Help!!

Shoki

My room has a temperature of 60 degrees and even lower at night. I have a 1yol veiled chameleon and I’m worried he’s not staying warm enough. I can’t move him to another room or turn my ac off/set it higher. His enclosure is a pretty small screen enclosure (temporary). I already use a 75watt bulb. Basking spot is about 80-85. What should I do?

Just so we’re clear: your daytime temps at basking are low to mid 80’s and your nightime temps drop below 60? If that’s the case, don’t change anything. I know it sounds cold for your Cham, but veileds are fine with nightime temps in the 50s.

Just so we’re clear: your daytime temps at basking are low to mid 80’s and your nightime temps drop below 60? If that’s the case, don’t change anything. I know it sounds cold for your Cham, but veileds are fine with nightime temps in the 50s.
I have his basking branch up a little higher since the room during the day is always so cold. Daytime temps have an average of like 60-64. Nighttime drops below 60.

I have his basking branch up a little higher since the room during the day is always so cold. Daytime temps have an average of like 60-64. Nighttime drops below 60.
That’s a pretty cool ambient for daytime temps. Are you screen/glass/hybrid?

Screen. I cannot change my room temperature to anything warmer. I can move him to a warmer spot in the room. I do have a closet; I haven’t relocated him into the closet bc I’m worried about the air flow

Close off two or three sides of the enclosure, and a weak basking bulb will be lots to get the top third of the cage to the right temps. Use a probe thermostat on your heat bulb.

What should I use to close it off? Cardboard? If I close multiple sides, do I just remove the cover of one side if the temp gets too high? Also, is it in my best interest to make a hybrid enclosure rather than full screen?

Lots of options. Coroplast has a decent r value, and looks good. Honestly, I’d get a cheap thermostat switch with a probe. Zip tie the probe somewhere in the top portion of the enclosure, set it to 78, and plug your heat lamp into it. It’ll only come on when the temp drops below 78, and will shut off when it goes above it.
VIVOSUN Digital Seedling Heat Mat Thermostat Controller 40-108℉ https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015F4VFGI...t_i_MYJ007YZWCGR2K6BDTTJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

What should I use to close it off? Cardboard? If I close multiple sides, do I just remove the cover of one side if the temp gets too high? Also, is it in my best interest to make a hybrid enclosure rather than full screen?
I'd strongly consider a hybrid enclosure when you get the larger one, and probably the sooner the better. Babies/young chams do fine in large adult-size enclosures, and hybrid enclosures are much easier to control microclimates in.

Hi @Kaizen is the product you recommend suitable for heat lights. As it is coming up heat mats ? Heat lights are more associated with dimmable/ pulse thermos. Sorry if I have got something wrong

Hi @Shoki did you fill out a husbandry form when you joined the forum as this is a great way for members to give the best advice

Hi @Shoki if your basking area is hitting the correct temperature and the rest of your enclosure is cool you are creating a good gradient. What are your humidity levels during the day . DO NOT USE AN ON/ OFF THERMOSTAT. these are meant for heat mats/ cables and ceramic heat emitters not heat light bulbs. If you have not filled out a husbandry form I would strongly recommend doing so before making any changes 😉

Hi @Kaizen is the product you recommend suitable for heat lights. As it is coming up heat mats ? Heat lights are more associated with dimmable/ pulse thermos. Sorry if I have got something wrong
I’ve used them for ceramic heaters, halogens and incandescent bulbs, even misters, without issue. As long as the wattage doesn’t exceed that of the thermostatic switch, it should be all good.

But would it not turn the light on/ off which imo if this is correct be confusing to a cham ? ( yes in the wild there would be bright / clouded periods throughout the day ) just from my experience when my chams heat light goes off she knows it is starting to get late and goes yo find her sleeping space.

Back
Top Bottom