Help! spine spkies came off!

Xanadu

about a month and a half ago my cham got a burn from the heat lamp, since then i have moved it so that he can't get as close to it, and no other burns have occurred. he started shedding again this week and today i noticed that the spikes have completely come off. should i take him to a vet? heres a picture:

Attachments

• photo (29).jpg
    photo (29).jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 223
have you been treating the burn with anything?

More than likely the spikes (aka skin) died and fell off. WHich happens with burns.

No, haven't touched it, I don't want to do anything wrong with it. I assumed it would get better at some point, I knew it would take awhile. I didn't think it would fall off though. It's all pink in that area if you can see it in the picture, just don't want it to get infected or something.

If you go to a vet they will be able to prescribe antibiotics to fight any infection. Left untreated it could cause further problems as he tries to shed. It's good that the dead skin is coming off with the sheds, but I would still see a vet.

No, haven't touched it, I don't want to do anything wrong with it. I assumed it would get better at some point, I knew it would take awhile. I didn't think it would fall off though. It's all pink in that area if you can see it in the picture, just don't want it to get infected or something.

The dead burned tissue will be necrotic and eventually slough away. The best thing to put on the pink new tissue is Silvadene (a burn ointment your vet should probably have), but you could also put OTC Polysporin on it to protect it and reduce the chance of infections. It will take a while, but eventually the area will scar over and may get some color back over time depending on which layers of the skin are still OK.

When my chameleon burned himself, my vet told me that I could put bag balm or neosporin on it because they're not reptiles who lick themselves. If it's infected you'll probably want to see a vet for antibiotics.

Nothing is infected, it looks alright, it looks like a regular scar just more pink. I called the vet today and I'm making an appointment tomorrow. Thanks guys! :)

When my chameleon burned himself, my vet told me that I could put bag balm or neosporin on it because they're not reptiles who lick themselves. If it's infected you'll probably want to see a vet for antibiotics.

I've always read that the formulation of Polysporin works better on herp skin than Neosporin does. Basically, you want to protect the delicate new tissues and prevent bacterial infection as it heals, so using any of them is better than nothing. Not sure about the Bag Balm ingredients though. You don't want to seal out the air completely. Don't use anything with pain reliever.

Back
Top Bottom