Help

Hi guys I am new on here but have been doing a lot of research and keep finding myself back on this website so I decided to join. I will be more then happy to fill out the help questionnaire if I can just be pointed in the right direction. It took my long enough just to figure out how to post something. I have a 2 month old (roughly) male translucent veiled chameleon "Flex". I have had him for 5 days now and as of 2 days ago I have noticed him showing alot of colors and circling his enclosure from top to bottom. This has been happening every evening right about an hour before lights off. The rest of the time he is bright green and looks great. Should I be worried or concerned?? His enclosure is 2x2x3.5 screen with alot of foliage and branches. Pothos plant as well as umbrella plant. Basking spot high 80s maybe 90 and ambient mid 70s. I am also using astandard 60watt bulb for heat and a 5.0 for UVB. He is eating 15 crickets a day and still drinking ( poop looks great lol)I know I will need to post more info to get any help but as mentioned before If I can just get a little help I would reallyappreciate it.

Click on the bug on that says forums...it will take you to a page listing forums. Chose the forum your question/post best suits. On that forum there will be a button saying post new thread...click on that.

if his colors are bright then he is very healthy and happy. if you are in the room a lot and he is colorful then he must enjoy your presence. you should not be worried

if his colors are bright then he is very healthy and happy. if you are in the room a lot and he is colorful then he must enjoy your presence. you should not be worried
I was under the impression that showing bright colors was stress. Also evrytime my hands go in the cage he runs, so I'm not quite sure how much he enjoys my presence just yet lol. I have only had him for 5 days. Much Thanks for the reply though

Hes still settling in to the new enclosure. bright green is usually the chameleons relaxed colors. Youll notice, if you look at him in the middle of the night when hes sleeping, he will have a really bright green color. Give him a few weeks and he'll get to know his cage and where he can hide if he doesn't like you in there. Try to ignore him while cleaning and maintaining the cage and he should start to run less and less.

I was under the impression that showing bright colors was stress. Also evrytime my hands go in the cage he runs, so I'm not quite sure how much he enjoys my presence just yet lol. I have only had him for 5 days. Much Thanks for the reply though

In general, yes, bright colors often mean stress. Baby veileds are very bright green naturally.

Can you post a picture of his set up and the chameleon?

It is normal for chameleons to be afraid of you, especially babies. Eventually some will learn to tolerate you, but not all of them.

That veiled looks to me to be older than two months, but I'm no veiled expert.

One thing that bothered me was the thickness of the eyelids around the aperture to the eye. I worry about shed building up. I might be completely wrong, too. I would suggest you increase the humidity. I see you don't have live plants or a misting system. I cannot imagine being able to keep any chameleon properly in a cage with no drainage and on a table over hardwood floors--you have to be shortchanging the animal of mist and water.

There is a real pothos plant and umbrella plant in there as well as some fake pothos vines. I also use a drip system and mist twice a day. Both mentioned in link to other posting. I will soak up any remaining water dripping into plant tray every night when cleaning up his mess. Not sure on the eyelid issue as this is the first time I've heard that mentioned.

"One thing that bothered me was the thickness of the eyelids around theaperture to the eye. I worry about shed building up"

Does anyone find this to be an issue with my guy

Back
Top Bottom