Help!!

miker

Just got a little girl Veil on Wed and can't get her to eat!! Is there any way to get her to? How long does she have before I take her back to Debbie at Cindys in Vero Beach?

It is normal that chameleons don't eat when taken to the new home. If she is well-fed she can go without food for even a week.
Calyptratuses usually don't have problems with food so I think she will start eating soon...

How old is she?
What are you trying to feed her?
Is she drinking?
What is the temp in the cage?

And fill out the form that was linked.

She's about 3 mo and been trying small crickets,she in in a plant in my east window that gets direct sun light Don't know if she's drinking cause she is so affraid of me!

Please fill out the Ask For Help. You said she's in a window. UV can not pass through glass. Do you have a UVB blub? If so what kind? It is coil?

I don't have any light yet and she was really stressed in her cage that is mesh so I put her in a plant to try to calm her down but its not working!

You need to let her adjust to her new surroundings. She needs to be in her properly set up cage with no handling until you notice her eating. She needs a UVB light and a basking light to help her properly digest food. If she is too cool, she will not eat.

Chameleons can be a difficult animal to keep. To survive she must have a UVB light and the proper dusting supplements. Below is a link with some good info to get you started. Shortly I will attach links for the UV blub you need and the supplements.
http://raisingkittytheveiledchamele...-max=2008-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=11

You need the 1st, 3rd and 5th
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/vitamins-medicines-and-cage-cleaners/

This is the UVB bulb you need. You can buy a fixture at Walmart or Home Depot.
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...por-bulbs/-/zoo-med-18-repti-sun-50-uvb-bulb/

Last edited:
Thank all of you trying to help me and I am leaving now to the pet shop to get all the things she needs to be healthy and I'll be happy!!:confused:

Thanks!!

Ran down to the pet shop and got a light and a small ficus-benjamina and put her in her cage so time will tell!! Should I put some crickets in with her?

I would put just 2 or 3 crickets in with her. If she does not eat them you need to take them back out at night. They can eat on your cham while they sleep.

What kind of a light did you get? Most pet store do not have the Repti Sun 5.0 and that's the only UVB recommended for chameleons. It would be a good idea to take her, in her cage, outside for some natural UVB when it's not to hot. They get UVB even in the shade. I wouldn't put her in the direct sun.

I got a repti glo 5.0 and will put a couple crickets in with her THANKS!!!

Did you get a long linear tube-the complact coiled kind cause eye issues. You also need a basking light-this is easily done with a clamp lamp and a regular 40-60W bulb. You need a basking spot of about 80 degrees so sge can digest food.

Sounds like your kind of rushing around trying to play catch up. Chameleons take a lot of specialized care and researching the species you plan to keep will help avoid problems like this. Hinds sight is 20/20 though..

For now, the repti glo 5.0 is not sufficient for your chameleon. You need a reptisun 5.0. I recommend this site as the price and service is great with them: http://www.petmountain.com/product/r...-uvb-bulb.html.

You need a screened enclosure 18X18X36.

You need a basking light. Reg 40 watt house bulb is probably fine with a metal fixture.

You need calcium w/out D3...reptical
you need vitamins...reptivite/herptivite

You need to mist her about 3 times a day so she can get enough water.

You need to provide her with plenty of hiding area/alone time and give her time to acclimate. She needs 12 hours of light a day, so keep the reptisun and basking light going for that amount of time.

Yes I got the coil type and will get a tube asap, also I live in a regular temp of 75+ so I was told that I don't need a basking light but will get on for the fall coming up! I will reserch more so I can be a sucessful Dad. I'll work on things

THANKS!!

Yes I got the coil type and will get a tube asap, also I live in a regular temp of 75+ so I was told that I don't need a basking light but will get on for the fall coming up! I will reserch more so I can be a sucessful Dad. I'll work on things

THANKS!!

I live in Florida too, and all of my inside chameleons have a heat lamp. THe coil light is bad-I would not even turn it on.

I will disagree with the Reptiglo tube light not being enough, I think the Reptisun is better, but the Reptiglo flourescent tubes will work fine with more frequent replacement.

This baby is only 3 months old. I have never used a basking light with Camille I got her when she was 5 months old. I keep her hottest temp at 80 to 81. I follow the Raising Kitty the female veiled. Here's the part about the temps and basking light:

I have double fluorescent hoods over the cages. (in my case over the trees since I free range) Each hood houses a tube/linear Repti-sun 5.0 and a regular white fluorescent tube light. This maintains the temperature in the low 80's at the warmest end of the cage. You can see the setup in my article in the e-zine: A Babies first weeks. The shelves can be moved forward more than is shown in the pictures in the article to allow for more of a gradient in temperatures and more air flow as well.
Most of what is in this article is still current but I have made a couple of changes.

I maintain the same lighting and temperature range when the females are moved to their adult cages. I do not use a basking light, but continue with a double fluorescent hood keeping temperatures in the low eighties. The cages are of various sizes, but the smallest is 24" tall x 24" wide x 18" deep.

Yes I went to the reptisun floresent and can get one tomorrow atleast 24 in long as long as my cage and can use a 40w for the heat lamp and my cage is wire and the bottom is a 20 gal tank so I thank you all again for your help!!!

THANKS!!

Oh your just down the coast from me, so outdoor time would be the best scenario for your cham. Mine our housed outdoors for all but a couple months here in Florida (Usually Jan and Feb). No uvb bulb or heat source is gonna beat our great Florida sun!

Good luck with you cham!

Back
Top Bottom