HELP

Also i dont mind touching worms because I know they dont bite but when it comes to crickets im just scared theyll jump out of my hands especially since they gave me way more than i ordered

I do have everything i need for her and i will wait on picking her up so that i can get everything perfect i did here that about females and i have looked into it and done quite a lot of research on everything needed and i do have SOME experience with chameleons i help my friend care for hers and she is here to help me set it up as well
I agree with @Beman on this. Many of us jumped right in and made many mistakes that it’s a wonder that our chameleons didn’t die...and for too many, they weren’t as fortunate. We want you to get the very best start so that you don’t risk any heartbreak.
We humans tend to minimize the effects of stress as we deal with it all the time. For chameleons, it can be deadly though. There will be stress of coming to a new home and then if you are needing to adjust things, that will be adding to that stress. So, get everything set up perfectly and then bring your chameleon home.

I agree with @Beman on this. Many of us jumped right in and made many mistakes that it’s a wonder that our chameleons didn’t die...and for too many, they weren’t as fortunate. We want you to get the very best start so that you don’t risk any heartbreak.
We humans tend to minimize the effects of stress as we deal with it all the time. For chameleons, it can be deadly though. There will be stress of coming to a new home and then if you are needing to adjust things, that will be adding to that stress. So, get everything set up perfectly and then bring your chameleon home.
okay i agree now.... anything you think i should know? :)

okay i agree now.... anything you think i should know? :)
Make sure to read thru all of the chameleon academy modules and that will pretty much cover all of the basics and give you a better understanding of why things need to be a certain way. We can tell you, ‘do this’, but it isn’t always one size fits all. Knowing the why helps to better adjust things to suit your unique conditions.

i HAVE 500 silkworms and 250 crickets? 😬
Oh my! o_O Well, silkworms are my favorite of all the buggies and crickets are my least favorite. You will be having to buy some extra chow mix powder for the silkies. They are really sweet in my opinion. Very soft and gentle, don’t bite, move rather slow and cocoon and become gorgeous little moths that only want to make more silkworms. This may help you. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/posting-my-silkworm-experience.168402/
For that many crickets, I’d say get a big Rubbermaid type tote and add some ventilation (cut sections out and glue in some screening). The fumes of their own gas and poop tends to kill them so ventilation is key. They will bite your cham if you just set them loose in cham enclosure and cham doesn’t eat them all. To prevent that, leave a bit of cricket food (piece of carrot will do) in your enclosure.

Oh my! o_O Well, silkworms are my favorite of all the buggies and crickets are my least favorite. You will be having to buy some extra chow mix powder for the silkies. They are really sweet in my opinion. Very soft and gentle, don’t bite, move rather slow and cocoon and become gorgeous little moths that only want to make more silkworms. This may help you. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/posting-my-silkworm-experience.168402/
For that many crickets, I’d say get a big Rubbermaid type tote and add some ventilation (cut sections out and glue in some screening). The fumes of their own gas and poop tends to kill them so ventilation is key. They will bite your cham if you just set them loose in cham enclosure and cham doesn’t eat them all. To prevent that, leave a bit of cricket food (piece of carrot will do) in your enclosure.
okay thank you so much for the silks what should i keep them in?

okay thank you so much for the silks what should i keep them in?
That is going to be a bit of a challenge since there’s so many of them. I keep mine usually in plastic shoe type totes with ventilated lids. I currently have at least 400 baby silks right now and will probably either split them into groups of about 50-60 in separate shoe totes or use a large shallow plastic tote...or both. I also use paper towel on the bottom to collect their frass (poo) which I change out every day or other day and pieces of gutter guard for the worms and their chow to stay above and out of the frass. Here’s a pic of how I currently have some adults.
890308D5-3DCA-4721-B1DA-0605ABD87304.jpeg

