Help with juvenile Panther Chameleon

Treat

I’m watching my cousin’s Panther Chameleon and it’s starting to alarm me as it spends some time near the bottom with dark coloration. It’s fed 5-6 crickets a day, misted 3 times a day, has a heat and UV bulb, kept in a quiet area, and not handled at all. I think it’s stressed but I figure out why.

Hello and welcome!!
The best way to ask for help on here is to fill out this form I posted below. I know it's a lot of information but people can start to narrow down stressors caused from husbandry issues. The more details the better! And definitely post some pics of the set up and the chameleon. 😊

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I’m watching my cousin’s Panther Chameleon and it’s starting to alarm me as it spends some time near the bottom with dark coloration. It’s fed 5-6 crickets a day, misted 3 times a day, has a heat and UV bulb, kept in a quiet area, and not handled at all. I think it’s stressed but I figure out why.
How long has it been in your possession? Chameleons (and some other reptiles) can go through "relocation stress". You can look that up in the archives or on google. If this is the first or second day you've had him/her, this could be what's going on. It's normal, and may last a couple days to a week—usually nothing to worry about—just leave him/her alone when not feeding, misting, etc.

If you've had him/her longer than a few days, it would be a good idea to fill out the questionnaire GrayMadder posted above. If possible, include pics of the enclosure from top to bottom, showing the lights, living space, and bottom (drainage or whatever).

It’s a 5 month old Male Panther Chameleon and has been in my care for about a week now. I don’t handle it at all as I know it causes the Chameleon stress. I don’t know the specific brand of the lights but I keep one of the lights on all night and turn the other on at 11 and off at 11. I’m currently feeding it about 5-6 crickets and I’m not gut-loading them as I don’t know much about the process. I’m not really giving it any supplements or anything as it wasn’t handed to me when he gave me the items to care for it for the rest of the week. I must with a spray bottle and I try to put enough to get the leaves wet so he can drink. I’ve seen it drink once but not any other times. It’s fecal matter is a very dark brown but I have not seen any urine. I don’t know if it’s been tested for parasites or anything about it really. It’s in a screen tank with mesh on all sides. I’m not sure about the dimensions but I’m sure it’s plenty of room for the Chameleon. The temp range is 70-90 degrees and I measure them with a thermometer. The humidity is around 50% and I maintain it with occasional sprays of mist from a bottle. I measure it using a hygrometer. I was not given live plants in the set up which I know is a bad thing since it nibbles on them a lot. The cage is located near a 40 gallon aquarium (I specialize in aquatic animals) and I’ve turned off any air stones that might be too noisy for him. His cage sits on a 2 foot table that’s located in an area that’s mostly occupied by me. I do like to have a fan in my room but I don’t know if it’s causing him any stress. I am located in Michigan in the United States of America. I don’t really know much about reptiles as I’m more into aquatic animals but I’m trying my best to get as much help as possible and to make sure it’s ok.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 80
It’s a 5 month old Male Panther Chameleon and has been in my care for about a week now. I don’t handle it at all as I know it causes the Chameleon stress. I don’t know the specific brand of the lights but I keep one of the lights on all night and turn the other on at 11 and off at 11.
OK, 12/12 on/off is a good interval, but ALL lights should be OFF at night, whether it's a factor in the current problem or not—just good husbandry. ;)

I’m currently feeding it about 5-6 crickets and I’m not gut-loading them as I don’t know much about the process.
It's very simple, but highly recommended. We just had a thread where several people (self included) mention they gut load as regular feeding so as to keep healthi(er) feeders ready to "give their all" at all times. :D There are charts on what to feed, and in what proportions here.

Chameleon Care Images

I’m not really giving it any supplements or anything as it wasn’t handed to me when he gave me the items to care for it for the rest of the week.
For just a week, it should be fine. If you wind up caring for longer/long-term, please come back and someone can help you with supplements.

I must with a spray bottle and I try to put enough to get the leaves wet so he can drink. I’ve seen it drink once but not any other times.
How often? Best to mist twice a day, near lights-on and lights-off. I like to mist halfway between as well, but if not possible due to working/school, etc. it's probably OK.

It’s fecal matter is a very dark brown but I have not seen any urine.
Reptiles don't urinate; they excrete "urates" (the white/off-white part of the stool). Best if it's slightly off-white/cream colored, but again, short term. If there's a problem, I'd make a note to give to the owner when your cousin collects him.

I don’t know if it’s been tested for parasites or anything about it really.
For a week or two, that shouldn't be your responsibility. Parasites generally take longer than that to develop, so if he has any, he most likely had them already.

It’s in a screen tank with mesh on all sides. I’m not sure about the dimensions but I’m sure it’s plenty of room for the Chameleon. The temp range is 70-90 degrees and I measure them with a thermometer. The humidity is around 50% and I maintain it with occasional sprays of mist from a bottle. I measure it using a hygrometer. I was not given live plants in the set up which I know is a bad thing since it nibbles on them a lot.
Panthers don't generally nibble. Could it be drinking? They do drink by licking (or maybe what looks like nibbling) water off of the leaves. Live plants do help establish & maintain humidity, but again, short-term—not your responsibility. If it winds up permanent, or you decide to get one of your own, let's talk! :)

The cage is located near a 40 gallon aquarium (I specialize in aquatic animals) and I’ve turned off any air stones that might be too noisy for him. His cage sits on a 2 foot table that’s located in an area that’s mostly occupied by me. I do like to have a fan in my room but I don’t know if it’s causing him any stress. I am located in Michigan in the United States of America. I don’t really know much about reptiles as I’m more into aquatic animals but I’m trying my best to get as much help as possible and to make sure it’s ok.
The fan shouldn't be a problem. From Wikipedia:
[C]hameleons do not have an outer or a middle ear, so there is neither an ear opening nor an eardrum. However, chameleons are not deaf: they can detect sound frequencies in the range of 200–600 Hz.

It really would help if you could/would copy/paste the questionnaire into a post on this thread, and edit in your answers/info. in bold or another color. The folks here are used to dealing with that form regularly, so it's easier for them to spot potential problems & offer help. Same with the pics. It's really S.O.P. here.

So as @Klyde O'Scope has mentioned there are several things wrong w the set up and some wrong things that are happening in his care that can cause stress.

When does the chameleon go back home? I would definitely let your cousin know you found out some things about the care and suggest your cousin come here for some help. We would all be happy to help. And that way we can get as much info as possible from your cousin and help them out! Just an idea. 😊

So as @Klyde O'Scope has mentioned there are several things wrong w the set up and some wrong things that are happening in his care that can cause stress.

When does the chameleon go back home? I would definitely let your cousin know you found out some things about the care and suggest your cousin come here for some help. We would all be happy to help. And that way we can get as much info as possible from your cousin and help them out! Just an idea. 😊
That sounds great! It goes back home on Thursday and I’m trying my best to provide the most for it.

Yes I’ve been considering a Jackson’s Chameleon. I’ve done loads of research on them and I’m sure I can match it’s needs. I know Chameleons aren’t the easiest to take care of but I know that almost every animal is that way. Even animals like guppies and hamsters need some level of care.

Even animals like guppies and hamsters need some level of care.
LOL! :LOL: I've had both at various times, and many more. Hamsters can be a scream.

I wanted a Jackson's too, but I can't provide the necessary nighttime temperature drop,
so I have a panther instead. No regrets. 😄

Back
Top Bottom