HELP! What is this?

mr_goodbytes

Mouth-Rot, Bad Tooth, Infection, Gum Disease ????

Can anyone recommend a Veterinarian for Panther Chameleons in the Sacramento, CA area? (I live in Roseville, CA)

Please ask questions!
Here's the details:

Current Cage: Zoo-Med ReptiBreeze 16x16x30 Screened Cage

Temperature HIGHS: 100F
Humidity HIGHS: 81%
Temperature LOWS: 72F
Humidity LOWS: 28%
Average Temperature: 87F
Average Humidity: 44%

ESTIMATED DOB: 03-20-2016?

Shed Schedule:
05-20-2016
06-01-2016
06-20-2016
07-04-2016

Observations:
Wakes up at 7AM and sleep at 7PM. Active during the day, may rest with his head down occasionally but is awake. His eating habits are consistent, is always ready to eat 2-3 times a day. I dust insects in Supplement powder twice a week. He is given crickets in the morning and then a mix between our available insects ( & more crickets) at the time in the afternoon and maybe a snack in the evening (see list below). In time (he's still young) he has learned to come outside of his cage when the front cage door is open and will willingly come onto my hand. I lightly rubbed the sore spots with a wet q-tip. He pulled away, but not as if it caused pain, but more because he just simply doesnt like things close to his head. In my opinion, it looks painful.

Concern:
There are two (bumps, sores) near the tip of his mouth. Both spots are on the lower jaw and are just about opposite of each other, one spot on each side of him. One is slighly further back than the other. When looking down on him from above there is a bevel in the infected area which pretrudes outward. This can be seen on both sides when looking down. Upon close inspection there can be seen some yellow (possible crusty) formation on the outside of the infected area. There could be slight browning seen when looking from above him

Feeding:
Crickets (Feed: Oranges, Carrots, Apple, Celery, Romaine, Oats, Powdered Insects/Honey)
Small - Large Phoenix Worms
Dubia Roaches (Feed: Oranges, Carrots, Apple, Celery, Romaine, Oats, Powdered Insects/Honey)
Mealworms (Occasionally)
Black Soldier Flies (occasionally)
Horn Worms (occasionally)

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 172
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 148
Welcome to the forums! That's a good looking boy you have. I'm not sure what that is going on with his mouth. If you can take a good look inside his mouth and see if there's anything going on in that area. I'll look around and see if I can find a member here in your area and see what vet they use for their chameleon. A check up is always a good idea and be sure to take a poop so the vet can do a fecal and check for parasites. IMO you are keeping him way to hot. I bask panthers in the mid 80' no more that 87 or 88 tip top heat. I'd also recommend better gut loading. I'll edit and add a vet just as soon as I find you one.

Marianne Brick DVM
8520 Fair Oaks, CA
(916) 961-1541

Thank You for your time. I'll go out and buy a dimmable setup for the basking lamp. I'll try and get a picture of inside his mouth. Instead of waiting for that opportune moment, any suggestions on how I can get him to open his mouth. Like how when he yawns. I imagine a vet would typically force the mouth open somehow, I'm confident I'd be able to do so with some direction.

Feed him and see if his mouth opens enough. It could be any of the things you mentioned you'll need a vet to do a culture on it to see what it is. Jann will guide you in that regard she's like our vet watch dog.

I'm going to try for a better picture tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20160715_185141.jpg
    IMG_20160715_185141.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20160715_185139.jpg
    IMG_20160715_185139.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 140
Here is a link to a panther care sheet here on the Forums: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Baby panthers less than 9 months of age need an ambient temperature of 72-80 with basking at 82F.

Your little boy is very colorful. What's his name?

I'm not seeing any black in his mouth so perhaps you caught it in the early stages when it's more amendable to treatment.

Keep us posted. Please let us know what the vet says. That's how we learn from one another how to be better cham parents.

Good luck!

His name is Geoffrey :cool:

Today, the bulging on both sides seems to have gone down a bit. I used a Q-Tip with some Hydrogen Peroxide and dabbed the infected area. He would lick his lips shortly after and I could easily see him rolling his tongue through his gums (between his teeth and lips) I was able to sneak the Q-Tip in the area when he opened his mouth and did a rolling action to lift anything that may be caught in there. I did see some black particles (cricket, black Phoenix worm leftovers) lift up on his tongue when he was cleaning.

On a side note, his nostril seems to have leftover shed inside and now it's mixed with the excreted mineral and vitamins that comes out his nostrils (I've cut back the supplements). I've spent careful time clearing what I can with tweezers, it's hard to tell if it's affecting his breathing or not. Any remedies?

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

He's still eating, drinking and plenty active. Seemed a bit upset after putting him back in his cage, but his colors are back norm soon after.

Back
Top Bottom