Help with plants?!

I've used dwarf citrus before. Lovely plants, not dangerous to my knowledge. Watch the thorns! Whenever they pricked me I had an allergic reaction, and I ended up needing to get rid of mine (Meyer's lemon). They don't like being soaked all the time, and may be unhappy if the soil sits too wet (mine started failing after 3 months due to consistently moist soil). They like a drying period, and high light. Probably not a great long term candidate.

Ficus benjamina (weeping fig) is a commonly used chameleon plant. The sap may irriate your skin, so be warned! They prefer moderate to high light, and can be a touch fussy.

I've considered Japanese maple before. Pretty plants! Non toxic, though I'm not sure how well they'd do in a chameleon enclosure long term.

Red rip photinia is an evergreen shrub commonly used for outdoor hedges. Non-toxic, but I don't know how it'd do in an enclosure. Looks like it grows pretty big, pretty fast!

Olive trees (I'm assuming olea europea?) - again, safe but doubtful it'd survive long term. They're a Mediterranean plant, and actually like it a bit on the dry side.

Ferns - that's a very broad category! But I can't think of any that are actually harmful. Boston ferns are very hardy, and provide good foliage cover. Keep an eye on your cham - I've heard stories of some veileds mowing down on the fronds and swallowing huge lengths that may cause issuses

TL;DR: loke @jamest0o0 says, nothing inherently dangerous about any of those plants. But there are some very high lighting requirements for some, or enclosure incompatibilities
Okay thank you so much! I will try to cover the soil so it does not get soaking. I’ll make a good experiment from this I see hahahaha.

Awesome! I got my veiled first and he is the angry kind of chameleon but then I got so hooked on the chameleons hobby/lifestyle/love so I got a panther and that was very hard to do because I live in Serbia. My next plan is to get a parsons chameleon but not in the near future!
cool! i have a male sambava panther a female veiled. here are some photos. Can I see some of yours too?

Attachments

• IMG_3835 2.jpeg
    IMG_3835 2.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3693.jpeg
    IMG_3693.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3670.jpeg
    IMG_3670.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 63
Thank you but there is no much option on the internet to order a plant in Serbia except from big stores and they are expensive as I said and I don’t think any other country in Balkan is exporting plants to us..
Pothos (also known as Devil’s Ivy) has got to be available in Serbia...at least I would think it would. Philodendron is similar and could also work. All dracaena’s are safe. Wandering Jew is another that is good. Prayer plant. The Benjamina ficus is safe. All are common house plants and I would think would be available where you are.

Pothos (also known as Devil’s Ivy) has got to be available in Serbia...at least I would think it would. Philodendron is similar and could also work. All dracaena’s are safe. Wandering Jew is another that is good. Prayer plant. The Benjamina ficus is safe. All are common house plants and I would think would be available where you are.
Yeah it is available here I’m just saying I think I can’t get them online. Thank you!

I've used dwarf citrus before. Lovely plants, not dangerous to my knowledge. Watch the thorns! Whenever they pricked me I had an allergic reaction, and I ended up needing to get rid of mine (Meyer's lemon). They don't like being soaked all the time, and may be unhappy if the soil sits too wet (mine started failing after 3 months due to consistently moist soil). They like a drying period, and high light. Probably not a great long term candidate.

Ficus benjamina (weeping fig) is a commonly used chameleon plant. The sap may irriate your skin, so be warned! They prefer moderate to high light, and can be a touch fussy.

I've considered Japanese maple before. Pretty plants! Non toxic, though I'm not sure how well they'd do in a chameleon enclosure long term.

Red rip photinia is an evergreen shrub commonly used for outdoor hedges. Non-toxic, but I don't know how it'd do in an enclosure. Looks like it grows pretty big, pretty fast!

Olive trees (I'm assuming olea europea?) - again, safe but doubtful it'd survive long term. They're a Mediterranean plant, and actually like it a bit on the dry side.

Ferns - that's a very broad category! But I can't think of any that are actually harmful. Boston ferns are very hardy, and provide good foliage cover. Keep an eye on your cham - I've heard stories of some veileds mowing down on the fronds and swallowing huge lengths that may cause issuses

TL;DR: like @jamest0o0 says, nothing inherently dangerous about any of those plants. But there are some very high lighting requirements for some, or enclosure incompatibilities

When looking for plants, make sure you also check out their care requirements first. Some of the plants on your list require dormancy such as a Japanese maples. Dormancy occurs in non-evergreen trees and plants during the colder months of the year. These plants have evolved over a long period of time (like our chameleons) to require certain temp specifications. Just like chameleons need a nighttime drop, Japanese maples need to go dormant over a varying amount of time. If your enclosure is an outdoor enclosure, then a Japanese maple would be fine, but the indoors just don't get cold enough for a Japanese maple year round. Though, it could be cool to have seasonal enclosures. Once dormancy occurs, you could bring your Japanese maple inside and put it in your cham cage until the cold season arrives again.

On one forum I read, some dude said that they need 1000 hours of temps under 40 degrees to be able to bud in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom