Help with heating situation

ktravelet

Alright so my setup is a zoo-med combo light over a large alii ficus tree (free range) I put regular 65 watt light bulbs in the hood (3), and have another 75 watt (specific daytime bulb) for the basking.

Wasting all this energy is really bothering me. I want to put super white CFL's in the hood and use a ceramic heater to increase the top for basking. Does anyone have any experiance with these? what wattage should I get?

I also dont like my current set up's temperature gradient. the basking is around 85, but never over 90 (seems a tad to low), and a large portion of the plant is in the high 70's low 80's.

Oh yea I have a 8 month old female veiled. She gets sprayed twice a day, humidity is around 50%, obviously higher when I spray.

Still feeding here daily at 10 large crickets a day, she also eats the pothos when she fells sorry about murdering all those crickets.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't have any experience with ceramic heaters but I noticed you said that you want your basking spot higher than 90? Ideal basking temps for a f veiled are around 82, 85 tops. You also may want to start feeding your girl a bit less as she is getting to the age of sexual maturity (is she getting her adult oranges/blue yet?) The reason for starting to feed less and keeping temps a bit reduced is to slow down her metabolism a bit to reduce the size of your females infertile clutch and/or developing eggs at all. Large clutches are hard on a female and they tend to take from how long she will live.

Yea, for a female you'd want to stay in the 80-82 range. And you want to feed more like 8-12 crickets every other day, to keep her metabolism slower. Like Mike said, it can help add more healthy years to her life :)

That being said, I don't know much about bulbs either.

Thanks a lot guys. She has not developed her blues yet, still just green. Also she hasnt been gravid yet either, or ever shown signs (not eating, dark, low in cage). Is she a late developer possibly?

Definiately a girl as well because because of no spurs. I can attatch pictures if needed.

we all like pics. I believe my girl was approx 8 months when she started to develop her adult colours so I'm thinking you will see some changes pretty soon.

Alright heres a pic of when I first got her in may, and now. Pics arent the greatest, they are taken from phones.

Hanket_Baby.jpg

Hanket.jpg

Back
Top Bottom