Help with setting up a new cage please

BocaJan

I just got my adult male Arnie a new cage from lllreptile - their 24x24x48. He's gonna love it! It is all put together, but how do you attach things to the screen? I want to add some branches since he likes to be on a branch up high. I was able to support the branches against each other in his smaller cage but this is his "Big Boy" cage and I'm sure he will want to have these things. Also, he is a cup feeder and that needs attaching also.

Thanks in advance.

I use fishing line. Another thing I use in all of my big cages are plant stands to keep the plants up high in the cage and it makes the floor easy to clean and things don't get trapped under the pots.

ties would work great if there was a bent end on the stick, but sticks are generally straight. I know I have seen them in some peoples cages.

Woot! i got ya covered on this one man. I spent hours setting up branches in this exact same enclosure. I have several large branches through out this enclosure, and if it wasn't for all the experiementing and re-arranging I did, there would be no damage to the enclosure at all.

This is best done if have a basic idea of where you want branches to go, and at what angle you want them to sit.

Paper clips! yep its that simple. take the paper clip and straighten it out. wrap one end around the end of the branch. Make sure it is wrapped firmly and that the end is flush with the branch. We don't want anyone getting poked. Bend the remaining end of the clip so that it is either parrellel or perpendicular with the branch end, depending on how you want the branch to sit. Bend the remaining end up, then down so that it sits like a hook above branch. Then litterally hang it where ever you want it. Bend down the ends on the outside of the enclosure if they are sticking out to far and your good to go.

Woot! i got ya covered on this one man. I spent hours setting up branches in this exact same enclosure. I have several large branches through out this enclosure, and if it wasn't for all the experiementing and re-arranging I did, there would be no damage to the enclosure at all.

This is best done if have a basic idea of where you want branches to go, and at what angle you want them to sit.

Paper clips! yep its that simple. take the paper clip and straighten it out. wrap one end around the end of the branch. Make sure it is wrapped firmly and that the end is flush with the branch. We don't want anyone getting poked. Bend the remaining end of the clip so that it is either parrellel or perpendicular with the branch end, depending on how you want the branch to sit. Bend the remaining end up, then down so that it sits like a hook above branch. Then litterally hang it where ever you want it. Bend down the ends on the outside of the enclosure if they are sticking out to far and your good to go.

What a great idea! I never even thought of paperclips!

I have used that idea on several occassions, but the weight of Arnie would cause the branch to actually turn. I found him hanging upside down on a few occassions and actually watched him go over. Poor boy. If all else fails, I will "plant" some y shaped support branches in a pot of soil or in my plant and see if I can tie them together before using the paper clips.

Thicker branches and better tieing of the paperclips should take care of the "twisting" problem. As for tieing branches to branches, I found these strips, which are kind of like twist ties, but they have no metal in them. I wish I knew where I got them.

Anyway, you wrap them around branch intersections and when you twist it together, it kind of binds to itself, it comes of easily but its been great for holding branches together.

I use twist ties but they do cause damage to the cage... i like the paper clip idea!! I'll have to give that a shot next time i set up a cage.

Back
Top Bottom