That is going to be a bit of a challenge since there’s so many of them. I keep mine usually in plastic shoe type totes with ventilated lids. I currently have at least 400 baby silks right now and will probably either split them into groups of about 50-60 in separate shoe totes or use a large shallow plastic tote...or both. I also use paper towel on the bottom to collect their frass (poo) which I change out every day or other day and pieces of gutter guard for the worms and their chow to stay above and out of the frass. Here’s a pic of how I currently have some adults.
View attachment 297516
okay great thanks ill try that out :)

yes i have the enclosure coming in today and im setting it up as soon as i get it and i will make sure to take everyones advice for temps humidity and lighting and the setup... i wont be getting my chameleon until around 5 today and im expecting the enclosure in around 30 minutes :D
Look I know your excited, I did the exact same thing, I wanted to hurry up and get my cham but then I realized how much info there is to learn. I really wouldnt get a chameleon today if you dont even have the enclosure ready yet, anything can happen to where you arent as prepared as you may think. I had a hard time getting my temps right for a few days, I kept switching out bulbs until I finally found the right one. Getting everything in one day isn't a good idea. I dont want to come off rude or anything but maybe just hold off at least a day or two to make sure your enclosure is as perfect as it can be and you know exactly what you're going to do when you get it.

Look I know your excited, I did the exact same thing, I wanted to hurry up and get my cham but then I realized how much info there is to learn. I really wouldnt get a chameleon today if you dont even have the enclosure ready yet, anything can happen to where you arent as prepared as you may think. I had a hard time getting my temps right for a few days, I kept switching out bulbs until I finally found the right one. Getting everything in one day isn't a good idea. I dont want to come off rude or anything but maybe just hold off at least a day or two to make sure your enclosure us as perfect as it can be and you know exactly what you're going to do when you get it.
great thanks! ill ask them to keep her in holding for a bit longer

I was also wondering how I am going to get the crickets in her enclosure without them jumping everywhere
You aren't. IDK of any feeder that's 100% escape proof, but if you only put as many crix in the feeder at a time as she'll eat, the escapes will be kept to a minimum, and you may be able to recapture & re-deposit them in the feeder.

I buy crickets locally—100 (a weeks worth) at a time—and keep them in a large cricket keeper.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lar...UTa80KHb3aDfMQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1024&bih=636

I use a small container for dusting.
1617304139599.png
I put a small amount of calcium powder (or whatever) in the container, then carefully add some crickets using one of the tubes in the keeper, and cupping my hand over the container to prevent escapes. When a few crickets are in the small container, I slide the lid between the bottom and my hand, snap it on, shake, and dump contents into a feeder run cup in the enclosure.
1617304216544.png

BTW... What species are you getting? I searched the thread for "veiled", "panther", and "Jackson" but none of those terms came up.

FWIW...​

I joined this forum 6 months before getting my chameleon, because despite doing some research, I knew that I didn't know what I didn't know, and wanted—like everyone—to be ready.

I got my enclosure up & running smoothly 1-2 months before my little fellow arrived from the breeder. I've had him almost 4 months now, and things have been going swimmingly; a few minor questions, but no major issues. :)

On getting a chameleon, from the Resources section of this site (a recommended read for quick answers, along with the Archives...

A Healthy Chameleon

Review these features and behaviors to help ensure the chameleon you are interested in is healthy.
  • A healthy chameleon should be active in its environment and standing up rather than laying on its perch.
  • The chameleon should be able to move about the cage with good balance without falling or stumbling.
  • The eyes should be full, open at all times and actively looking all around.
  • The arm and leg bones should all be straight, toes should all be intact and the chameleon should have a strong grip.
  • Skin should have vibrant coloration all over the body and all the spines on the back should be present.
  • Patches of shedding skin are normal if present.
  • The tail should be able to grasp branches and curl up smoothly.
An Unhealthy Chameleon

The symptoms below are possible signs of illness. Unhealthy chameleons should not be purchased except by very experienced owners.
  • Sleeping during the day at all.
  • Sunken or swollen eye turrets.
  • Laying on the bottom of the cage.
  • Legs that are bent, curved, appear to have multiple joints or have swellings at the joints.
  • Wrinkly, crusty or dry skin, bumps, cuts or bruises, or patches of abnormal colored skin.
  • Blood at the mouth, swollen jaw, or jaw that doesn't align properly.
  • A tail that cannot curl or is black at the end.
  • Falling off branches, having a weak grip, stumbling or appearing very clumsy.

