Help with hissers????

laurie

Retired Moderator
does anyone know if hissing cockroaches can swim? I have been told I am dead if any get out! I need them for my boy Titan, but do not want to explain a lose one. I have the containers that " seal" but I had green banana roaches get out of the seal. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Hissers are much largers than green banana roaches and don't compress as well. Do you have sealing gasket bins? those work the best in my opinion for climbers. They thing with green banana roaches and super small climbers is they can easily find poor sealing places in the seal and just squeeze out. Hissers have issues squeezing out of anywhere. I used to have three huge madagascar hissers (before I realized I didn't do well with them in general as a roach) and I didn't even have gasket bins for them, and though they used to climb right towards the lip of the bin where they attached the lid they never tried to leave (not sure if they could but yeah). They didn't seem worried about getting out.

I do know that some species of cockroach can swim but I don't know if hissers do. They can climb almost everything so I can understand why you asked. I wonder if you could figure out something like using those sticky mouse traps so that only escapees would end up on them?

I think the larger hissers could "swim" unless the water was deep it could be a possible issue. The nymphs would drown I think in any depth unless they could stand.

I may be so sorry I bought hissers! I am really troubled here as I want Titan to have the very best variety I can provide, but if one gets out I am double dead! Both David and Mary, our roommate, say I will die

Why not put one in another bin as suggested and put water in the bigger bin and try putting a hisser in to see what happens?

Is it bad that I feel horrible for that hisser? I know they are feeders and I know @laurie will likely rescue the nymphs before it drowns... but all I can think is awww, that is such a waste of a good insect (either pet or feeder).... I know I am weird especially considering hissers aren't necessarily my favorite insects to keep.

I just use Vaseline around the edges of any bin I have to keep ants from trying to get in, tends to keep keep climbers from climbing out. Put a smaller plastic shoebox with a ventilated lid inside the bigger bins. easier to clean too since you just pick up the shoe box, plus you can put a lid on one and stack them too....

I just use Vaseline around the edges of any bin I have to keep ants from trying to get in, tends to keep keep climbers from climbing out. Put a smaller plastic shoebox with a ventilated lid inside the bigger bins. easier to clean too since you just pick up the shoe box, plus you can put a lid on one and stack them too....

I guess I just need to text you with all my questions!!! I feel like I already ask you a million questions a day! Thanks much, glad you still like me ***** so far

Vaseline doesn't work on my ants and it annoys me a lot in general. My ants create ant bridges like smart little brats. Can't help but admire them <3

Sorry Ralph, I have to agree with Andee, I haven't had much luck with vaseline. It seems to get a skin on it and ants and baby roaches can walk over it.
Laurie, have you considered Blaberous (orange heads) roaches they get bigger than the Dubia. They don't climb well or fly? How about some of those cave roaches, they get REALLY big?

Cave roaches have a really strong defensive odor and can be harder to raise than most species, especially giant cave species, because getting them to adult hood is really really hard because of hard molts.

I would actually look at six spot roaches, I have been considering raising them as a feeder to sell for those who raise giant species of reptiles. They get as long etc, as orange heads but are heavier in body weight than them.

Cave roaches have a really strong defensive odor and can be harder to raise than most species, especially giant cave species, because getting them to adult hood is really really hard because of hard molts.

I would actually look at six spot roaches, I have been considering raising them as a feeder to sell for those who raise giant species of reptiles. They get as long etc, as orange heads but are heavier in body weight than them.
Are they as easy to raise as blaberous?

They are the same general family as orange heads. Orange heads are not blaberus sp and not a blaptica sp, they are eublaberus. Which is why they have slightly different needs than dubia (a blaptica species) and discoids (a blaberus species). In my opinion all eublaberus species would do better if kept on substrate because of their moisture/humidity needs but they technically do survive without it. There is just far more wing chewing.

Back
Top Bottom