Help

DarthRasta96

So my veiled Cham (male) will not stop climbing the screen. I've posted before before I was just told ideas to feed him more honestly, I need a way to stop him from climbing ASAP because he's broke 3 nails and I just noticed one completely missing today but no blood. Will they grow back? I know to watch for infection but don't really know the signs to look for. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: His cage is 4'Hx2'Wx2'L the sides and back are pvc while the bottom front and top are screen mesh... he also likes to chill at the bottom a lot too, basking temps range from 90-93 lower cage temps drop to mid 70s and I use a digital temp gun

Last edited:
you are COOKING him with those temps! the basking spot for an adult should only be 85 farenheit with a temp drop to about 60ish at night. that's probably why he is chilling at the bottom, he's trying to stay cool. sorry i can't be of more help with why he's climbing the screen, maybe other members will chime in. just try to fix your temps and see if that helps

you are COOKING him with those temps! the basking spot for an adult should only be 85 farenheit with a temp drop to about 60ish at night. that's probably why he is chilling at the bottom, he's trying to stay cool. sorry i can't be of more help with why he's climbing the screen, maybe other members will chime in. just try to fix your temps and see if that helps
I just moved his lights around and it's spot on now thanks. Do you know if his claws will come back?

So my veiled Cham (male) will not stop climbing the screen. I've posted before before I was just told ideas to feed him more honestly, I need a way to stop him from climbing ASAP because he's broke 3 nails and I just noticed one completely missing today but no blood. Will they grow back? I know to watch for infection but don't really know the signs to look for. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: His cage is 4'Hx2'Wx2'L the sides and back are pvc while the bottom front and top are screen mesh... he also likes to chill at the bottom a lot too, basking temps range from 90-93 lower cage temps drop to mid 70s and I use a digital temp gun
Can you post a pic of his enclosure? Mine seems to like his basking spot at low 90s but it's also positioned to where he can go to the high 80s and he hangs out In both spots

Can you post a pic of his enclosure? Mine seems to like his basking spot at low 90s but it's also positioned to where he can go to the high 80s and he hangs out In both spots
I've moved the lights around since this was taken and added another branch up top. I can get another if needed

Attachments

• IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 88
Um, there was a thread about this a few days ago, i'm pretty sure.
Not you, obviously...
but maybe he doesn't have enough room.
2x2x4 should be fine, but you know chams. they're picky as hell.
He also may not have enough branches.... mine's only 8 months old, but he climbs all over the screen. He even has this habit of crashing through one spot of vegetation every morning. :p:love:
I need to upgrade my cage pretty soon, but you can never have too little branches and/or vegetation.
After seeing the picture, he doesn't have enough places to hide. It seems like he's searching for them.

I've moved the lights around since this was taken and added another branch up top. I can get another if needed
My cham also did this. Maybe he wants to come out for a little. When im home i let my chams out for a little. Also id add more plants and coverage where the basking spot is. Dont panic about it sounds normal

Um, there was a thread about this a few days ago, i'm pretty sure.
Not you, obviously...
but maybe he doesn't have enough room.
2x2x4 should be fine, but you know chams. they're picky as hell.
He also may not have enough branches.... mine's only 8 months old, but he climbs all over the screen. He even has this habit of crashing through one spot of vegetation every morning. :p:love:
I need to upgrade my cage pretty soon, but you can never have too little branches and/or vegetation.
After seeing the picture, he doesn't have enough places to hide. It seems like he's searching for them.
Ther s 2 small fake plants up top now, not big decent in trying to think of how to add another real plant up top without having to do too much moving and having him out his cage for too long.

Ther s 2 small fake plants up top now, not big decent in trying to think of how to add another real plant up top without having to do too much moving and having him out his cage for too long.
I would probably also put more branches towards the from and back of the cage, think about how large the cage is and how many possible climbing options he could have! Also maybe putting a pothos plant on one of those ledges for more coverage? How many crickets do you feed him? When my Cham is hungry he walks all around his cage looking. Also if you haven't had him long he could just be exploring his territory.

I would probably also put more branches towards the from and back of the cage, think about how large the cage is and how many possible climbing options he could have! Also maybe putting a pothos plant on one of those ledges for more coverage? How many crickets do you feed him? When my Cham is hungry he walks all around his cage looking. Also if you haven't had him long he could just be exploring his territory.
Yea I just sat and looked at his cage for a minut and have a general idea of where to put them mayb 3-4 more branches. And he gets around 10 crickets daily dusted without d3 and with d3 about twice a month. If I have other feeders I usually offer a few of those in addition to the crickets but he hasn't been eating much lately

The basking is ok in the 90's. Your not going to cook him don't worry! Veilds in Florida are thriving in the wild down here. The Temps are extremely hot in the summer and they survive just fine.

The basking is ok in the 90's. Your not going to cook him don't worry! Veilds in Florida are thriving in the wild down here. The Temps are extremely hot in the summer and they survive just fine.
Yea I'd judged the lighting earlier after the one comment his lower basking branch is mid 80s while while the slightly higher one is almost 90 lower cage drops to 60 now

Back
Top Bottom