Help

Lukie Pookie

Hi, this seems to be my first problem with this chameleon and hopefully it is the last. Today after I got home from school to go check on my chameleon. Usually, I get home around 2:30 and I try to feed my chameleon 6 or 7 more crickets, but something was different today. After about 2 crickets my chameleon starting missing his crickets. He could not aim and fire like he usually does. Then he would fire his tongue about 5 centimetres and swallow his tongue again. He did this continuously and it looked like he was choking. The part of his body nearest his hind legs looked like it was being constricted and he started making some sort of gaping noise. I then put him on his favourite plant and he won't move, at all.Someone please help. It is extremely painful to watch and my chameleon looks like he is in pain.

If he just started missing out of the blue, then there is probably some type of injury going on. If it were a gradual decline then it it more likely a nutritional thing although dehydration can cause them to not use their tongue properly from what I have learned. Can you post a few pics please?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Blue bar ambilobe chameleon is approximately 5 months old and male. Been in my care since april 2013.
Handling - I handle him every day after school to feed him a second round of crickets.
Feeding - I feed my chameleon crickets as a "staple". I feed him 20 plus crickets every day and every week when I buy crickets I buy either mealworms, superworms, hornworms, or silkworms. I usually buy one for every day of the week.
Supplements - I use repcal without d3 and phosphorous everyday and Flukers calcium with d3 without phosphorous 2 days a month.
Watering - I use a reptirain to mist his cage when I am gone at school. It mists his cage for about 30 seconds every 3 hours. Then I turn it off when I get home and hand mist his cage whenever it is dry.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - Not tested yet.
History - This is the first time my chameleon has never been able to use his tongue. He has also never gaped before, ever.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - 18x18x36 glass
Lighting - I have a uva/uvb bulb for lighting. Lights go on and off at 6:30
Temperature - Temperature is about 80 at the bottom and about 90 at the basking spot. Night temps reach 65-70
Humidity - Humidity rests at 40-50 and then about 60-80 right after misting.
Plants - No live plants.
Placement - My chameleon is in the basement. It really isn't a high traffic area. No one consistently hangs in the basement in sight of my chameleon.
Located in Niagara on the Lake Ontario Canada.

Thanks. Ill try to get some pics of this up soon, maybe a video of him in the act of trying to shoot at something. Although, I don't know if making him shoot his tongue is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom