Help!!

nataliejayne22

Hi, I`ve just rescued a young male yemen chameleon, (1-2 years old) and he seems to have a lot of problems. Firstly on each side he has white patches of skin with dark patches in the middle. I`ve been told this could be scale rot or just unshedded skin thats turned nasty. Along his spines on his back it is all crusty and looks horrible. I`m not too sure what to do with him as I`ve never had a chameleon before and I believe he`s been suffering with these problems since christmas. I`ve also been told that they`ve never dusted his live food with calcium and he`s never been given any greens to eat. He`s eating locusts and seems happy enough but he looks underweight. Do you think I shold take him straight to a vet or is there anything that i can buy from a shop that could help? Thank you, Natalie :)

The crusties might come off with a few days of warms baths\showers. Ive even used olive oil on problem areas.

He doesnt need greens but you could introduce him to some fruits and greens to see if they catch his eye.

I would have a vet visit in the next 2 weeks for a checkup and fecal exam for parasites.

Thank you. Ive given him a bit of apple and he seemed to like it. I`ll try him in a bath later on and see how that goes. Ive read that you shouldn`t handle them but he steps on to my hand and seems to like being out walking around. He`s a lovely bright green colour but the patches are not nice. :(

Handling is a case by case basis. Some chams get stressed with too much movement in the room and the hand in the cage and being handled. Others love hand rides to the outdoor cages and will walk over the food item you have to crawl on your hand.

Welcome to the Chameleon forums! This is a great place to learn about chameleons.

Nightanole gave you some good advice. If you could post some pictures of him the members here could see if it looks like he might have other issues too. Filling out our ask for help form would be helpful also.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Since this is your first chameleon I'm attaching my blog for new keeper for the way I successfully keep veileds.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

More great info can be found here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Hi again. I`ve bathed him and rubbed a bit of olive oil on his patches of skin and all the white skin has come off but the black hasn`t shifted at all. I live in Blackpool, England, and we have a great reptile shop, called the reptile room, and i believe my chameleon was actually bought from there. I think I will take some photos and show them and see if they can help. He`s very underweight, but since being with me he`s started eating and he`s quite relaxed. I`m mostly concerned with his spikes along his spine. They look dead and rotten. At the top near his head there is actually a large gap between his spikes and spine, but the skin underneath looks ok. He has a large mesh enclosure, with a large basking light and a uv tube. I`ve been told his setup is fine for him and he has plenty to climb on. But he has fake plants in there, do you think i should put real ones in? Thanks very much for all your help and advice, I`ve only had a gecko and beardy before and he`s quite alot harder :)

Back
Top Bottom