Help with new Cham.

Mckenna

Hi! I’m new to Cham ownership but have previous experience with reptiles. I just got a Jackson chameleon yesterday, I’m unsure of his age, I believe he is on the younger side not an adult. When I got him (at a reptile expo) he was brown and he is still dark. I’ve also noticed he’s been keeping his eyes closed quite a bit during the day and staying in the same spot. He will occasionally move around a little to hunt but staying in the same area (near the dripper system “the little dripper”) So far today i have only witnessed him eat 2 crickets but there are more in his cage if he were to want them. I’m curious is there anything i should do, or if these are warning signs to something more serious. If there is any other info that will help I can include it and thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 71
Based on your pic and with you saying he has been dark for a while now I’m assuming. His basking light is not some where he can perch and warm up you want to have a basking spot in the mid 70’s. You also should fill out form camochamelonshume is referring to you will help the community help you with your husbandry.

Your Cham: Jackson’s chameleon, male and unsure of age seller did not know age, definitely not fully grown.
Handling: has only been handled once which was to put him in the cage.
Feeding: I put 7 crickets in his cage in his cage I’ve only witness him eat 2, at around 1-2 is when I feed him. ( I work and this is the time I can 100% be there to feed)
Supplements: repti calcium without D3 applied yesterday, I will use repti calcium with D3 and rep cal multivitamins once a month.
Fecal: I have not seen any yet
History: he was purchased at a reptile expo, 30 minute drive home. When I got him he did seem thin to me

Watering: there is the little dripper system set up and I most twice a day
Cage: screen, 16 L x 16 W x 30 H (I’m aware this is not big enough for a adult Cham and will upgrade in a month or two depending on growth)
Lights: zoo med 60W daylight blue reptile bulb, reptisun 5.0 UVB 13W im a dual lamp fixture. On at 8 AM and off at 8PM
Temperature: cage floor- 70 degrees F, basking 80 degrees F, at night the temperature is around 70 degrees F (house temp)
Humidity: varys between 40-60 mostly around 45-50 and is measured with a humidity thermometer. The little dripper and misting maintains those temps through the day.
Plants: only fake plants at the moment, will most likely get real plants when upgrading to larger tank.
Placement: not near air vents, there is a small fan on the opposite side of my room that’s sometimes on but it doesn’t seem to affect the temp of the cage, not a high traffic area but it is my bedroom so there is a bit of movement coming from me.
Problem: I got him Sunday (two days ago) and he is still darker (more pics will be included) He is also staying in the same area and not exploring his new home, yesterday he had his eyes closed during the day but so far today he’s had his eyes open.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 72
Seems pretty good. I would bump the d3/ vitamins to twice a month instead of once, just dust them every other week. Jackson’s like high humidity. I’m not a fan of fake plants but you can use them along with some real plants. Real plants will certainly help with humidity and will fill that cage out much better and give him some places to climb and hide. Try and get some tall ones that will fill out the top of that cage so he can bask with those lights. No substrate needed on the bottom trust me it’s just a pain use either news paper or even better nothing. Humidity is key, good having the dripper. Always have this going throughout the day have it dripping on the leaves and have something catching the water on the bottom. Need to mist throughout the day 4 times or more id soak that cage. He’s just getting used to his cage all cams act weird the first week coming home so I wouldn’t worry.

Seems pretty good. I would bump the d3/ vitamins to twice a month instead of once, just dust them every other week. Jackson’s like high humidity. I’m not a fan of fake plants but you can use them along with some real plants. Real plants will certainly help with humidity and will fill that cage out much better and give him some places to climb and hide. Try and get some tall ones that will fill out the top of that cage so he can bask with those lights. No substrate needed on the bottom trust me it’s just a pain use either news paper or even better nothing. Humidity is key, good having the dripper. Always have this going throughout the day have it dripping on the leaves and have something catching the water on the bottom. Need to mist throughout the day 4 times or more id soak that cage. He’s just getting used to his cage all cams act weird the first week coming home so I wouldn’t worry.
Thank you I will do that, I do have a small bowl with moss at the bottom catching the water, what real plants would you recommend me getting to give him more space to climb and hide? Just worried because I know what sensitive creatures chams are

Looks to be your on the right track I would change your UVB light for a Reptisun T5 HO or Arcadia T5. And like said above change your D3 and multivitamins to 2 times a month I do mine every Friday switching between D3 and Multivitamins. And would put some vertical perching branches and add a live plant or 2.

Looks to be your on the right track I would change your UVB light for a Reptisun T5 HO or Arcadia T5. And like said above change your D3 and multivitamins to 2 times a month I do mine every Friday switching between D3 and Multivitamins. And would put some vertical perching branches and add a live plant or 2.
Thank you I will definetly do that. I’m going to get a real plant today so if there are any plants that would be particularly good please let me know. I was thinking about an umbrella plant, also when adding the plant should I take him out or leave him in?

Careful there. I know you are trying to help, but the OP has a Jackson's chameleon, which does not have the same supplementing schedule as veileds and panthers. Please don't advise people on species you aren't familiar with. Even with good intentions, it can lead to a sick or dead animal.

Thank you I will do that, I do have a small bowl with moss at the bottom catching the water, what real plants would you recommend me getting to give him more space to climb and hide? Just worried because I know what sensitive creatures chams are

Heya. Just wanted to reply directly to you to make sure you see this. Please do not increase D3/multivitamin doses to twice a month. The person that recommended that to you probably doesn't know much about Jackson's supplement needs. Once a month for D3 and multivitamin is actually correct for your species :)

Just got some live plants so hopefully he will want to move around some more and is more comfortable with more cover. Thanks for all the advice

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom