HELP WITH THERMAL BURNS!!!! PLEASE!

zyphersmom

Hi, my chameleon had some bad thermal burns but we’ve been treating him with antibiotic ointment and iodine like many forums suggest, but his spines started to peel a couple of days ago and I’m scared idk what to do at this point. If I take him to the vet is there a shot or oral antibiotic?? I believe he has an infection but idk if there is any other way that’s not ointment on the injury. He stopped eating for a week but started eating again and now he stopped again and just now he threw up, what does that mean???? He’s hydrated, we have changed the lightbulb and regulated his time in the sun and inside, he eats crickets and superworms and hornworms from time to time. HELP PLS!
A4932EE4-B1B7-43D7-A66D-FEE3A7399C35.jpeg

Attachments

• F3388237-FE87-4F49-9B8F-87E64F5C1C2C.jpeg
    F3388237-FE87-4F49-9B8F-87E64F5C1C2C.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 110
You need an exotic vet now.... The treatment that is recommended for thermal burns is a cream called silver sulfadiazine cream and you can only get this from a vet. This is the topical treatment that when used from the start will help prevent infection as well as actually treat the burn.

Those are some extremely bad thermal burns and VERY painful for him. More then likely he has an infection now from not having the treatment that he needs.

Make sure you have corrected the basking distance and heat output or he will just burn them again. Temp at basking should be no hotter then 80 at the branch.

Looks like you have fake plants in the cage and vines that are not recommended so for basics in husbandry this is a site that will give you correct and thorough information https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

For help others prevent this, can you explain your setup a little? I'm close to finishing mine and I don't want to put the bulb too close to the highest branch. Also, what type/wattage bulb were you using?
Thanks.

For help others prevent this, can you explain your setup a little? I'm close to finishing mine and I don't want to put the bulb too close to the highest branch. Also, what type/wattage bulb were you using?
Thanks.
Make your own thread so we can help you and answer all your questions! Fill out the husbandry form as well.

Back
Top Bottom