Good Luck & Best Wishes! Keeping one of these wonderful creatures is an amazing adventure.

You aren't. IDK of any feeder that's 100% escape proof, but if you only put as many crix in the feeder at a time as she'll eat, the escapes will be kept to a minimum, and you may be able to recapture & re-deposit them in the feeder.

I buy crickets locally—100 (a weeks worth) at a time—and keep them in a large cricket keeper.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lar...UTa80KHb3aDfMQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1024&bih=636

I use a small container for dusting.
I put a small amount of calcium powder (or whatever) in the container, then carefully add some crickets using one of the tubes in the keeper, and cupping my hand over the container to prevent escapes. When a few crickets are in the small container, I slide the lid between the bottom and my hand, snap it on, shake, and dump contents into a feeder run cup in the enclosure.

BTW... What species are you getting? I searched the thread for "veiled", "panther", and "Jackson" but none of those terms came up.

FWIW...​

I joined this forum 6 months before getting my chameleon, because despite doing some research, I knew that I didn't know what I didn't know, and wanted—like everyone—to be ready.

I got my enclosure up & running smoothly 1-2 months before my little fellow arrived from the breeder. I've had him almost 4 months now, and things have been going smoothly; a few minor questions, but no major issues. :)

On getting a chameleon, from the Resources section of this site (a recommended read for quick answers, along with the Archives...

Good Luck & Best Wishes! Keeping one of these wonderful creatures is an amazing adventure.
I am getting a piebald veiled chameleon
Thanks this helps... I'm not that worried about them escaping the enclosure as I am about me taking them out of their shipment box and moving them into a container... and all 100 going all over my bedroom

Also i dont mind touching worms because I know they dont bite but when it comes to crickets im just scared theyll jump out of my hands especially since they gave me way more than i ordered
Hi and welcome don't handle silkworms I can't remember what germs they carry but don't. I always use tongs for my feeders (habistat) is what I personally use . Good luck with your setup. Yeah best to take your time and set all up right before you get your cham ( obviously there will be tweaks but get the right stuff right) im sure if your seller is understanding and know you are a new and ongoing customer should work with you

I am getting a piebald veiled chameleon
Thanks this helps... I'm not that worried about them escaping the enclosure as I am about me taking them out of their shipment box and moving them into a container... and all 100 going all over my bedroom
COOL! :cool:

It's not the enclosure they're likely to escape from; I thought we were talking about keeping them in the feeder cup. If they do escape the feeder cup into the enclosure, your cham may hunt them down; some folks feed that way anyway. Or your cham may not venture that far down into the enclosure (at this age). Mine stays in his "trees" so if I find a loose cricket or 2 (like I did today) I just pick them up and plunk them back in his cup. Within a few minutes... ZOT!...YOINK!...MUNCH, MUNCH, MUNCH...GULP! 😋

Oh, wait... you're concerned about them escaping the bin into your bedroom? Just gotta be careful, I guess. 💩 happens! That's partly why I use the cricket keeper, and I put the keeper into a bin (larger than the crix can jump out of) when adding new crix to the keeper.

People have different systems—different ways of doing things. You'll figure out what'll work best for you. ;)

COOL! :cool:

It's not the enclosure they're likely to escape from; I thought we were talking about keeping them in the feeder cup. If they do escape the feeder cup into the enclosure, your cham may hunt them down; some folks feed that way anyway. Or your cham may not venture that far down into the enclosure (at this age). Mine stays in his "trees" so if I find a loose cricket or 2 (like I did today) I just pick them up and plunk them back in his cup. Within a few minutes... ZOT!...YOINK!...MUNCH, MUNCH, MUNCH...GULP! 😋

Oh, wait... you're concerned about them escaping the bin into your bedroom? Just gotta be careful, I guess. 💩 happens! That's partly why I use the cricket keeper, and I put the keeper into a bin (larger than the crix can jump out of) when adding new crix to the keeper.

People have different systems—different ways of doing things. You'll figure out what'll work best for you. ;)
I guess ur right 💩 does happen lmao! I guess to get them in their bin ill take it all outside so in case any do escape theyre out there and not my room

Back
Top Bottom