its up to each one of us where to draw the line .

Back
Top Bottom