Help with age and sex of baby veiled chameleon :)

Rodgersa34

Hi everyone! This is my first posting on this site! I received this little guy or what suppose to be a male on the 11th of last month and I am not sure if he is really a he or a she and what age he is. I'm thinking around 2 months old. Please help me! This is my first chameleon and I'm just in love with him. I also have 2 crested geckos and 1 tokay gecko!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 2,587
Help me sex my baby veiled chameleon!

Hi everyone! This is my first posting on this site! I received this little guy or what suppose to be a male on the 11th of last month and I am not sure if he is really a he or a she and what age he is. I'm thinking around 2 months old. Please help me! This is my first chameleon and I'm just in love with him. I also have 2 crested geckos and 1 tokay gecko!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 945
Welcome to the forums. My that is a little guy. I noticed he has his eye closed. Is it night time? Sleeping during the day is a sign that your Cham has a health proclaim. My guess on the age would be one to two months old. You can tell the sex by looking at the heels on the back feet. The males will have a bump on the back of their heel. I would recommend you fill out the health form linked below. I also have a couple of links about general care fir your veiled.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Welcome to the forum! I merged your two threads so we had both photos in one place, in the right forum. You'll get better replies this way :)

Jann, has given you excellent advice. I you post a photo of the back of your baby's heels, we can see if you have a boy or a girl.

That picture was taking at night when he was sleeping. He doesn't sleep during the daytime. I'm trying to upload a picture of his back legs but my phone is being slow. I think I seen bumps on his legs and then I don't. He is just so small it's hard for me to tell. When I ordered him the guy said he was 3 inches but when I got him he was smaller then that. I had to go buy him a smaller cage and everything but he is all settled in now and seems pretty happy to me. I can only get him to eat fruit flies though. Is that a problem? Because you can't dusted them or anything.

Lol thank you! I didn't realize I put it in the wrong one until after I posted it. But it would be so much easier to get around on a computer instead of a IPhone.

That picture was taking at night when he was sleeping. He doesn't sleep during the daytime. I'm trying to upload a picture of his back legs but my phone is being slow. I think I seen bumps on his legs and then I don't. He is just so small it's hard for me to tell. When I ordered him the guy said he was 3 inches but when I got him he was smaller then that. I had to go buy him a smaller cage and everything but he is all settled in now and seems pretty happy to me. I can only get him to eat fruit flies though. Is that a problem? Because you can't dusted them or anything.

You can dust the fruit flies by putting them in a bag with calcium dust in it and shaking them up before feeding. For his bones to stay healthy he needs plain calcium, calcium with d3 and a multi vitamin. I would feed him a variety of feeders....he's not going to grow on fruit flies alone. At least get him some small crickets.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon. I received him on April 11th and I'm guessing his is 2 months old

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I handle him about every other day. I read not to handle them to much as a baby.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I can only get him to eat flightless fruit flies bc the crickets around here are to big.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I tried to dust the fruit flies but it didn't turn out so good so I haven't been using any kind of vitamins or calcium but I bought Zoo Med reptivite reptile vitamins and I have flickers calcium with vitamin d3

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist him around 3 to 4 times a day and I have a dripper set up that I run 2 times a day but I haven't seen him drink.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has been doing his business just fine but I haven't tested him for parasites or anything.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I don't have any other info other then I bought him from theveiledchameleon.com

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? He is in a 16x16x20 all screened cage

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have the reptisun 5.0, 60 watt red night light, and 50 watt powersun basketing light.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The cage floor is around the 70s and top of the cage is in the 80s with 90s in basking area and at night it goes into the 70s throughout the entire cage.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? It stays around 20 to 30 percent

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a live schefflera plant in his cage that i repotted with orangic soil and a fake pothos vine in his cage. I also have a real pothos plant that I reported with orangic soil but I haven't introduced him to it yet bc he is so small I don't wanna lose him.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? He is on my night stand right by my bed

Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in Oklahoma

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Just wanna make sure I have everything right for him and want to make sure he is a he and not a she. And wanna make sure he is eating okay

Pictures are helpful

I tried feeding him the small crickets from petco but they just scared him so I fed them to my tokay gecko. I can't find pinhead crickets anywhere around where I live I also tried small meal worms and superworms but they are all to big for him. :(

Most of the time you have to order small crickets on line. I know i always have to. He should be eating 1/4 inch crickets but to be on the safe side get 1/8 inch. You really need to checkout my blog and get your husbandry corrected. No red light and that power sun light is way to powerful for him and his basking temps are too hot. I'm not trying to be mean but from the pictures he doesn't look to good. If you want this little guy to live and be healthy you need to change your husbandry right away.

Your not being mean I appreciate the time you are taking to answer my questions. Could you please send me the link? I don't know where to find it on your profile.

Your not being mean I appreciate the time you are taking to answer my questions. Could you please send me the link? I don't know where to find it on your profile.

The link is above but here you go again.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

The third link I gave you above show what the spur looks like on their heel. I really couldn't tell from your picture.
This is an adult veiled....your babies would be MUCH smaller.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Back
Top Bottom