Help with UVB bulb on glass enclosure

nick4768

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my panther chameleon's enclosure to a exo terra XL large. I have also bought a new pro T5 UVB bulb. I am having difficulties finding a place for the light. I cannot secure a bracket against the enclosure, as I cannot screw into glass. I also have not been able to find a light unit of that length. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick

I want to. But at present i would just have to lie it on top of the enclosure, and i cant imagine that being safe

That's what I've done for years...UVB going through glass won't do any good for your chameleon...and where in the world do they get light from the side!

Are you worried because it's shorter than the width of the cage?

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my panther chameleon's enclosure to a exo terra XL large. I have also bought a new pro T5 UVB bulb. I am having difficulties finding a place for the light. I cannot secure a bracket against the enclosure, as I cannot screw into glass. I also have not been able to find a light unit of that length. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick
Need some clarification here: is the top of the enclosure glass or screen? If it’s glass, then you’ll need to change that. Uvb won’t pass through glass. If it’s screen, then please take some pics and clarify the problem.

Yes I want the light to be on top of the enclosure. But I don’t want to just rest it on there. I want it to be slightly raised and secured to something (e.g. a bracket)

Attachments

• 4C0FCA54-25D8-4760-A943-9F3C003CEBB9.jpeg
    4C0FCA54-25D8-4760-A943-9F3C003CEBB9.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 137
  • 7B8A5B55-18EA-4EEF-B3AC-8DAAB97F5A93.jpeg
    7B8A5B55-18EA-4EEF-B3AC-8DAAB97F5A93.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 131
Again, glass or screen top, can’t tell from the photos. If screen, just use scissors, a tote bin, and a hot glue gun and get creative

I've got exactly the same setup and havn't had issues. If you really want to raise it, a good old DIY bodge should do the trick.

I've got exactly the same setup and havn't had issues. If you really want to raise it, a good old DIY bodge should do the trick.

Do you literally just rest it on top of the screen? Has it not melted the plastic? Can you send a pic of your set up please?

The UVB shouldnt be hot enough to melt anything, but because my quantum boards needed to be raised I placed my UVB fixture on top of the PVC frame I rigged up. This brings it about an inch off the screen, and 6-8 inches from the basking branches. No melting risks!

The t5 won’t melt the screen

Wont hurt the screen, nope, but ExoTerra screen lids have a plastic cross support that's prone to melting haha! Found it out the hard way, when I had my LED quantum boards directly on it.

Edit: it also depends on what kind of fixture you have, OP. I'm using SunBlaster ballasts, and the bulb protrudes a bit from the reflector.

Back
Top Bottom