Help urgent

MekotheVeiled

My Veileds head is starting to turn some dark brown color I don't know why but it's not a mood change thing please if anyone knows what's happening let me know :( :( :( :( :(

tumblr_mssiveQ8JL1rwm9pio2_500.jpg

tumblr_mssiveQ8JL1rwm9pio1_500.jpg

Here's what he looks like :(

I would put him in a planter in the shower and let him in the "rain" for 15 minutes everyday for maybe a week, and up his regular drinking times. How do you give him water?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Veiled Got him in March
Handling - Not often
Feeding - gutloaded crickets 3-5 everyday
Supplements - calcium powder
Watering - mist 3-5 times a day and a dripper

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Glass, with screen top
Lighting - I use a night heat lamp at night, a daytime heat lamp during the day and a uvb light with the daytime heat lamp
Temperature - 90s
Humidity - 40-60%
Placement - Located next to window
Location - Texas

I would put him in a planter in the shower and let him in the "rain" for 15 minutes everyday for maybe a week, and up his regular drinking times. How do you give him water?

I have a dripper and I've seen him drink out of the little bowl that catches the water and sometimes when he eats I try and get some water in his mouth while he's chewing or his tongue is out

Chameleon Info:
Handling - Not often

Cage Info:
Lighting - I use a night heat lamp at night, a daytime heat lamp during the day and a uvb light with the daytime heat lamp
Temperature - 90s
Humidity - 40-60%
Location - Texas

You need to fill out every single question and be as detailed as possible.

First off, stop using the light at night. They need a drop in temperature at night and can handle down into the 50's for the temp during this time. You need to be exact with your temperatures when filing out the form.

You need to feed more than you are.
What are you using for your gutload?
What type of calcium powder? Does it contain D3?
How often are you dusting the crickets?
How long are you misting for when you are misting?
Are the misting throughout the entire day or only in the mornings and late afternoon or evenings?
How old is your UVB bulb?
Is it a linear bulb or a coil bulb?

Everything on that form is very important and is necessary for you to get the help that you are asking for.

Also I did not see but put live plants with him veiled s can eat them to help supplement their needs

Chameleon Info:
Handling - Not often

Cage Info:
Temperature - 90s
Humidity - 40-60%
Location - Texas

Feeding: gutloaded with what? Also try to vary his diet. Roaches, silkworms, and especially try some hornworms now, they help for dehydrated chams as they have a high water content.

Supplements: be more specific, what brand, with or without D3 and how often.

Watering: how long do you mist each time?

Is it a vivarium with ventilation on the bottom or an aquarium?

Heat lamp at night isn't needed unless your house is getting to the mid to low 50s and then NO light, red or otherwise, it disturbs their sleep and will shorten their life.

90s is probably too hot unless your talking about the basking spot. Aim for a basking spot in the 90s with a gradient towards the bottom to maybe high 70s low 80s and that is only for the heat of the day, cooler areas should be available earlier.

Maybe try to bump humidity a bit.

Next to the window can cause issues, especially in a glass tank. Does it get any direct sun? Does the terrarium heat up beyond the 90s during the heat of the day?

How close and hot is the basking heat bulb? The brown mayy be a burn. Clarify and those who know a bit more than me can possibly help better.

You need to fill out every single question and be as detailed as possible.

First off, stop using the light at night. They need a drop in temperature at night and can handle down into the 50's for the temp during this time. You need to be exact with your temperatures when filing out the form.

You need to feed more than you are.
What are you using for your gutload?
What type of calcium powder? Does it contain D3?
How often are you dusting the crickets?
How long are you misting for when you are misting?
Are the misting throughout the entire day or only in the mornings and late afternoon or evenings?
How old is your UVB bulb?
Is it a linear bulb or a coil bulb?

Everything on that form is very important and is necessary for you to get the help that you are asking for.

I'm gutloading them with the same cricket food petsmart does
Yes it contains D3
Once a month
I mist for 2-3 min
I mist throughout the day
uvb is coil because I cannot afford a linear just yet I know the coil causes problems
and the bulb is 3 months old

im still new to this..so im no experienced keeper, but he does look thin compared to other veileds ive seen on here. im rehabbing a male veiled back to health who was a skeleton..so thin his cheeks were sunken in and you could see his hip bones when i bought him..(he had serious attitude and the look in his eye of a fighter) and i feed him as much as hell eat...i bought a dozen dubia's bout 1-1.5 inches long and he ate all of them in a day plus about 10 crickets and lots and lots of water... i have a big dripper and i still mist him a minimum of 3 times a day he looks completely different now and its been a month..still lean but def alot better..

varied foods, plants are good my male loves his hibiscus and his grape vines, crickets dont seem to "stick" to him like dubia's and calci worms do but he ets a ton of crickets daily too..i havent done superworms b/c i read they arent all that good for them..maybe every once in a while as a treat but not a stable feeder...and alot of the other worms seem to be out of stock alot here lately on the sites

I'm gutloading them with the same cricket food petsmart does - This means nothing and you have to be more detailed.
Yes it contains D3 - You need Calcium with NO D3 daily. Calcium WITH D3 2 times per month, and a multivitamin 2 times per month.
Once a month
I mist for 2-3 min
I mist throughout the day
uvb is coil because I cannot afford a linear just yet I know the coil causes problems
and the bulb is 3 months old

Again, you are being way too vague with your answers and need to have very detailed answers.

Have you read the care sheet for a veiled chameleon yet?

You have not told us anything about the cage at all and there are questions about the cage that you need to answer. Please fill out the ENTIRE questionnaire with detailed answers so that we can help you.

Please take the time to read over this sheet. Read this and re-read this as many times as possible.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

I have only merely skimmed but I do notice there are quite a few care aspects that need improving for your little guy.

PetSmart's gutload is a high protein diet. I would discontinue using this for there are other options that will benefit your veiled's health -- https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/ (scroll down to gutload)

Back
Top Bottom