HELP

I recently got pressured into getting a chameleon after my parents were being annoyed at me asking for one. I ended up getting what seems to be like a 1 month old female veiled chameleon. Because I was pressured I did not get everything I needed. This includes cage, good, decorations, light, etc. I ended up getting a small 5 inch by 3 or 4 inch pet critter containers. I took leaves and a branch from a guava plant and put it there. I've only had her for 2 days and I'm already nervous. She doesn't eat, she's dehydrated even though I mist her enclosure and make sure water is dripping from the leaves. At this point I don't know what to do. Can someone please help me. She has healthy colors of a bright lime green but the problem is that I can tell she is getting dehydrated because her eyes are going into her sockets slowly but surely. I'm only 15 years old so don't burn me alive if I get any information wrong. Please HELP.

Here are some pictures: IMG_20190627_210225_236.jpg IMG_20190627_210214_382.jpg

It is adorable!!! Please read husbandry requirements for your veiled cham so it can stay alive and thrive!! There is a treasure trove of info on this website!! Good luck!!!

Last edited:
she is amazingly cute! ok so the first thing you need to do is buy a 2x2x4 cage, THIS IS AN EXPENSIVE HOBBY PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH ASAP... if you are not financially prepared to take care of her then you need to give her to a petstore or rescue. listen when I say you are never pressured into doing anything and you should have done your research sooner, if you keep it in this container for as little time as possible it should be fine.
you need a t5ho light bulb and fixture linear, correct supplements, varied feeders and many many hours of work.

I am 16 myself but my chameleon has everything he needs to thrive and is now around 4 years old. I think... he's a rescue not to mention. you must buy this cage asap along with the bulbs. start off with a 5.0 or 6% I suggest arcadia and when she turns 3-4 months old switch to 12% or 10.0 linear. this and the supplements are the MOST crucial part of chameleon keeping.

edit: forage sticks from your backyard like maple or oak, never cedar... buy some cheap plants from lowes or home depot and make sure you are drying or baking or debarking or something to get rid of bugs or anything else, I will send you a pm and talk to you about this through your process

I am 16 myself but my chameleon has everything he needs to thrive and is now around 4 years old. I think... he's a rescue not to mention. you must buy this cage asap along with the bulbs. start off with a 5.0 or 6% I suggest arcadia and when she turns 3-4 months old switch to 12% or 10.0 linear. this and the supplements are the MOST crucial part of chameleon keeping.

edit: forage sticks from your backyard like maple or oak, never cedar... buy some cheap plants from lowes or home depot and make sure you are drying or baking or debarking or something to get rid of bugs or anything else, I will send you a pm and talk to you about this through your process
Thank you. I really appreciate it. After doing a week of research I have a good idea of what I need to buy and luckily I saved my birthday money and have support from my mom and sister. Thank you again

she is amazingly cute! ok so the first thing you need to do is buy a 2x2x4 cage, THIS IS AN EXPENSIVE HOBBY PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH ASAP... if you are not financially prepared to take care of her then you need to give her to a petstore or rescue. listen when I say you are never pressured into doing anything and you should have done your research sooner, if you keep it in this container for as little time as possible it should be fine.
you need a t5ho light bulb and fixture linear, correct supplements, varied feeders and many many hours of work.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was doing research and read that giving a baby such a big cage will cause it to die by multiple causes like difficulty to hunt food like crickets which jump everywhere. And I am financially stable enough thanks to my birthday money and my parents. After one week of research I have a good idea of what I need. And thank you she is pretty cute. But I do wanna know if she looks healthy or not. Thank you

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was doing research and read that giving a baby such a big cage will cause it to die by multiple causes like difficulty to hunt food like crickets which jump everywhere. And I am financially stable enough thanks to my birthday money and my parents. After one week of research I have a good idea of what I need. And thank you she is pretty cute. But I do wanna know if she looks healthy or not. Thank you
no go big or go home, it will be ok, if your worried about eating get a feed cup

Ok hun... Soooo this is not going to be easy. I myself do not have experience with very young chams... I am going to tag in a bunch of people that do. Hopefully they can help walk you through the first steps... Are you feeding her pinsized crickets?

@Brodybreaux25 @Matt Vanilla Gorilla @jannb Can you please help the OP she is 15 and has a very very very young veiled... This is outside my area of knowledge.

No, not with a Cham this young. It’s fine for 3-4mo chams, this one is way too young for a big viv.
really!!! I thought it would have been fine since they seem to hunt perfectly fine, so feeder cup or smaller cage, I don't want the op wasting money on a small cage to transfer to a bigger cage later because they are only 15

I’m going to pay attention to this thread I’d like to hear what these guys have to say on baby chameleon care. Most of the stuff we help with on here are chameleons already old enough for the normal care advice we repetitively give out like Brody said. Probably can learn a few things listening to Matt Jan and Brody on baby care since I literally don’t even know where to begin with a chameleon this young.

Back
Top Bottom