Help

atree50

I Have A Chaneleon That Is Just A Few Months Old And He Keeps Grabbing His Own Legs And Falling Off Of Everything I Try To Use In His Cage, Is This Normal Or Is There Something Wrong With Him?

Last edited:
Hi,

Can you post some pictures of your animal and cage? It's easier to see what's wrong instead of describing the problem because there can be many causes ;)

I agree, pictures are great. A solid description of your setup and your chameleon would also be invaluable.

From Brad's "How to ask for help" sticky in the health forum:

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?
  • Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?
  • Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.
Pictures can really help as well.

In my experience, chameleons do this "grabbing your own leg" thing when there is a calcium problem. Does it show any signs of MBD? (Crooked arms/legs or what looks like an extra elbow above the real one...or a soft, pliable, rubbery jaw, a bendable casque, and tongue dysfunction.....or inability to get up on its legs and lift its body off the ground (called lack of "truncal lifting")....or a gradual decline in appetite, weight loss, lethargy, paralysis, seizures?)

If you take it to a vet the vet can run tests and tell you if this is what the problem is.

Back
Top Bottom