Help! What is this thing?

I just got my 16 month old Panther and he seems perfectly fine, besides the fact that I found THIS in his cage. It was there when I got him but I thought it was part of the plant before because I could only see the red. What is this thing and is my cham on?

Attachments

• 0125171502.jpg
    0125171502.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 256
hmm, it looks like poop, but the red should be his pee. how is the humidity and water in take? also get him to a vet immediately with that sample or a freshone if you can.

It was in the poor little guys cage when I got him. If he has another I'll have no choice but to make a vet visit but anyone's info and help would really be appreciated. Not sure if I can afford a vet. I know anyone owning one of these should expect it to be expensive but I got him as a rescue. He was living in an enclosure comparable to a 10g tank and was severely neglected

Hes dehydrated, if you can get some caterpillars(slikworms/hornworms etc) in him he will perk right back up. You can also try dunking some feeders in water if he tong feeds. Else just the normal misting and drippers.

I dont think it merits a vet visit at this point if that is the only problem with the cham. It never hurts to have an initial vet visit with a fecal exam just to check for parasites etc.

If he's been neglected and your rescuing him then a vet visit really is a must, how can he be fine and severely neglected at the same time? Sure you can get him hydrated and under the correct lighting on your own but to get the animal on a road to recovery then a fecal and vet exam is necessary.

They fed him reguarly and hand misted him daily the main issue was the size of his enclosure and that he had no heat lamp. He's active and ate 15 crickets the day they brought him. But I don't think they misted him enough or cleaned his cage enough. Thus the neglect. Other than the dropping though he seems ok. He's active and wakes and sleeps at regular intervals. This is a current picture. Right now I have him in a 24x36x48 with two part ficus and a basking zone 10in from a 75 watt bulb and a uvb on the other side of the cage. He gets 4 .istings a day and a 3 hour drip twice a day. I out 15 crickets in his cage each day but I don't think he eats many of them. They might just be hiding. He doesn't eat in front of me. I also have super worms in there. I WILL take him to the vet but I can't yet. If there anything else I can do to help feed and hydrate him I would greatly appreciate some input.

Attachments

• 0125172009.jpg
    0125172009.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 139
Thank you. I've stepped up his mistings and I've set up a dripper for him. Hopefully than helps. I'll search for some silkworkms.

Mist him for hours at a time. That red is evidence of dehydration.

Sometimes as they get older and don't defecate as often, one end of the urate (the white part which in your picture is red) will be dark yellow/orange, but the rest will be white. That's okay. That your chameleon's urate has no white is very worrying.

Back
Top Bottom