Help with gut loading locus

brent007

Hi all, i have a cham and at the moment am feeding him locus aswell as other things, but what i want to know is instead of feeding the locus veg ive been told about feeding them fish flakes, has anyone tried this or know anything about it, the person who told me has a dragon and he does this because the fish flake is full of protein

Can anyone help please

Absolutely NOT on the fish flakes! Too much protein causes gout I believe and it's BAD for your cham! Look at the ingredients on the fish flakes and tell me if it's something YOU would eat.

thanyou very much for your quick repost, just wasent sure as like i said i know people that do it for bearded dragons

It is NOT recommended you use fish flakes as a gutload. A few fish flakes in the cricket/locus diet now and then wont be catastrophic. But as noted above too much animal protein could lead to gout. Fish foods can also contain retinol and other vitamins that you may not want going into your chameleon in high amounts

ok guys, thanks alot, ill give that a miss then, and syn im very much aware that they are 2 DIFFERENT kind of creatures, but advice from others is always better to get than relying on the comments of one person

Thanks again for all your comments

It was a good question - I'm glad you asked.
I used to give my roaches fish flakes, not all the time, but still - because someone told me it was a great idea. I found out quite a bit later that this wasnt such a fantastic idea! Good for the roaches, not so good for the chameleon who eats the roaches!
:)

thankyou sandrachameleon for understanding my question, im glad some of you could help and answer me. Although i have a cham and have kept other lizards before, i dont confess to know everything and beleive no-one does or can, but useing a forum as this is what they are here for can get many questions answerd

Again thankyou all

Back
Top Bottom