Help! What are these? Should I throw these dubias out?

KatotheChameleon

Established Member
Bought 1000 Dubia Roaches at this weekends reptile expo and when I put them in their new holding area, I found these weird worm like things! Are these bad? Can anyone identify them? Should I get rid of these dubias? 😩

Attachments

• 43275800-3726-4301-B2AE-4E422333551D.jpeg
    43275800-3726-4301-B2AE-4E422333551D.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 73
Some sort of darkling beetle larvae. People use them as cleaner crew for many roaches. Probably a million threads just like this out there lol, harmless.
I looked at some of the threads but a lot of them had the black, fuzzy ones. They don’t seem to be bothering the Dubia’s so as long as they are just cleaning, I guess I’ll leave some of them in 😳😅

Those are buffalo beetles (Alphitobius diaperinus), also known as lesser mealworms, a species of darkling beetle like @jamest0o0 said.

They're interesting in that the larvae/worms get bigger than the beetles they pupate into... Helpful clean up crew, but can get a little overpopulated at times. I like to trap extras in my guns by leaving a 1" deep plastic dish with a bit of cat food (they love protein) in the bin. The roaches are big enough to get out (besides the occasional baby), but the beetles are stuck. They make a nice crunchy treat!

Back
Top Bottom