Help!

MollyRose

My husband i are both very interested in owning one chameleon for each of us. We do not have any past experience with owning/taking care of reptiles, but we've educated ourselves well on how to, and know that we can. I'd like some perspective from those who have had, or currently do own a chameleon(s).
-Which breed of chameleon stays relatively small, but does change colors? (Bright, apparent colors).
-What breed is best for first time chameleon owners?

Please give me some insight on this subject ASAP!
Thank you!
-m & b.

JohnDoe posted a good link.
Chams are rather high-maintenance pets.
The care requirements outlined on the caresheets are non-negotiable in that they need things to be certain ways or else they get sick and die.
There really is no "that's good enough" when it comes to their care.

Chams are typically a hands-off type of pet because they are not social creatures. In the wild they lead solitary lives.
Contrary to popular belief, they do not change color or pattern to mimic their surroundings.
If you look at these caresheets for the Panthers and Veileds you will see what to expect colorwise.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
The Panthers and Veileds are most often--but not always--captive bred.
Captive breeding, if done by a reputable breeder can be good because the cham has had a good start in life without all the physical and psychological stresses that wild caught chams are subjected to.
Male chams can be a better choice since they will not have to bear the burden of laying eggs, which can lead to a shorter life.
Females can lay infertile eggs without ever even seeing a male.
Some of the forum sponsors and some forum members breed chams.
Panthers and Veileds are good choices for first time cham owners and they have relatively long lifespans when cared for properly.
I hope this is the kind of honest info you were seeking.

Thank you both so much! I'll definitely look into what you've said. My husband and i really do appreciate it!

lets start with,
what size is the area youd keep the cage in>

that will tell us what species to recommend.

:)

Hello, welcome to the forum :). At the moment I think the best advice I can give you is to stay on this website and search around. Get whichever species of cham that you like best (and feel comfortable taking on :)).....
And start thinking about keeping several kinds of insects.....and feeding them better quality food than you feed yourselves......:D

Do you guys have any thoughts on Peacock chameleons? They stay small, have great color, and prefer slightly cooler temps...which is good.

I'd be willing to get whatever kind of size tank/cage/environment that suits the chameleon. I'm going to be ordering him online. I have not chosen a website so far, or settled on one, but i've decided that i am most interested in the peacock chameleon or the dermensis female.

Welcome to the forums! Peacock chameleons are indeed very pretty, but unusual and difficult to find. They are also not what I'd consider a beginner species as they are more fragile and unforgiving. I think a veiled or panther chameleon are the best starter species as long you do the research (chameleons in general are not starter reptiles). Have you gone through the links provided above on general care info?

Peacocks aren't big color changers. I've had one and in the two years it lived it was green. Sometimes it had some blue on it, but essentially it was green. If you want an animal that is going to change colors with different situations, you'll be happier with a carpet.

Back
Top Bottom