Help! Some things wrong with my female velied chameleon.

Jian Zhang

This is a letter form Beijing.My female velied chameleon have some eggs without insemination in her body, I have waited about two months and prepared the box with the soil for her, but she never lay eggs until now,and even come close the box. Her body become more bigger, I really worried about it, Could you tell me what to do. how can make her to lay the egg? How long I should wait until she lay the eggs? Thank you so much.

Can you tell us more about the laying box you prepared? How big is it? What did you use in it for medium (sand, soil, other?) and how wet or dry is it?

How old is the chameleon?

Is she still eating? drinking?

Is she more active than usual? going to the bottom of the cage more?

Can you post a picture of her?

When I found her body became bigger. I put a plastic box in her cage,the color is white, the size is 20cm*10cm*15cm, I mixed coconut shred soil and a little roseites in it. She keeps her diet as usual, it is winter in my city.Because the cage is full, so I didn't see she pace around the bottom of the cage looking for a place to lay, but at night she like to go the bottom to sleep, may be it makes she feel better. I want to know whether she will not lay the eggs until she find a place she like? If she keep the eggs in her body too much time, I afraid it will injure herself. Thank you very much.

Can you post a picture please?
Do you use supplements?
Do you gutload/feed the insects a nutritious diet?
Do you have a UVB light on her cage?

How old is she?

She hasn't dug at all yet?

showimage.php

showimage.php

I dont know if that substrate will work, Ive read that playsand is a good substrate to use for a digging container and i think it has to be deeper than 15 cm i think it should be around a foot deep. And the substrate has to be moist so that it sticks together and wont cave in on your cham when she digs

Do you use supplements?
Do you gutload/feed the insects a nutritious diet?
Do you have a UVB light on her cage?

Has she done any digging?

Thank you very much. I try to keep the soil wet but there is very dry in the winter of Beijing, you mean if the soil are dry, she won't like to chose it to lay the egg?

The soil does need to be a lot more moist. If you have access to sand, mix sand with the coco fiber and keep it moist - just had water until it sticks together, but doesn't drain from your hand when you squeeze it. I also think you need a bigger laying bin. I always use a separate good size plastic tub that I fill with a sand/soil mix, some branches and silk plants to climb on. I keep a screen over the top with a basking light. This has always worked to get mine to lay their eggs. If she doesn't find a spot she likes, she won't lay and can become egg-bound. If she becomes egg-bound she will need to see a vet ASAP or she could die. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom