Help! So many questions!

Axieglower

Hi everyone!
So first let me say I did a lot of reaseach and wait a little over 2 years before getting a chameleon. I have several questions I could really use help answering. I tend to freak out but when having a new pet so maybe I'm over reacting but I want to make sure I do the best for Pascal! (Female Veiled Chameleon) That being said I have found conflicting info online and wanted to hear from others who have owned female veiled chameleon.

Questions:
1. I was told they need a heat lamp at night - is this true? If so is the red bulb ok or will that effect their sleep?

2. My chameleon is about 3-4mo old I was told to give her 5-6 crickets each day but she always seems to be hungry. I gave her 8 one day to see and she gobbled them up so fast! Does she need more or could she eat herself sick?

3. I was told by one site dust with calcium every day and vitamins once a week is the correct others say every other day? Does it depend on their size or age?

4. What are the best ways to keep humidity up? (I live in Washington and though we have some rain humidity isn't that high)
5. Would a fogger help? Or stress her out?

6. Temps at night some sites say it should be 70's all the time others say they can drop and should drop at night to 60's is this true?

7. How do you know when they are shedding? I have a picture of that I think is the start but not sure. She has a few grey patches forming on her back. Is there any special things I need to know for shedding?

8. The last few pics are of her sides I don't know if she has to dry of skin or is this normal?

I've only had her 3 weeks and I just don't want to kill her or unententionally stress her out!!

Attachments

• IMG_6600.JPG
    IMG_6600.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6602.JPG
    IMG_6602.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6611.JPG
    IMG_6611.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6612.JPG
    IMG_6612.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6613.JPG
    IMG_6613.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 100
Hi everyone!
So first let me say I did a lot of reaseach and wait a little over 2 years before getting a chameleon. I have several questions I could really use help answering. I tend to freak out but when having a new pet so maybe I'm over reacting but I want to make sure I do the best for Pascal! (Female Veiled Chameleon) That being said I have found conflicting info online and wanted to hear from others who have owned female veiled chameleon.

Questions:
1. I was told they need a heat lamp at night - is this true? If so is the red bulb ok or will that effect their sleep?

Answer: No. They do not need a heat lamp at night, and do NOT put a red bulb in at night.

2. My chameleon is about 3-4mo old I was told to give her 5-6 crickets each day but she always seems to be hungry. I gave her 8 one day to see and she gobbled them up so fast! Does she need more or could she eat herself sick?

Answer: Typically female veileds will be little piggies. I've never had one, so please make sure you are researching from other sources on this, but you will need a laybin in your cage because she will have eggs even if never bred. As for eating, if you limit the amount she eats you may be able to limit the amount of times she cycles eggs. However, again, please research from other keepers on here who have had female veileds.

3. I was told by one site dust with calcium every day and vitamins once a week is the correct others say every other day? Does it depend on their size or age?

Answer: Suppliments are tricky, and really depend on what kinds of feeders you are feeding, and how much outside time she is getting to enjoy the sunshine. For me, I use Repashy Super Cal at every feeding for my male veiled, but I only feed him every other day since he's grown. I do skip dusting if I have had him outside, but again you need to do more research about this.

4. What are the best ways to keep humidity up? (I live in Washington and though we have some rain humidity isn't that high)

Answer: Live plants help a lot, and while I'm mentioning it, be careful of that pothos being so close to the basking light - it can dry out and start smoking.

5. Would a fogger help? Or stress her out?

Answer: I'd start with the live plants, and monitor it from there. If you need a fogger you can add it without any issue, but I would give her a larger cage.

6. Temps at night some sites say it should be 70's all the time others say they can drop and should drop at night to 60's is this true?

Answer: Yes, they need a drop at night, and can handle a drop into the 60s just fine.

7. How do you know when they are shedding? I have a picture of that I think is the start but not sure. She has a few grey patches forming on her back. Is there any special things I need to know for shedding?

Answer: You will see her shedding - when they are babies they will shed their entire bodies at one time. As they grow up they will only shed a body part at a time. As long as the shed comes off within a day or 2 you are just fine. When the shed stays longer (meaning it is retained), that's a sign you need higher humidity. Never pull off the shed.

8. The last few pics are of her sides I don't know if she has to dry of skin or is this normal?

Answer: Yes, to me it looks like she's starting to shed.

I've only had her 3 weeks and I just don't want to kill her or unententionally stress her out!!

Sorry, I'm not good at this quoting thing - the answers are under each question that I quoted! Good luck with her - do some more research and get her a larger cage with a laybin and I think you will be just fine.

Are you 100% sure she is female? Just asking as many people are told the wrong sex from pet stores and such. The males have little bumps on their back heals called tarsal spurs. If you post a pic of the back of the back feet, we can tell you for sure. If you don't have a female, then you don't need a laying bin!

Back
Top Bottom